New Opeth album cover

was hoping for another damnation

Pretty much. Damnation is the best album they've ever made and anyone that disagrees....

I won't even say this about my favorite bands, or even Nevermore, but anyone that doesn't think Damnation isn't their best album is seriously lacking in judgement. Sorry to sound conceited, but it's that clear to me. Opeth needs to never make another metal album again.

Damnation imo, definitely isn't the best Opeth album. It isn't because it's all soft, it's because it isn't as strong to me as the first 5 albums. The first 5 albums I can sail around the world, fight a million armies, triumphantly win at everything while with damnation I can do about half of that...and sit around bored, drinking cold coffee and sleep most of the hours of the day. To some that analogy might make it better...but I dunno, while I think Damnation is better than Ghost Reveries, Watershed it doesn't make me want to floor the gas like My Arms, Your Hearse does. That isn't because it's lacking in energy and isn't metal...it's because it's melodies, songs, choruses and passion does surpass the first 5 records.

I'm willing to overlook someone saying Blackwater Park or Still Life being better than Damnation, anything else is folly. The first two albums? You gotta be fucking kidding me.

damnation is my personal favorite but all their stuff is ace anyway so i don't really care what album it is :p
(- watershed that had a lot of filler besides coil and burden)

i just like the bleakness/beauty and groove of damnation.

I just hope this album isin't a bunch of sampled mellotron flutes and strings, that gets old quick, he overused it last album.

Morningrise>MAYH>Still Life>Orchid>Damnation>The rest don't need to be ranked. They're all great, but these are the ones I prefer.

I know I'm in the minority, but Ghost Reveries is actually my favorite Opeth album. I love the keyboards, the atmospheres, and it has some really strong songs with hugely memorable riffs and lyrics (especially Ghost of Perdition and Baying of the Hounds). BWP is a close second, then I think Damnation is my third favorite.

No growls...at all... This is a strange thought. I'm not discouraged in any way, but my expectations totally blank, now.

Theres no growls in this new one?

Ugh. Arrogant man should know his singing is decent at best. Mikael is getting way too pretentious with this progressive bullshit, just like Borknagar and Enslaved did. And thats coming from someone who loves prog.

Theres no growls in this new one?

Ugh. Arrogant man should know his singing is decent at best. Mikael is getting way too pretentious with this progressive bullshit, just like Borknagar and Enslaved did. And thats coming from someone who loves prog.

I may be wrong, but didn't you say that Damnation was by FAR their best album?

And I'm going to have to disagree with that statement about this vocals... I think his cleans are AMAZING, and have progressed insanely well over the years... But this is just my opinion, and I do not treat my opinion as fact... I agree to disagree...

And yeah, to the above poster, Ghost Reveries is tied with my favorite album in a three-way tie between Still Life, Blackwater Park, and Ghost Reveries...

But yeah, I LOVE all of Opeth's stuff, haha.. They're my favorite band... Well, them or Agalloch... It's a hard call...

Damnation is my favorite because his vocals suited the music perfectly. His voice is beautiful, but as a singer he's nothing. I'm not saying he should demonstrate amazing range and vibrato like Warrel, but he simply doesn't have the right voice to carry an entire metal album with cleans alone.

Though I doubt this will be metal at all. I hate Watershed with a passion, and I fear this will follow suit. Aimless songs that go no where because the man is starting to think he's some kind of prophet of art.

Bugger that drummer and new guitarist, too. I miss Martin Lopez and his jazz styled drumming. When the old members left, Opeth stopped being Opeth and became Mikaels hard-on prog fanboy experiment.

Did you even hear the song he made for the God of War game? Awful. Ghost Reveries was decent but that was only because the keyboard added a dreary atmosphere.

still life>morningrise>my arms>blackwater park>damnation>everything else

I have a feeling this will be what Crack the Skye was for Mastodon. More melodic, more about atmosphere, cool gear, good songs, prog rock influence, and just less generally about bringing the metal.

Should be good, their last two albums didn't do much for me, it was just more of the same without the cool, subtle, natural sounding production of their older stuff.