New norwegian prog sensation

Well (since you mentioned them) Woobler's style is kinda similar, but i assume you think that Woobler are progressive right? I consider Gargamel progressive, simply because they combine so many different musical elements and put them together in a non conventional way. Yes of course that's because of their influences did it first, but Gargamel have a personal style. They also have lots of Eloy influences that i like. The singer is not the greatest but he does some pretty awesome stuff with his voice (remember the part where he follows a guitar melody - magical).

Yes, yes, alright, but you misunderstand me: I just like Wobbler more personally, knowing them both. When I say it is more retro than visionary - that is not meant in a negative way. If I wanted to only listen to new and "innovative" music all the time, I'd surely have lost the joy of listening to music a long time ago...after all, I'm still a one for good old conservative headbanging.

Funny you mention Eloy - they are usually laughed at by a lot of people in Germany and seen as a copy of the symphonic rock greats...maybe it's the phenomenon of the prophet in his own country?:tickled:

Well i've heard many calling Eloy a copy of Pink Floyd, but never a "copy of symphonic rock greats". Can't explain both, since i consider Eloy one of the b-e-s-t progressive rock bands ever, they had their own innovations, and their own musical identity. On the long run, it matters not if you copy another band's style, if you have great ideas of your own.
So they aren't popular in Germany? Thats weird..

Not popular anymore...it is a similar phenomenon as with the Scorpions. No rock or metal fan takes them seriously anymore apart from upper crust people that temporarily swap their office clothes for leather pants, if you know what I mean. But in the US especially, they still seem to enjoy some respect.

As for Eloy, I don't know what the members are doing now, but the band has pretty much disappeared from the map. If people refer to old German prog bands here, they usually name Can, Kraan and stuff like that. But it also depends on what media you consult. A magazine like Eclipsed holds classic prog and symphonic rock in high esteem, so you find a lot of the more obscure stuff there. Eloy though, I have not seen there so far - and the zine has been around for more than a decade and actually started as a Floyd-fanzine.

Yeah, gargamel was the mean old wizard that would terrorize the smurfs. I worked at a golf course with gargamel one time, he was weird...