New method: distortion without an amp / sim

valdiorn

Nov 8, 2008
Hi guys. I posted a couple of months back about a method to emulate a tubescreamer using some very basic EQ'ing and look-up-tables for distortion... nerdy stuff, but very effective, and fun for those who are interested. I'm posting this here because I know you are open to new technology and many like this sorta stuff :)

I'm basically doing a lot of tests and plan to build a small modelling pedal using a DSP-microcontroller. Today I did a new test, creating some real heavy distortion using only the graphical EQ in Ableton Live and a plugin called Cyanide, which is basically just a transfer function / waveshaper, to reshape a sound wave.

results were pretty good, I recorded one short chugga-chugga clip :)

Clip here ( double tracked, cabsim through boogex with engl V30 on right and Mesa oversize on the left )
New Clip (Without "the blanket on" :))

Basically, it's 3 gain stages with heavy EQing in between. Without the EQs it sounds totally rubbish (what you'd expect), but using them you can sculpt almost any sound you want. I know this is still a bit harsh, the bass is a bit flabby and there is a slight whining sound in the upper-mids, I'm working on that now.

this was just a test, I'm looking into how amplifiers really work and how to get the best results with EQing between stages.

Here' a picture of all the EQs and the Cyanide transfer-functions

Picture here

And the Ableton 8 file if anyone wants it
Ableton File

Hope you think this is cool :heh:

new clip definitely sounds better. with some more tweaking we might have another amp sim on our hands!