Calling out to long time listeners of Opeth

jaykeegan

Jan 27, 2004
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Calling out to long time listeners of Opeth who wen't to any Opeth gigs way back when Orchid or Morning Rise had just been released.

I'm just curious to know how the shows were back then? did they play well? what were the setlists like? was Mikael as good & comfortable with the crowd as he is nowdays? etc..

Well, i have been a long time listener of Opeth, however i hadnt seen them play live until their first USA tour. I was supposed to see them at the metalfest before that, but unfortunately work issues kept me from going. In any case, i did see a video of the metalfest gig, and they seemed to do quite well, however it is my understanding that they were forced to use other bands' equipment and/or guitars, and had no time to set up their sound in the sound check, etc....so the experience for them was less than ideal theyve said. But overall, i thought their choice of songs and their performance was pretty darn good considering.

Opeth had gigs before Blackwater Park. Just read the biography from www.opeth.com

Besides, i've seen pictures of Opeth playing live with Mikael & Peter wearing puffy white shirts with a black vest over the top. Now i know those photo's were taken around the time of Orchid & Morning Rise being released.

i have 1996 french 1995 england and 1995 england video bootlegs..
both are great

video one should be Advent, Forest Of October, In the Mist She Was Standing

other england: in the mist she was standing, advent, apostle in triumph

french: advent, forest of october, in the mist she was standing, nectar

mikael sounds AWESOME.

I have...

06/17/96 - The Witchwood, Ashton-Under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
12/05/96 - Rainbow Club, Milan, Italy

The first one sucks. It's a good show, but the quality is terrible. I found a 2nd generation copy of it on a site, but the guy wasn't trading anymore... :/

12/05/96 is awesome, though. Mikael is so excited... He even growls when he talks near the end. I think they were really enjoying themselves.

I have a pretty cool concert on VHS from, I think it´s from -93, at Huset in a Industry area down below Sörskogen in Hudding, Stockholm. They have obviuosly improved over the years, but they were pretty tight. They played a cool pre-release version of `Twilight is my Robe´, also Forest of October and Apostle in Triumph. I also remember a concert at the same place and they played a Black Sabbath cover, `Hand of Doom´. Mike didn´t play the guitar on that track, he just went nuts on stage.

The Akalla video is from 1991, correct? I've got the same thing. Its got 3 tracks, one of them is a Possessed cover.

There's also a rehersal from 1993, where they play an early version of Black Rose Immortal. Its only 15 mins. Pretty poor quality, but its definitly Black Rose.

These people with the early videos, would anyone be willing to digitize and trade?