New mix day! (LeGion, Guitar Rig 4, SD2, crappy improvised solo)

C2Aye

has the groove.
Jul 11, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
So since I'm recording a new EP and I've given away my old SD2 preset, I've been working on some new tones and a new drum mix. The guitar tone is just an updated one, with 2 more impulses and some fiddling on the dials in LeGion. The biggest difference is in the SD2 mix. I've finally used the multi-out function, changed up the snare, kick and toms a bit and I'm really liking the results. I've went for a slightly more 'natural' kit sound this time around.

EDIT: New version http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39302626/January 3rd Mixtest.mp3

Oh, and I've not changed the strings on my 7 string for months so excuse any difficiencies in tone

Let me know what you think of the mix as I'm planning to use this for the new EP give or take tweaking here or there. Don't mind the composition or solo, it's all throwaway stuff!

EDIT 2: Latest verisons, without solo: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39302626/January 3rd Mixtest V2 No Solo.mp3 with solo http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39302626/January 3rd Mixtest V2.mp3

Okay, last attempt at a bump. Any feedback at all on the new versions? Comments on the use of the stereo expander or new drum mix? Any and all feedback is welcome :)

Doesn't sound bad imo. Really low tuning huh? Drop G or something. Hmm, the mix is decent. I will come back to that.

You should try re editing stuff, I can hear a lot of discrepancies from the L100 and R100 guitar tracks.

Mix wise, Guitars don't have enough sustain for my taste, maybe try putting a limiter on them. Lead guitar is a bit loud.

Sounding pretty solid though altogether.

Snare sounds SUPER boxy with a ton of reverb on it in the more open section (around 0:30)... I would dial back the reverb on it a little and tweak the eq... and possibly 50/50 mix with a tighter sounding snare to give it more pop in the 3-5khz area. All that boxiness is coming from around 400-700hz (is my best guess, which may be a shitty one).

Other than that, sounds pretty good. I like the guitar tone especially on the low end. Chain?

Doesn't sound bad imo. Really low tuning huh? Drop G or something. Hmm, the mix is decent. I will come back to that.

You should try re editing stuff, I can hear a lot of discrepancies from the L100 and R100 guitar tracks.

Mix wise, Guitars don't have enough sustain for my taste, maybe try putting a limiter on them. Lead guitar is a bit loud.

Sounding pretty solid though altogether.

Um...yeah, a limiter isn't going to do much for the sustain of the guitar...

Thanks for the feedback though,

Snare sounds SUPER boxy with a ton of reverb on it in the more open section (around 0:30)... I would dial back the reverb on it a little and tweak the eq... and possibly 50/50 mix with a tighter sounding snare to give it more pop in the 3-5khz area. All that boxiness is coming from around 400-700hz (is my best guess, which may be a shitty one).

Other than that, sounds pretty good. I like the guitar tone especially on the low end. Chain?

Cheers dude

I was going for the Red Seas Fire style snare that Nolly uses, it has a similar tone. Incidentally, the 400-700Hz region is quite heavily scooped and there's already a high shelf boost in the region of 4kHz and over.

The chain I used is: Guitar Rig 4 (Compressor, Tubescreamer, Noise Gate) => Lepou LeGion => Lepou Lecab 2 (Recabinet Impulses, 2 Mesa Boogie, 2 Marshall). Post processing is a boost at 180Hz and Stillwell Rocket Compressor.

Um...yeah, a limiter isn't going to do much for the sustain of the guitar...

Thanks for the feedback though,

It's cool if you don't like limiters on guitars, but I'm not sure why you think it wouldn't help with sustain.

Just sayin.

It's cool if you don't like limiters on guitars, but I'm not sure why you think it wouldn't help with sustain.

Just sayin.

Dude, all a limiter does is attenuate signals that go above a certain level, useful on master tracks if you don't want them to clip. They function this way as they are essentially compressors with a high ratio and short attack. They won't do anything for the sustain of a guitar.

Also, in what way would you have more sustain? The guitars are heavily noise-gated as they are and even then I had to play quite tight to get the stops in betweens chugs in the section after the solo.

Incidentally, the 400-700Hz region is quite heavily scooped and there's already a high shelf boost in the region of 4kHz and over.

I love being wrong :lol: Also probably should bring my nicer headphones to work (especially if I'm feeling saucy and make off-the-cuff frequency guesses)...

The chain I used is: Guitar Rig 4 (Compressor, Tubescreamer, Noise Gate) => Lepou LeGion => Lepou Lecab 2 (Recabinet Impulses, 2 Mesa Boogie, 2 Marshall). Post processing is a boost at 180Hz and Stillwell Rocket Compressor.
Just out of curiosity, why do an EQ boost on such a low frequency? Seem like that would just add to the mud...

Just out of curiosity, why do an EQ boost on such a low frequency? Seem like that would just add to the mud...

I think it's just because the tone seemed a bit thin without. Changing on the amp was a bit too drastic so I went for it in post processing which seemed to work. Also, the way the contour is set in Lepou LeGion means the emphasis is on the high mids, which could have been why is seemed a bit thin since there wasn't much in the way of low mids.