Are you worried about Opeth???

I hope they don't but lets face it, if Opeth get more accessible and popular with shorter songs, more commercial songs they'll still do it damn well :) I wouldn't care hugely if Opeth did that, as long as the music was still as good. I must say I like nearly all of the songs on BWP, so I'm not hugely worried :) And bands have to evolve, I'd be dissapointed if Opeth didn't change over time

I really like the 2nd song on BWP, but the rest doesn't blow me away- I actually managed to put the cd on the rack after a couple weeks, which is unheard of with Opeth. I too don't like (well, that's overstating it alot) the more chord-based approach, I prefer the melodic guitar stuff. Yeah, I know the days of Morningrise are gone :cry: , I can deal with that, but I do prefer that style.

I think the touring of late and promo attention from the label would be a huge factor contributing to their sudden leap of popularity. There is a greater awareness and presence in music press, live performance etc.
I am not worried about Opeth? Every any direction Mikael travels is his business, it will be brilliant!
'Blackwater Park' is bold, black and beautiful :devil:

Hey, EVIL, how are ya?

We've had this conversation before... I agree with some of the posters here that BWP is pretty much Opeth's fifth best album, and something about it just isn't quite as majestic as the others. I pinned this on it's inconsistency of brilliance, i.e. whereas the other 4 records are all pretty much wicked from start to finish, BWP actually has some low moments and (yes, once again), I'm going to point my finger at the repetitive, doomy heavier midsection of Dirge For November, which feels quite static and uninspired by Opeth standards. Other parts of the record (the first 4 tracks) are right up there, I agree completely with your analysis of Leper Affinity, that's a great, twisted track... but the album lags a little towards it's middle (I'm not really fond of the simple-riffed Funeral Portrait, either).

Someone once said that for Opeth's longest record, Blackwater Park contains the least music, and I concur with this statement.

Originally posted by HoserHellspawn
Hey, EVIL, how are ya?

We've had this conversation before... I agree with some of the posters here that BWP is pretty much Opeth's fifth best album, and something about it just isn't quite as majestic as the others. I pinned this on it's inconsistency of brilliance, i.e. whereas the other 4 records are all pretty much wicked from start to finish, BWP actually has some low moments and (yes, once again), I'm going to point my finger at the repetitive, doomy heavier midsection of Dirge For November, which feels quite static and uninspired by Opeth standards. Other parts of the record (the first 4 tracks) are right up there, I agree completely with your analysis of Leper Affinity, that's a great, twisted track... but the album lags a little towards it's middle (I'm not really fond of the simple-riffed Funeral Portrait, either).

Someone once said that for Opeth's longest record, Blackwater Park contains the least music, and I concur with this statement.

.....someone also said that quantity does not neccesarily make quality.

Personally, I always find one or two tracks on each album that are "skip-worthy" and dirge and portrait happen to be the ones on this album. But the album is "redeemed" (not that bp needs any redeeming) at the end by patterns of the ivy (which is just gorgeous to me) and Blackwater park (my fav track on the album)

That's 6 out of 8 songs.

But then again, I like those two tracks too, and if they are "skip worthy" to me they are less so than the ones i find in the other albums.

It boils down to sentiment and all the various mutable and immutable ways we perceive and contextualize accoustic symbols....Exactly why, when I say "orchid" or "still life" is the worst, I preface such statements with the adverbial phrase "personally."

I disliked BWP at first. But after realizing how every album is totally different from the previous one, I gave it a few more trie. I think that it is one of their best. My favorite song being the title track. Theres this long slow section that almost bored me (I was getting ticked off cause it seems to be going nowhere) the, POW this hevy as fuck riff comes in and made me jump. So cool. My fave album is still morningrise, but I think BWP is above MAYH (my least fave Opeth album) and orchid.

Ok, I think those that are concerned with opeth's direction need to relax, yank off, and look on the bright side.

Sure, bwp is certainly no mayh, but then, what is? I admit this album ultimately disappointed me, but perhaps I was taking them from granted and needed a little disappointment to bring me back to reality (sound familiar?). I still think it's pretty cool though, I just can't be comparing to mayh like I did initially, it clouds the perception of the album too much, bwp must be enjoyed/viewed in its own context. Btw, it's a great "in the car album", easier to passively enjoy because of the (relative) simplicity of many of the tunes.

I think with bwp, the way it was kinda thrown together last minute in the studio such as it was, is pretty cool, considering.

I also think bwp is one of the weaker albums, but holy shit, have you actually gotten into Leper? And the funeral portrait, that's some really wicked/whacked shit. I have an affectation for the progressive, you see.

These 2 tunes are IMO as good or better than anything on SL. And that whole split vocal thing with wilson was just fucking beyond brilliant (and the lyrics to this, oh man, that's dark).

The vocals on bwp are simply beyond incredible. That scream in Leper, the one he holds for a long time, holy mother fuck, to me that's the coolest scream he's done since the madness at the end of black rose immortal. The texture is smoother and more polished on bwp and his clean vocals are also quite beyond cool.

It think that on bwp they've grown as musicians and mikael is as much of a bloody freak/lunatic as ever, it's just more laid back about it. I also feel, from reading the interviews, that mikael may have felt that he was falling into some sort of rut, that it wasn't as fresh as it was, and he tried to remedy that by doing a simpler and more adlib album that is more surreal and textured. I think he was successful in his efforts, bwp is certainly different, and so very dark, which I think is quite cool.

The production of bwp is by far the best of any opeth release. If you don't agree with this, then you are an idiot. hehe. :)

So anyway, I'm looking on the bright side here, as if that isn't apparent. Instead of whining about how it's not as cool as mayh, I look at it for what it is, and it's still a great album.

My predictions for the future: Opeth will go in many new directions all at once, drawing on more varied influences. I think we are yet to hear the most mellow/simple and the most harsh/complex stuff from them (think about it, he actually wrote leper without putting too much effort into it. what the fuck? wow). I think the next album will be fan-fucking-tastic and that they'll put much more effort into writing it. I think that with bwp, mikael has learned to look at his writing through new eyes, and now the possibilities are endless. I think they will work with wilson again (shit, can this guy engineer an album or what?!!).

I think the best of opeth is still ahead, so hang on, it's going to be a wild ride that will change the face of prog metal forever. The music is timeless. Mikael is a fucking GOD. Amen.

bastardly,

Satori

this is a problem every band that has 4-5 albums will face, and can't win. if they dont change they will be called boring as they use the same style as 10 years ago, and unoriginal, and if they do change then people are always unhappy (thats why with most bands most people say they prefer an earlier album). this happens, and people do get upset, i got really upset when Radiohead let us down by relesing 2 albums after ok computer, both of which are not radiohead in my opinion.:cry: , i suppose we just have to hope for the best and keep our fingers crossed.

Originally posted by _Transparent_
this is a problem every band that has 4-5 albums will face, and can't win. if they dont change they will be called boring as they use the same style as 10 years ago, and unoriginal, and if they do change then people are always unhappy (thats why with most bands most people say they prefer an earlier album). this happens, and people do get upset, i got really upset when Radiohead let us down by relesing 2 albums after ok computer, both of which are not radiohead in my opinion.:cry: , i suppose we just have to hope for the best and keep our fingers crossed.

_Transparent_ you hit the nail on the head.

From what I've read about Mikael and shit he's said in interviews, he has more musical integrity than anyone in the history of the universe, hehe. He really loves music.

With this in mind, I can confidently say that I don't think opeth will ever sell out, and isn't that the only real fear?

For those of you hanging on to the orchid/morning rise days, I think you'll always be disappointed with whatever they do from this point on. They are evolving, and they don't appear to be looking back.

I can't wait for the next album to come out, it's going to be incredible, I can feel it in my bones.

Satori

They certainly have evolved. It's pretty cool actually. I think I may have been feeling a lot of the same things (worries) that most of you have been feeling when I first heard BWP. I DO NOT and never have thought they'd sell out though, because as Lina mentioned before, Opeth has always been about themselves and not the fans. "Fuck the fans!" (with a chuckle of course!) is the attitude. I can't help but to admire them for that so much. I've never feared sell out. I think I was afraid they'd stray from what I've come to love so far and YES they are evolving in their music. Changing. But, it's cool with me now. They're so dynamic and commendable for what they've done with music so far; I can only imagine good things coming from them. I'm going to cherish their music, I believe, until the day they call it quits. But even then! I'll have it still.

(deep breaths and relaxing to the closing of The Leper Affinity)

:)

Originally posted by _Transparent_
i got really upset when Radiohead let us down by relesing 2 albums after ok computer, both of which are not radiohead in my opinion.:cry: , i suppose we just have to hope for the best and keep our fingers crossed.

Aaaaaaw come on, they grew up. Ok, the earlier albums were damn good, but ultimately Kid A and Amnesia I think are better - they're far more mature, musically and lyrically, They actually had the guts to move in another direction. Despite the fact they were copying many post-rock bands, I still respect what they did :) I'm hoping they'll evolve further, and I'm looking forward to the next release! I think the problem is that many fans of their earlier work didn't quite get what they wanted to do, if they kept on writing and releasing Creep's not only would they be unoriginal, but boring as well. Neway, thats wha I think, feel free to argue :)

I just find it interesting that many of you who are defending BWP are mentioning The Leper Affinity and The Funeral Portrait, since those are the two best tunes on the CD. Sure, I won't dispute that they kick ass, they are not so predictable in their nature. It's the 4 tunes I listed that are the culprits that make this album less enjoyable for me, and that is my concern. If they upped it to four on BWP, will they go even higher??

Whatever the case, the music is still good, but lacks the twists and turns the other albums provided. That is what I like about Opeth so much, and hope that doesn't disappear from the music!

Originally posted by godisanathiest

Aaaaaaw come on, they grew up. Ok, the earlier albums were damn good, but ultimately Kid A and Amnesia I think are better - they're far more mature, musically and lyrically, They actually had the guts to move in another direction. Despite the fact they were copying many post-rock bands, I still respect what they did :) I'm hoping they'll evolve further, and I'm looking forward to the next release! I think the problem is that many fans of their earlier work didn't quite get what they wanted to do, if they kept on writing and releasing Creep's not only would they be unoriginal, but boring as well. Neway, thats wha I think, feel free to argue :)

yeah, i was actually one of the few people that liked kid A a lot. but those albums aren't Radiohead, although i sometimes think they are radiohead because change is what they are about, but still i want another ok computer or bends type album next (if there is a next album:cry: )

I'm worried that the next album might have TOO good production, and they'll get all technical on us.

Like when CoF started to get big, the production was over-done and it ended up like crap. I'm confident that the boys know what's good for them and the fans, and will hold strong to their convictions.

If they gather enough money, they might even do the whole "one clean album, one metal album" thing that's mentioned in interviews. Lee_B, didn't you have something to do with suggesting that?

Either way, I'm buying it the day it comes out.

Originally posted by Till Fjalls
I just find it interesting that many of you who are defending BWP are mentioning The Leper Affinity and The Funeral Portrait, since those are the two best tunes on the CD. Sure, I won't dispute that they kick ass, they are not so predictable in their nature. It's the 4 tunes I listed that are the culprits that make this album less enjoyable for me, and that is my concern. If they upped it to four on BWP, will they go even higher??

Whatever the case, the music is still good, but lacks the twists and turns the other albums provided. That is what I like about Opeth so much, and hope that doesn't disappear from the music!

Agreed. I feel exactly the same way. To me, with leper and funeral being so horribly fucking cool, I have complete faith in their integrity and progressiveness.

Btw, that's a pic of newfieland in your signiture eh? It's really cool. I like anything that reminds of those nights I spent drinking cheap port and smoking hash on the beach. I like anything that reminds me of home.

Satori