New guy wants to know what else Opeth listeners like

dune_666

Lord of the Strings
Jul 10, 2001
Columbia, MD USA
As a rabid Opeth fan, and music fan in general, I'm always looking for more music to listen to. Although no other band is quite like Opeth, does anyone know any bands that bridge the gap between the splendor that is Opeth and the doldrom that is everything else?

Here are a few bands and albums which I think fit in this category:

Orphaned Land -- El Norra Alila
Dissection -- Storm of the Lights Bane
Dark Tranquillity -- The Minds I
Edge of Sanity -- Crimson
Nile -- Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka

Rush - A Farewell To Kings
Rush - Hemispheres
(I guess they were an some kind of influence to Mikael, just listen to these albums)

Fates Warning - Awaken The Guardian
(old prog-metal with a mystical feel similar to Opeth, but very high vocals)

I think the fact that Opeth has artistic integrity is that missing link. I find myself capable of enjoying any music that's made with feeling, talent and integrity, metal or otherwise.

I was very interested in reading the jacket to the Dead Man Walking soundtrack. The director wanted only musicians whose music had transcended time and told a story, and he succeeded. It's a fantastic soundtrack. So give anything like that a try... makes sense? no, probably not. ;)

What's wrong with Orphaned Land? Occasionally I find I have to fight through some of the ethnic "intrusions," for lack of a better word, but on the whole I think their music is great, and the eastern elements combined with the thrash/hardcore kind of riffing and screaming solos makes for a great listen.

Depends what sort of mood I'm in, but most recently I have been mostly listening to.....

Porcupine Tree
King Crimson
Led Zeppelin (some rather excellent live bootlegs!)

I think I'll stop at them three, otherwise my list will become endless

If you wanna know what i like in music, here is what ive been listening to alot these days:

Death - I discovered them not too long ago, i already knew who they were but i was missing on one of the most influential and incredible death metal band ever.

Marduk - Especially the albums Panzer Division Marduk and La Grande Danse Macabre, it is simply some of the best blasphemous blast-black metal, if i can call it that way.

Dissection - Storm Of The Light's Bane, one of the best black metal album ever.

Anathema - Judgement

Cynic - They only have one album, i cant remember the name right now, but they have incredible musicians.

Pink Floyd - Animals

Tenhi, Katatonia, Ulver, Anathema, In the Woods..., Empyrium, Saturnus, Yearning, The 3rd & the mortal, Blazing Eternity, :Of the Wand & the Moon:, My Dying Bride, The Gathering, Tiamat, In Flames, Therion(from Theli till this very day), Amorphis, EverEve(only Stormbirds), Autumnblaze, Drawn, Naervaer, Arcturus, Lacuna Coil, Flowing Tears etcetc............. & Opeth, of course.

Albums i've been listening to

Metal
------------
Opeth- Still life , MAYH, BWP
Dark Tranquillity- Haven
Vintersorg - Cosmic Genesis
Borknagar - Quintessence (empiricism should be soooo cool... 2 new members, vintersorg vocalist and Mayhem producer!)
andOceans- Symmetry of I circle of O
Iced Earth - Horror Show

Non-Metal
-------------
Squarepusher - Go Plastic
Autechre -Confield, Chiastic slide
Synapscape - Positive pop
Amon Tobin - Supermodified
Richard Devine- Lipswitch

I've been listening to a lot of the european heavy metal recently.

Dimmu Borgir, My Dying Bride, In Flames, Amon Amarth, Non Serviam, and Soilwork are some of my favorites right now.