Prog rock

welps, I would recommend almost anything mentioned in this thread, but I think me and Tubb's are the only Kansas fans (first six or seven albums). :sad:

idk, i'll make a poll.
it seems people who SHOULD be Weatheads are unfortunatly obsessed with Dream Theatre and other bands that fail at living up to their greatness.

1. Dark Side of the Moon (cliche, I know, but it's one of the best and as such it's going on this list, so blow me)
2. Thick as a Brick - Tull (See above)
3. America - Complete Greatest Hits
4. Led Zeppelin I
5. Opeth - Damnation
6. CSNY - Deja Vu
7. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (see number 1 and 2 above)
8. Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason
9. Jethro Tull - The Broadsword and the Beast
10. Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever

Loosely in order...MLOR should have been a lot closer to the top, but I'm too lazy to change it.

1. Dark Side of the Moon (cliche, I know, but it's one of the best and as such it's going on this list, so blow me)
2. Thick as a Brick - Tull (See above)
3. America - Complete Greatest Hits
4. Led Zeppelin I
5. Opeth - Damnation
6. CSNY - Deja Vu
7. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (see number 1 and 2 above)
8. Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason
9. Jethro Tull - The Broadsword and the Beast
10. Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever

Loosely in order...MLOR should have been a lot closer to the top, but I'm too lazy to change it.
Ill take it easy on you newbie, but Petty? Prog? Might wanna edit it

Professor Fate - Inferno

is my current favorite progressive album. top notch stuff. anyone into ulver or arcturus give it a spin, garm does vox on a track too.

^just found that artist also and Im glad I did, good stuff, well at least the 2 songs on myspace. I hope the rest of it is just as good...

:chinrub:

1: king crimson - red
2: harmonium - the one about the seasons
3: genesis - selling england by the pound
4: anglagard - epilog
5: pink floyd - animals
6: pink floyd - wish u wer her
7: harmonium - the double album
8: elp - tarkus
9: anglagard - hybris
10: gentle giant - three friends

I suppose I'm a little confused as to what exactly qualifies as "progressive rock", then.

I have (or at least, I think I do) a basic idea, but it'd be cool if maybe someone could give me a decent explanation so I can circumvent myself from looking like a dumbass in the future.

SOMEWHAT 1. Dark Side of the Moon (cliche, I know, but it's one of the best and as such it's going on this list, so blow me)
YES 2. Thick as a Brick - Tull (See above)
NO 3. America - Complete Greatest Hits
NO 4. Led Zeppelin I
NO 5. Opeth - Damnation
NO 6. CSNY - Deja Vu
SOMEWHAT 7. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (see number 1 and 2 above)
SOMEWHAT 8. Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason
NO 9. Jethro Tull - The Broadsword and the Beast
NO 10. Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever

see edits^
the "somewhats" are more pysch than prog and sadly your only definative prog album was a parody of prog. A damn fine album tho. And you have good taste in music, so I wouldn't worry about it :)

some essential stuff:

Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso - Io Sono Nato Libero
Gentle Giant - Acquiring the Taste
Goblin - Roller
Jethro Tull - A Passion Play
Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn
Pekka Pohjola - Harakka Bialoipokku (B the Magpie)
Premiata Forneria Marconi - Per Un Amico
Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
Wigwam - Being
Änglagård - Epilog

I checked Professor Fate out via the two songs on MySpace. IMO the Garm-fronted song was closer to HeadControlSystem than Ulver or Arcturus. Can't say I liked the songs, which is too bad since I expected something at least interesting. And this is definitely not prog-rock.

Just got Gentle Giants self titled debut, good stuff I'm gonna have to get more of their cds.