Any fans of Opeth from the Orchid Era, here....???

The Poona of Peshwa said:
Half the members of this board were probably like 6-10 years old when Orchid was released.

Yeah, wow. You'd have to be a badass six year old...

waz416c said:
So Im tlakin bout like the real ol' skool duders......who got into opeth way back....when orchid or even morning rise were comin out...!!!....anyone use these forums...???........I got into tehm say round 2002 or so...when deliverance adn damnation and Lamentaions were comin out...!!!.......so yeha....any ol' skoolers still round...???.......PEAC EOUT
Yes, I started listening to Opeth when they released Orchid in Sweden (1995). I have a few friends that also did, but none of them read this forum (as far as I know).

Stilgar said:
Yes, I started listening to Opeth when they released Orchid in Sweden (1995). I have a few friends that also did, but none of them read this forum (as far as I know).

Same here. Orchid was very diffrent from other bands thoose days. Me and my friends were into Lord Belial, Merciless, Naglfar....and such bands...all released albums at the time. But Opeth was very diffrent when they came.

I got into Opeth in 1997. I ordered the US versions of Orchid and Morningrise based on going into an internet chat room, saying "I like Cynic... are there any other bands like Cynic?" or some such, and some random person says "Opeth", and that was pretty much my investigative process.

I remember after Terrorizer had the advertisements stating that "Everything Dies" would be out in March 1998 (or had the title already changed to My Arms Your Hearse by the time a release date was set, I forget...), so starting in March I was calling up every mail-order company I had a phone number for and starting to bug them about that album. "Do you have it can I order it I need it now now now now now!"

As I recall, the album wasn't actually carried by any of the mail-order companies until August or so, so I wasn't so popular with those people for a few months. Or maybe I was, I bought a lot of stuff around that time just to be all experimental and stuff.

How many of you guys call up a mail-order these days and say "I can afford three CDs, what do you recommend?"

I guess I bought MAYH in fall of 1999. That was my first Opeth record. Heavier than essentially everything else I had heard before that time. I didn't fall in love with it at first (Now it's my favorite). I got Morningrise soon after and I was blown away. I certainly was not expecting anything like that from a metal band. To this day Morningrise is a special record for me. I listened to Orchid after Morningrise. In the Mist She was Standing is one of the best Opeth tracks, but as a whole Morningrise stands above Orchid in terms of both composition and delivery.

i only found out about the 'peth in 2004. a cousin of mine told me she saw them live in brisbane aus and i downloaded harvest and death whispered a lullaby and fell in love:) i bought D1 and D2 within a month and my cousin sent me some samples from the earlier stuff.

biggsy said:
i only found out about the 'peth in 2004. a cousin of mine told me she saw them live in brisbane aus and i downloaded harvest and death whispered a lullaby and fell in love:) i bought D1 and D2 within a month and my cousin sent me some samples from the earlier stuff.

while I dig those 2 sopngs.....i always lump them in teh "Weaker" songs of opeth category...!!!!!....but yeah they're still pretty good...!!!.....PEAC EOUT

Well... I actually start to listen Opeth in 1997 with Morningrise... for me, in that time, Opeth was only a Rare underground band... Then with the release of My Arms, Your Hearse I put more atention on them :) and finally with Still Life I realize that they had something special...

Jim LotFP said:
How many of you guys call up a mail-order these days and say "I can afford three CDs, what do you recommend?"

*raises hand* I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty sure I could do it with a local company we have here, that actually has a lot of cd's.

I got into Opeth in 1999. I heard Morning Rise and was utterly blown with only one song then, Advent. I listened to it over and over and it never made me bored. I hadn't explored the rest of the album and in 2000, I started listening to MAYH. From then on, its been Opeth all the way....:headbang:

How can someone do that? Be so blown away by one song, and not have the slightest curiousity as to how the rest of the album sounds?

Frosties said:
How can someone do that? Be so blown away by one song, and not have the slightest curiousity as to how the rest of the album sounds?

Well, thats how I am. I take a very long time to explore. Thats the exact way I explored Iron Maiden. The very first album I listened was Killers. It took me more than a month to get out of it. Especially Genghis Khan. Of course, I was listening to bits and pieces of Piece of Mind and Number of the Beast. But, it was Killers all the way.

Coming back to Opeth, to get out of Still Life, took me around a month.

i got into them right before still life came out. everyone was raving about opeth at that time, and i'd liked what i'd heard (clips from orchid / morningrise) so i bought both of those cds. at this time, still life was out in europe, but not in the states...i finally bit the bullet and paid like almost $30 (i was in high school at the time!) to get an import copy from amazon. glad i did. still life is still my favorite cd, by far. in fact, i'm gonna go listen to it right now.