New Metallica song

OK song. I guess Rick Rubin has a lot of work to do with this guys still. I definately think Rob Trujillo's (Suicidal Tendencies) addition on bass will give them a little more to play with heavy and fast riffs. I don't expect Master Of Puppets though (probably Lars Ulrich can't even play that whole masterpiece anymore).

Tanelorn said:
Some songs are good in concert but suck on an album, while others suck on albums but are incredible in concert. That could affect this, too.
-Tanelorn

I understand your point but if you look closely at your sentence you are basically saying the same thing twice !!

:loco:

Well, its a step up from the shit on St. Anger (but then again, could they get any worse than that album?).

It sounds more like something from the Load era which I did not care for either but was not total complete crap.

Nice to see the band jump off the 'solos are not that important' bandwagon which they were late on anyways. :rolleyes:

However, the problem with this song and prolly what will be the problem with the new album regardless of the possibility of improvement in the music department, is that James' singing is unbearable. His current style which started on the Black album has gotten more annoying with each album and from that new song, it seems to still freakin' suck. So, yeah add some double bass and a guitar solo but once James chimes in, its all down hill. :ill:

I like it. To me it sounded very thrashy and old school. More chaotic...

I haven't heard St. Anger, nor the last 2-3 albums in general. But this song is pretty good, and while the recording of it was horrible, I have hopes for how this ends up sounding on the album.

TBJ said:
You know, even though I agree with you about the guitar tone, i have to disagree on everything else.
First, they ALWAYS play stuff live out of almost every album , second, wtf are u talking about blastbeats??? Metallica never did blast beats as far as I remember.

What exactly is a blast beat if you don't mind me asking? :confused:

As for the band, they're a joke these days! I hate to say it, but they ruined any "metal dignity" that they had when they began spilling their guts out on talk shows (Jane Pauly)! :rolleyes: It was worse than watching the Real World or something. It's actually sad to see a band that was at one time highly regarded as one of the best resort to that level of exposure. :erk:

edgeofthorns said:
What exactly is a blast beat if you don't mind me asking? :confused:

As for the band, they're a joke these days! I hate to say it, but they ruined any "metal dignity" that they had when they began spilling their guts out on talk shows (Jane Pauly)! :rolleyes: It was worse than watching the Real World or something. It's actually sad to see a band that was at one time highly regarded as one of the best resort to that level of exposure. :erk:

i cant really describe it, but Metallica have never done it..i guess if you listen to a band like krisium or something you might figure out what a blast beat is.

TBJ said:
i cant really describe it, but Metallica have never done it..i guess if you listen to a band like krisium or something you might figure out what a blast beat is.

Basically an extremely fast paced alternating bass drum (or double bass drum) and snare drum technique primarily employed by many old school death metal bands (though bands of varying genres have employed the technique as well to smaller degrees - thrash comes to mind).

Actually TBJ, Metallica have used the technique (albeit extremely rarely, which is why I agreed with your correction) on select older tracks. Lars is no longer capable of doing it anyway, so it's basically a moot point with them.

Dark One said:
Basically an extremely fast paced alternating bass drum (or double bass drum) and snare drum technique primarily employed by many old school death metal bands (though bands of varying genres have employed the technique as well to smaller degrees - thrash comes to mind).

Actually TBJ, Metallica have used the technique (albeit extremely rarely, which is why I agreed with your correction) on select older tracks. Lars is no longer capable of doing it anyway, so it's basically a moot point with them.

hmm, i think you got your terms wrong...

blast beats are what most death metal bands do, just listen to I dont know, any song from Cannibal Corpse, or as a better example..Battle Against Time from wintersun, now those are blast beats..heck even Dragonforce has done it in a few songs

as far as what metallica used to do, well, that speedy beat mostly made famous by slayer is not a blast beat.

but that's just me being anal about it.:kickass:

urayoan said:
OK song. I guess Rick Rubin has a lot of work to do with this guys still. I definately think Rob Trujillo's (Suicidal Tendencies) addition on bass will give them a little more to play with heavy and fast riffs. I don't expect Master Of Puppets though (probably Lars Ulrich can't even play that whole masterpiece anymore).

It's interesting that you say that, and that you chose that particular example... clearly you are not aware of the setlist they played at the Rock Am Ring festival in Germany about a week ago (which was also broadcast live over the internet). This was the setlist:

01. Creeping Death
02. Fuel
03. Wherever I May Roam
04. For Whom The Bell Tolls
05. Fade To Black
06. Battery
07. Master Of Puppets
08. The Thing That Should Not Be
09. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
10. Disposable Heroes
11. Leper Messiah
12. Orion
13. Damage Inc.
14. Sad But True
15. Nothing Else Matters
16. One
17. Enter Sandman
18. Last Caress
19. Seek And Destroy

Notice something around, say, the middle section of the set? :)

Dark One said:
Lars is no longer capable of doing it anyway, so it's basically a moot point with them.

It's not that he's no longer capable of doing it... it's more like he never was. Notice how they've *never* played "Dyers Eve" live.

Riceloft said:
Yes they have.

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=439768&mpage=1

Date: Mar 5, 2004
Venue: The Forum

Setlist:
Blackened
Fuel
Seek And Destroy
Fade To Black
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Frantic
King Nothing
St. Anger
Sad But True
Creeping Death
Battery
--------
I Disappear
Nothing Else Matters
Master of Puppets
--------
One
Enter Sandman
--------
Am I Evil?
Dyers Eve

Intriguing... well, that was fairly recent. I remember that back when I used to regularly frequent Metallica boards (until 1998 - 1999), they had never played "Dyers Eve" up to that point. Interesting to find out that they later played it. I would be interested to hear how it sounded, and if Ulrich was really able to reproduce the same footwork that appears on the album. I would bet that he modified it when playing live.

Sumeet said:
Intriguing... well, that was fairly recent. I remember that back when I used to regularly frequent Metallica boards (until 1998 - 1999), they had never played "Dyers Eve" up to that point. Interesting to find out that they later played it. I would be interested to hear how it sounded, and if Ulrich was really able to reproduce the same footwork that appears on the album. I would bet that he modified it when playing live.
There was an mp3 of it back when they did it. And yes the drumming was modified. Lars was nowhere close to reproducing the original.

I'm getting a bad feeling about this but if Rick Rubin can make Neal Diamond cool again I guess anything is possible.

Yes, I said it.