What percent of music listeners Know of opeth?

Reign in Acai

Of Elephant and Man
Jun 25, 2003
Favela of My Dismay
How many people do you know that have heard of opeth? Not just people who like opeth. Or have heard a song or two. But actually even know theres a band named opeth.

I was buying tickets for opeth. And i told the clerk. "Yea two tickets to opeth" And he's all "Is that a band or something?"

Another occasion I told a person that I listen to opeth. They respond. Oh you mean "Otep"

And then other times people dont know who opeth is.

So my question which is all just curiosity based is. How many people out of a 100 listen to opeth? Is it 1 or 2. Or maybe less than 1% of music listeners. Most of us here that are into metal and dont watch mtv or listen to the radio start getting a feeling that the bands we listen to are known to some degree. Because all we are doing is conversing about these bands. How small is the metal community in the broad spectrum of things? :confused:

that number i posted was an ESTIMATE!! HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHEHEHEHEHEHEEEEEEEEEEEHEHEHEHHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHHHHHHHHHHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH!

ggggggu said:
that number i posted was an ESTIMATE!! HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHEHEHEHEHEHEEEEEEEEEEEHEHEHEHHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHHHHHHHHHHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH!

HAHHAHAHHAAHAHHAHH AHAH HAHAHHAHAHHAHHAH AHHAHAHHA HAHHAHAHAHHHAHAHHAH

ESTIMATE, THATS LIKE MY NICK DUDE!!!

HAHAHHAHA HAHAHAHHAHHAHA HHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAAHAA

HGAHAHHAAaaaa

that Otep shit is fucking annyoing as hell, the first time that happened to me was at ozzfest '02, i was wearing my blackwater park tour shirt and somebody was like "oh, you gonna catch thier set later?" and im like "huh, who?" and they're like "the band on your shirt, Otep"....at this point I just called the guy a fucking dumbass and walked away.

well, out of the 40,000 students on my campus, i'd say *maybe* 50-100 have heard of them, let alone actually listen to them. so...that translates to a really low percentage.

I got my brother into Opeth who got a couple of his friends into Opeth. Opeth is still underground and they could be huge. They don't seem to be actively trying to get to the next level in terms of becoming mainstream, which is a good thing for us.

About the Otep confusion... it's not as bad as when someone walks up to you when you're wearing your BWP shirt and asks you if it says "Oprah".