What percent of music listeners Know of opeth?

FatherPicard said:
I got my brother into Opeth who got a couple of his friends into Opeth. Opeth is still underground and they could be huge. They don't seem to be actively trying to get to the next level in terms of becoming mainstream, which is a good thing for us.

About the Otep confusion... it's not as bad as when someone walks up to you when you're wearing your BWP shirt and asks you if it says "Oprah".

i kno exactly how u feel..my high school is predominantly black people..no offence...but one of my black friends call my still life shirt the Oprah shirt..lol..

I usually go see Opeth with about 9 of my friends, and those are just the ones who like them. I know at least 30 people who have heard of them.

Not to mention all of the people who know of them simply because I have to explain that my shirt says Opeth, not Oprah. :err:

All of my friends and family and stuff know who they are, I haven't really converted anyone. My parents said Damnation was good but it all sounded too much the same. When I played Deliverance in the car my mom was like "what's that clicking noise? is that part of the music or is something wrong with the car?" that was a laugh :(

I assume that even though they are getting bigger, and they play their music in BestBuy sometimes and you can find it in most of the big record stores, most people still don't know who they are.

<1% of music listeners. However, I would say that very few bands would be over 25% with the exception of rock legends and very mainstream acts. Music listeners is a broad category. In my school of roughly 1,000, I would say maybe 50 know of Opeth, which is pretty good. But it is a predominately middle class white school, and we are more disposed to metal listening than say, and inner city public school, or a rural southern US school.

FatherPicard said:
I got my brother into Opeth who got a couple of his friends into Opeth. Opeth is still underground and they could be huge. They don't seem to be actively trying to get to the next level in terms of becoming mainstream, which is a good thing for us.

About the Otep confusion... it's not as bad as when someone walks up to you when you're wearing your BWP shirt and asks you if it says "Oprah".
I know exactly what thats like. All my friend thought it said Oprah on it and now they have dubbed it the Oprah Shirt. They arent the sharpest knives in the drawer though.

Another occasion I told a person that I listen to opeth. They respond. Oh you mean "Otep"
thats happened before to me...i have a friend who loves Otep and i was telling her about Opeth...and she goes, "I fucking love them! Otep has the best vocals ever! she growls like a man!!" im like "WHAT!?? are you fucking mad? They suck!" she goes "wait...you were just talking about them! and how cool they were!" i said "no..i was talking about the real metal band OPETH!!!" she was like "oh.....oh! i never heard of them..and Otep doesnt suck!" *shakes head*

heh....shes all mallmetal anyway....she hasnt even heard Lacuna Coil which most mallmetalheads have heard of atleast...
at a local skate shop, theres this guy who owns it and ive ordered Opeth from him before since he can find just about anything one throws at him...yesterday we were there and he said he found an Opeth poster in one of his catalogues...he said he was gonna order atleast one or two for us since "we ARE THE ONLY ONES who order that kind of stuff from him"....O_____o so that goes to show in my whole town of people whove actually been to that store, we are the only ones who order any real sort of metal from him...so im thinking out of a good 40,000 people or so i am the only Opeth fan

My mate works in a record store... the only one in town that stocks Opeth, so he meets everyone in town who's into them. I've met about 10 people who've HEARD of them and my mate rekons there's about 40-50 people in town who have bought CD's.

Opeth are underground and they will never try to attract a mainstream fan-base, they are far too buzy expanding the boundaries of music as we know it do so. Still, with the release of Damnation they have the ability to show their art to music-lovers who are unable to appreciate the beauty of Michael`s growling. I work in an "underground" cd shop with a large selection of the music of the 60`s and 70`s. When Damnation was released the interest for Opeth exploded, and they will probably attract new fans that will be horrified by their next release. :headbang:

There are roughly 6.5 billion people on earth, and i'd say that 6.49 of them listen to music in some way shape or form, there are probably about 2 million or so opeth fans in the world, you do the math

Minion520 said:
There are roughly 6.5 billion people on earth, and i'd say that 6.49 of them listen to music in some way shape or form, there are probably about 2 million or so opeth fans in the world, you do the math

You honestly think there are 2 million Opeth fans in the world?
Why have none of their albums sold over 100,000 copies?
Are 95% of their fans music pirates who don't buy any of the cds?

Difficult to guess, but if it`s correct that their records sell about 100.000 copies, and considering the dedication of their fans, I would say that there probably are less than 300.000 fans. I would be suprised if more than a million people worldwide has any interest in the band at all.