Former Opeth Addicts who now rarely listen to Opeth...

Reign in Acai

Of Elephant and Man
Jun 25, 2003
Favela of My Dismay
How many people here are reformed Opeth listeners? I rarely listen to the band anymore, yet I still consider them my favorite. I remember over a year ago I would listen to this band all day with a glimmer in my eye and a crease in my heart! But now they are just one of the many that are lost in the general shuffle of my music listening endeavors! Who here still follows opeth, but rarely listens to them? And of those who do, what are some of the albums/bands that are preoccupying your time nowadays?

:wave:

this is a thoughtful thread. i sometimes wonder when that will happen to me. when will i forgo opeth for country? its only a matter of time.....

*Raises hand*

I've been clean and off the "O" for a few months now, hah. As stated in another thread, I still listen to Orchid occasionaly for the lovely textures and melodies... gives me my fix.

Most of my listening hours these days are consumed by black and thrash metal. No need to drop names.

Another thing... I wonder about the life-expectency of this thread...

I haven't listened to any Opeth in a few months. I'm still a fan, I've just been preorcupied with other genre's etc. I'm currently listening to alot of Death, Mastodon, Vital Remains, Proto-Kaw, Adagio and Pain Of Salvation.

Yep. Should happen to everyone in due time. Moved on to BM and DM, but I still come back to Opeth as often as I spot it in my Playlist - usually for a song or two.

Also, I wasn't deeply impressed with Damnation.

opeth are my fave band ever, but i only listen to still life from time to time. (and SL happens to be my fave album ever along with dark side of the moon)

these days i listen to electronic stuff really. unkle, dj shadow...
some a perfect circle

as for metal: some pain of salvation, neurosis, kayo dot and ulver
and emperor as always

I think I'll always consider them one of my favorite bands, but over the last 4 months or so I haven't been too big on them. Sometimes I'll play a random song and it will either take me back or bore me. I've been listening to soo many bands lately, I've just been lost in all of it. Some of my favorites right now are Neurosis, Botch, ISIS, Cult of Luna, Emperor, Iron & Wine, Neutral Milk Hotel, Mastodon, Nile, Pelican, Sleep, The Postal Service, and Pretty Girls Make Graves.

For me it's like everytime they release a new album, I hurry to get it and hope I'd still get the feeling I once had when I was listening Orchid first time. If I'd like riff-oriented music more, I'd love newer Opeth, but somehow albums like BWP just don't do it for me. Still I consider myself, maybe not a fan, but still person who likes Opeth very much and most probably will go to see them again, when they come to play live next time.

Well, there was certainly a time...around 1999 or so when i listened to them on a daily basis....as of the last couple of years, i can usually go a few months without really listening to Opeth...but ill often listen to a few tracks on my computer about once a week still. So i can say im not "addicted" as you stated...but i still consider Opeth my favorite metal band, among the other greats like Judas Priest, Candlemass, Venom, Mercyful Fate, Morbid Angel and Bathory.

I think sometimes, when you think highly of a band, the smart thing is to leave their material alone for a time to make sure you don't over-listen and ruin your enjoyment of it. That's happened in the past...so sometimes taking a break is a good thing.

I have all of their stuff on my Winamp playlist. I listen to it when it comes on randomly, and sometimes I get a craving for certain songs. Like just now, I suddenly want to listen to Face Of Melinda. o_O

Rose Immortal said:
I think sometimes, when you think highly of a band, the smart thing is to leave their material alone for a time to make sure you don't over-listen and ruin your enjoyment of it. That's happened in the past...so sometimes taking a break is a good thing.

Heh, yeah, i can definitely agree with that. When i first got into Opeth i was absolutely addicted to Still Life...id listen to it all the way through, then go back to the beginning and start again. Until strangely enough one day i realised that i couldn't stand to hear it any more. Really. It wasnt so much boredom with it as actual hate. Skip forward a few months and i touched it for the first time. Wow. Thats why i love Opeth so much; i could play it utterly to death, learn hate for it, then come back one day and just see in a different light all over again how fantastic it really is.

My listening patterns tend to go through phases. After I finally got off my Opeth phase I moved onto Devin Townsend. Then I started getting heavily into Megadeth and then Chris Poland. It's only been a week or so and now I'm really into the new Nightingale album and the strange thing is I really don't think that much of Swano's other musical outputs. I own Crimson II and a Moontower album and they don't really grab me but his latest effort really does.

I get irritated with out Opeth, i just need my fix! if i could mainline opeth i would...its been five years and i still can't stop. I need to wake up to opeth and i go to bed with opeth, but i do listen to other stuff during the day to wane myself off (autumn leaves and a canorous quintet).

Me. Last time I listened was a spin of orchid two months ago, and before that it had been about 3 months since I'd put one of their cds in. They're still my favorite though...

Right now, I've been listening to a lot of amorphis, ywngie, diabolical masquerade, and I've been absolutely hooked on yayo's "when day descends" samples.

I've been unable to sit through an Opeth album for a year now I'd say. I've been listening to a lot of Unicorn, Katatonia, Woods of Ypres, Nightingale, Drudkh, Diabolical Masquerade, Deathspell Omega, Nest, Of The Wand And The Moon, Darkthrone, Bathory, Weakling, and a bunch of other stuff... there's a lot out there that I just didn't know about back in my "Opeth obsession" days.