New Opeth from a long time fan.

Originally posted by Static
Just something I want to point out.

I don't understand the common way people have of looking at Opeth albums, that is, to compare them to each other in order to see which one is best. I am NOT accusing anyone of doing this, sure...you may not like Deliverance based on its own merits and all, its just it happens a lot round here and I think it is wrong.

Each one should be judged as a seperate entity, a new experience, and although it is difficult, judged solely based on what the music is like. For example...when I first heard Opeth it was BWP...the album which probably gets the most criticism round here (possibly excluding Deliverance), and when I heard it for the first time I was like WOW!! :eek: It was an amazing experience... Without having any knowledge of any other Opeth albums it was judged on its own merits and I thought it was spectacular.

However I was even more impressed by the other albums, and came to a conclusion they were better albums. However...was BWP any less an awesome album than when I first listened to it? No...its just hearing the others made me think it wasn't as good as I first expected. Hearing the others changed my opinion of BWP into making me think it was a lesser work. After time I slowly re-learned why I had loved BWP in the first place without letting the other albums get in my way...and soon BWP was possibly my favourite album.

It happens to everyone I think, but when you learn to judge each album solely on its own attributes, thats when you'll learn the beauty of both BWP and Deliverance. Unless of course...you just plain don't like it in an un-biased way...which is cool. ;)

nicely put. I agree with all of this.

all i can say is that I do not know why some fans dislike deliverance
the only thing i agree with is that the guitars have less of a layered sound to them
but i just keep sort of asking myself when i read these threads "if you like the other albums by opeth, why not deliverance?"
people's opinions are fine, i just personally don't understand them at all
personally, i feel like deliverance has the vibe of MAYH and Still Life, I don't see how any Opeth fan wouldn't love Wreath, A Fair Judgement, the title track, and Master's Apprentices, especially the melodic part, but of course everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Originally posted by shivering corpse
all i can say is that I do not know why some fans dislike deliverance
the only thing i agree with is that the guitars have less of a layered sound to them
but i just keep sort of asking myself when i read these threads "if you like the other albums by opeth, why not deliverance?"
people's opinions are fine, i just personally don't understand them at all
personally, i feel like deliverance has the vibe of MAYH and Still Life, I don't see how any Opeth fan wouldn't love Wreath, A Fair Judgement, the title track, and Master's Apprentices, especially the melodic part, but of course everyone's entitled to their opinion.

from the sounds of things...many people are expecting somethign completely new. This is what I mean about high expectations...they can be hard to meet.

Originally posted by Masters Apprentice
I believe the correct term is either anii or anuses..whatever floats your boat. :)

Well, I was referring to anals as in the context of records. I think the correct spelling is annals.

I did preorder Deliverance and yes it is missing the magic of Morning Rise, MAYH,Still Life..It's missing a flow, emotion (melacholy)..Opeth used to be a private, unassuming yet magical affair between band and listener..When I heard Black Rose Immortal by Opeth I was like WOW, let me listen to that 20 minute song agian, it takes me places.. Other than being heavy, Deliverance is missing depth, intimacy, personality..It's missing the context of contrasts and it isn't beautiful or melancholy..No atmosphere that invokes emotion? What was I expecting though?..BWP seemed to be too cleanly produced and while I liked some songs, the title track (ARRGG BWP bulids and crushes), the harmonic Bleak(great harmonies and segues), and even "Harvest" on a rainy depressing day..Still Life, was my soundtrack and MAYH was pure bliss, and of course Morning Rise was classic.. Deliverance is my least favorite Opeth CD, but it is cool to hear Opeth play some thrash riffs..I'll mosh to the new stuff when Opeth tour America, lol..Hails..-l-