New monitors test - metal/low tuning

deely

Dec 9, 2009
Hey guys!

I'm working on a new mix, and I'm trying to improve guitar tone. Listening to the clip below I think there's too much mids, am I right?
And what can I do to improve the snare sound? I think it sounds a bit compressed, and should be a bit more high-pitched, I suppose, but when I start messing with that, it actually sounds worse...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68894/umc/yamt_deely.mp3

Any tips? Other critical points in my mix?
Critique appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious. How to create the revolving stereo or whatever you might call it effect you had at the beginning of the song?

Wow I'm really digging the sound altogether as it is. Can you give details on your guitar chain and what you used for drums and bass as well?

The guitar sounds pitch-shifted or something. Sounds strange for some reason. Doesn't have the nice growl I'm used to liking, but it's fitting for this type of music I guess.

Thanks man, for gutars I used TSE808 -> TSE X30 -> Engl V30 cab, bass is trilogy VST with LeXtac amp sim and some bass cab sim, s2.0 metal foundry.

Thanks man, for gutars I used TSE808 -> TSE X30 -> Engl V30 cab, bass is trilogy VST with LeXtac amp sim and some bass cab sim, s2.0 metal foundry.

What sort of eq or compression and mastering did you do on the guitars and drums?

Not much, guitar bus LPF (120Hz), HPF (10kHz), a slight hi shelf eq, Density MKII comp, drums - almost no processing outside superior - slight parallel compression with density MKII. On master bus some free saturator, and compressor + limiter.

guitars need more gain and yes sounds like the mids are pretty pushed. try blending amp sims maybe. curious to hear this track with a real 6505 or ENGL since it's pretty cool melodically.

It's a part of a track that's gonna be on my next demo-album, so I hope you will like it :) But for now I'm working on my mix, and it may take a moment...

I will try to upload remixed version when I get some better results.

Thanks for a feedback!