A question for long-time Opeth listeners

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
I find it very interesting reading the varying comments/praise/criticism of Opeth's music. BWP was my 1st album, as I only recently found out about them. Now that I have all albums, I am beginning to listen to everything.

My question is - in your opinion, how do you view Opeth's musical progression through their 5 albums. Is there a trend; is their artistry softening; are they getting better. It will take me time to formulate my opinion, so I am now just curious on how the long-time Opeth fan feels.

Well, I bought MAYH, Morningrise, Orchid, Still Life (or the other way for those two), then BWP.

You can hear a progression in most aspects of the music, in my opinion. Since they're not all fresh in my mind except Still Life right now, I won't go into huge detail, as I'm sure someone else will.

Orchid: Fairly raw sound. Knowing how old it is, you can tell what an impact it could have made/did make. It's a VERY bold album, and takes music in a totally new direction. The transitions between heavy and soft passages seem to not be so smooth. Perhaps they wanted to break the piece into movements. The bass sound is, as previously discussed, of a higher "tone," and meshes with the guitars as another solo instrument. The piano tracks add a lot of atmosphere to the album, but also at times seem somewhat tacked on (but they are good). They don't fit the flow of the album as, say, "No Dreams Breed in Breathless Sleep" by Dissection. Vocally, the growl has a different, somewhat "throatier" sound than some of the deeper growls we may be used to. The "twin guitar" sound is used heavily, and mixed in such a way that you can listen to each guitar almost individually in an ear.

Morningrise, they'd gotten an audience. Transitions are smoother, guitar sound is a little fuller, but that always comes with money and contracts. The throaty growl is moving downward, also becoming fuller. That growl certainly fits the mood of the album, it conveys more emotion, almost on par with Mikael's clean singing. The twin guitars are still there, as is the bass sound. The drumming is quite good, and stands out particularly. They move into "epic mode" with the 20-minute Black Rose Immortal.

MAYH - Here's where it changes. The twin guitars are almost abandoned - there is more of a "rhythm-lead" style with this. Mikael had a cold during recording, so the vocals are quite heavy. The transitions between acoustic and distorted are quite smooth, as are the vocal transitions. (What's crazy is that he can do this live as well..) The songs are shorter (if 9 minutes is short..), and the bass style has become more a part of the rhythm section, less tone, more "oomph." The drumming has changed, but in this album, the drums aren't as high in the mix (if I recall) and don't stand out as they did previously. Some people complain about the production, that the guitars bleed together and it's too mushy a sound. Maybe so, but it's still less mushy than most "all chord" music. Credence is an all-acoustic song, capable of winning the hearts of metal haters. Aww yeah.

Still Life - Here's where their skill at transitions takes over. The seamless blends from acoustic to distorted elevate the musical sophistication to a new level. The use of a pause in a song is not so much a "hit the distortion pedal off" as a "here's a breather before we kick your ass with a solo" (White Cluster) The use of clean vocals over distorted keeps a song heavier, while still allowing the emotion to come out. Vocally, this album is quite heavy. The growl has a menacing rasp to it, and it sound quite harsh. But good harsh, not bad harsh. Again, twin guitars aren't too prominent, and the bass sound remains rhythm. The riffing is quite sophisticated, some good examples are the opening to Moonlapse Vertigo, and the ending of The Face of Melinda. Benighted is another all-acoustic song, and The Face of Melinda is more like To Bid You Farewell - clean singing over distorted guitar.

Blackwater Park - This album has production very similar to Still Life. The guitar sound is basically the same. Vocally, the growls are deep, but not as raspy or menacing as on Still Life. There's some harmonies in the vocals, and more overdubbing of the voices, which would be hard to pull off live. I found that stylistically, they didn't change much from Still Life on this one, which is, perhaps, why I still turn to Still Life over Blackwater Park. The acoustic endeavours on BWP aren't as memorable, but are still feats in and of themselves. The Drapery Falls kicks ass. The bass sound, while the same, has adapted somewhat to fill the void - it maintains a low profile, but adds a lot more depth.

Those are basically my thoughts, right now. It's likely I'm wrong on some counts, as I'm now listening to The Doors, not Opeth, for some reason. Feel free to flame me. All the albums kick ass, and they're each a totally seperate unit, to be taken as such. Here's a project, listen to the finale tracks of each album, and see how they compare. You gotta leave an album feeling good about it. Do they pull it off in all cases? Maybe this is for another thread..

later

I think Opeth progresses more in a structured song direction, it's probably that thing they call "experience".
Up until Still Life there aren't any choruses, and i feel that the song structure in MAYH is more concise than in Morningrise, which is, in turn, more concise than Orchid. BWP seems to have songs even more structured than Still Life, The Drapery Falls and Bleak are good examples, while the first two have this "wandering" feel, MAYH being the transition, while it's more concise, it still doesn't have quite the choruses or anything.

Originally posted by Duvall
The transitions between acoustic and distorted are quite smooth, as are the vocal transitions. (What's crazy is that he can do this live as well..)
It's possible because Mikael's style of growling strains different part of throat than clean singing. Another type of growlings or shoutings or whatever tend to eat your voice out, but his style (maybe among some others, I'm not that far yet :) ) doesn't. Not 100% sure, but that's how I been feeling after lots of experimenting.

I found Orchid when it was new and have gotten all the albums in the chronological order.

The step from Orchid to Morningrise was huge, at least when it comes to the production and the composition. The artistry is heavenly on both. Some clear experimenting...

From Morningrise to MAYH I felt that the change was clear, but it wasn't as big a step forward. It seemed to me that Opeth wanted to delve deeper into what they had discovered in Morningrise. They experimented further and tried to do everything more extremely.

Still Life feels more like a development of Morningrise with the adaption of MAYH on the side. Further elemnts tried and adapted... A clear step forward.

Blackwater Park is everything Opeth through the years packed into one delicious masterpiece. I am sure I will feel the same way about the next album too.

Originally posted by metalmancpa
...in your opinion, how do you view Opeth's musical progression through their 5 albums?
I think you can tell from just listening to the albums at one time.

I think that Orchid stands alone because it's the beginning...and it's been called raw more than once, so I can't really give it another name right now, but that's what I'm shooting for. Mike didn't sing with his full potential, and boy...did he have potential.

Morningrise they totally did what ever the fuck they wanted and they were whorshipped for it. MAYH has the new lineup which I like moreso, but I'll always love/hate those sassy bass lines that DeFella brought. That's my favorite album. Still Life is when that potential of Mike's came out IMO. I still need time to absorb Blackwater Park.

LYNN

I started listen to Opeth when Orchid was released back in 1995. What an impact it made on me! At that moment I was very into black metal and bought almost everything that was black/death metal and from Scandinavia, like Dissection, At The Gates, Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, Satyricon, Dark Funeral, Marduk, Amorphis, Immortal etc. I had never heard anything like Orchid before and I really started to worship Opeth - and have done it ever since.

Morningrise made an even greater impact on me, and I still consider it Opeth´s best work, together with Still Life.

When MYAH was released, I wasn´t thrilled. It didn´t sound like I wanted it to do, and I didn´t even bought it. It was first this year I bought it, and I have no regrets. I think MAYH easily is Opeth´s "worst" (yeah, wrong word to use when speaking abouth Opeth). album. I love all the other Opeth albums, but not this one.

So Still Life didn´t catch my attention either, but since I had no other record to buy at that moment I gave it a try. And with that release Opeth were my favorite band again. Damn, I love that record! From the moody beginning of The Moor till the last tone of White Cluster, everything is perfect.

With Blackwater Park I feel the same way I did/do with MAYH - a bit of dissapointment. Tracks like The Leper Affinity, Bleak and The Drapery Falls are amazing, while others like Dirge For November and The Funeral Portrait are rather boring.

MYAH is my least favorite CD too.

I thing part of the reason for their change in style is that between 1990 and 1996, Mikael and Peter both ripped apart and re-arranged everything they had written over all those years and eventually created the 12 songs that would be Orchid and Morningrise. I mean, this was years of work and experementation, which is probably why they sound they way they do. (and I like those two CDs very much.)

MAYH had several changes. Two band members were replaced by the two Martins. Dan Swano didn't produce the album. They used up all of the 1990-1996 music and wrote new stuff from scratch.

MAYH has some very good tracks, but overall, the album seems to lack something the other albums had. For one thing, the music does take more of a rythm guitar/lead guitar style like someone else said. It's more lyrical as well. Much heavier. The bass seems to be used to add 'power' to the music instead of adding atmosphere. The songs are shorter and don't seem to be as 'wandering'. I mean, it's like they do what they set out to do and that was it. No expansive atmospheric sections to fill it up. Everything is more concise. They also have the first hint of a chorus with Demon of the Fall being repeated several times in a row.

Still Life is awesome. Just awesome. It seems like they were experementing more and doing more musical things again. Even though many of the songs do have a more obvious structure and some even have a chorus, there is a lot of diversity in this CD, and also the average song legnth seems to be longer than MAYH. The CD is over an hour long as well, while MAYH was their only one under an hour.

Blackwater Park didn't grab me right away. Still Life did, but BWP made me wonder if it was good or not. Eventually, after many listens, it's really grabbed my attention, and I like that CD a lot. I was also glad to see them include an instrumental again. In terms of style, this album seems heavier than Still Life, and everything seems like it's packed closer together. After a while, some pieces of music I never paid attention to started jumping out at me. It just took a while.

Overall, I like all of their CDs, and look forward to what they do next. Their evolution seems to be going in a decent direction. The first two CDs were great. MAYH was like a step backwards, but also showed a change in musical style. The two newest albums seem to build from the MAYH style, but evolve that by having some more similarities with the first two albums while also becoming more structured.