Choosing an amp sim...

Aaron Smith

Envisage Audio
Feb 10, 2006
Seattle, WA
I don't own any software amp sims at the moment, and I am entirely happy having to mic up cabs and whatnot to achieve heavy tones. I'm willing to do the same for clean tones, but I've also heard some really beautiful clean tone results that come from amp sims *cough cough Blub*, so I think it would be fun to at least experiment with it at see how I like it. It seems like everyone on here is pretty stoked about Revalver, but I've also noticed that the Line6 Gearbox Gold bundle is only like $99 at the moment, and I'm hoping that some of you out there can share your opinions and insight into what might be my best option for achieving tones that range from shimmering clean to kind to more of a slightly dirty overdriven clean...

If you are willing to go the free route, try TSS (tube screamer secret) + Wagner Sharp MK II + Voxengo Boogex or SIR.

Peavey Revalver MK III is great. I'm still playing the demo, which is also great, but I'm saving to buy the full version.

Judging from the clips, Overloud's TH1 could very well turn out to be the best out there, but it's not released yet and only a few people have tested it.

ELEVEN has a fucking awesome vox simulation on it, wait til pro tools 8 and with the upgrade for music production toolkit, you get it for sod all.

Gearbox Gold have lots of amp models for clean tones and plenty good fx to use with them, like chorus, delays, reverbs, etc. I think it´s pretty ease to make a good clean tone with it, much more than a hi gain one, even though your guitar and pickups plays a major role on this. If you want to give it a shot and don´t have a Line6 device (POD or Toneport) I suggest you to wait for the POD Farm release, because then you'll have the option to run the plugin on an iLok instead of use a Line6 device as a dongle.

IME and also from clips I've heard, I don't think Wagner can quite touch Revalver, but fuck is it close enough for my needs! TSS --> Wagner Mk II --> Boogex with my JSX/Stiletto impulses gives me the best tone for scratch tracks I'll ever need!