Former Opeth Addicts who now rarely listen to Opeth...

dorian gray said:
this is a thoughtful thread. i sometimes wonder when that will happen to me. when will i forgo opeth for country? its only a matter of time.....
This was problably meant as sarcasm but actually I have been listening to country for the last six months, not the nashville mainstream country stuff I assure you but stuff like Iron and Wine, Songs:Ohia and Will Oldham ofcourse... ain't it super o_O And Opeth was and is my favourite band yey!

Radiohead is my favorite band, but it's been a while since I've really heard any of their music. It's the same with Opeth.

Wait a minute I heard some Opeth last night :Smug: But sometimes there is a long time between listenings. But it doesn't change the fact that I think that those two band are the greatest ones on the face of the earth.

And curses be on the one who said Still life was a bad album :yuk: :err: :mad:

Last night I listened to Opeth for a bit, I got part way through The Moor, thought it was pretty cool but got boring fast. Probably just burned out on them, but I find all the albums boring now, even the old ones.

Me too. I think the only thing I can tolerate now is Orchid, since I didn't play that one very often. The other albums... need to wait some months.

I've been listening to Estradasphere a lot lately.

I'd probably give opeth more spins if I actually carried a cd binder that can hold more than 32 cd's. (Well I do own one but i'm not lugging that bulky fucker around) So basically my 32 newest cd's get most of my love and attention intil the next haul rolls around. Plus the fact that there are a ton of bands as equally as talented and titilating to the ears as opeth...Doesn't help the cause. It's a case of what would you rather hear... A great band that you've heard a thousand times over? Or a great band that you've just discovered? It's a no brainer!

Mayh said:
This was problably meant as sarcasm but actually I have been listening to country for the last six months, not the nashville mainstream country stuff I assure you but stuff like Iron and Wine, Songs:Ohia and Will Oldham ofcourse... ain't it super o_O And Opeth was and is my favourite band yey!
heh. i was only being sarcastic about the country. i DO think the thread is good.....
i live in nashville and ive never heard of the folks you mentioned. i dont listen to country at all but popular acts are forced down your throat here with billboards and newspapers and whatnot. just goes to show you how commercial some genres can be.
cheers.

^Agree, good thread.

I still have all the albums (mp3s) on my iRiver, but I normally skip over them. Since I've discovered DC++ a few months ago, I've been knee deep in sorting thru new bands. I'll always be sure that Opeth is only a click away though.

Most recent play list:
* Sigur Rós - Ágætis Byrjun
* Cressida - Cressida
* Iron Maiden - Brave New World
* Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
* Thursday - War all the Time
* Ulver - Kveldssanger
* Amplifier - Amplifier

i actually lose interest in bands pretty quicky.. but will always retunr to them.. im always interested in the new.. rather than the old.. but yeah like i said.. just recently ive been listening to alot of morning rise.. alot of it actually so.. yeah i always come back

I'll use this thread to promote an album which is way too unknown and underrated though many magazines praised its excellence: Mindrot - Dawning

If atmospheric Doom/Death (not your standard approach) sounds good to you, give em a chance.

I would've written my own description, but that review says everything:
"They simply do not get more underrated, underappreciated, and/or unsung as this one folks! This now-deceased Doom/Death-band from Orange County, California, achieved something so dreadfully beautiful here that I remain in eternal confusion as to how this masterpiece did not get the notoriety it more-than-deserved. Sure, many magazines praised the hell out of it, but did the readers listen? Not the majority of them it seems. Pitiful...

And how did I happen upon this? Back in '96, browsing the USED section at my CD-store, saw the cover, looked cool, bought it, loved it. There was a time where this was the ONLY thing that played in my stereo for an entire month! I could go on and on about my highly personal experiences with "Dawning". If divine intervention exists, my obtaining this album, at such a time in my life, is one such example.

Opening title-track: absolutely gut-wrenching in its dark fortitude. It clenches at the deepest recesses of the soul, setting an almost ritualistic atmosphere for the rest of the album. Vocalist Adrian Leroux is just...I mean...wow! He really sounds like an invocator of the dark forces of the underworld. Switching from Death-roars to vintage-ANATHEMA-wails on a dime, the sullen pain in his voice is a sound to behold.

Musically, this could be called Atmospheric Goth Metal, but its heaviness would, in my eyes, put it somewhat in the Death Metal-category as well. The emphasis, however, is on dynamics. The band is not afraid to use keyboards, movie samples (sometimes as "motifs" from which an entire song is built, as in "Burden"), clean guitar passages, the sound of ocean waves and rainstorms, and anything else to make the song more colourful and deep. Drummer Evan Seinfeld is of the dexterity of a Gene Hoglan - fast, crafty, and ballsy. The other musicians just follow his sure-footed lead, and in the end it's all just so...so...ooohhhh...so DEVASTATING! Gets better with every listen.

The songs themselves are long, mutating beasts, scavenging the soul for prey, making a slow, delicious feast of the mind and, ultimately, the sanity! And hey, is the loss of sanity not EVERY Metalhead's goal in life? How can you resist this temptation? You should be scouring eBay for this rarity right now!

Anyway, I cannot put into words what this album means to me. Maybe I'm being a tad personal or biased, but alas...I do not care! Some albums are just "like that" for some of us, if you're a music-lover, you most certainly must know what I mean, and if not, you should! What else can I do but say: seek at all costs!!! Perfection in pre-packaged shrink-wrap, what more do you need?

10/10
Gabe"

Im sort of there.. i mean i know every opeth song from memory. Hell i could probably play them in my head lol. I still listen to them, usually when im doing tedious homework and such. They put me asleep when im sick(like i am now) because it keeps my mind occupied. Lately ive been really into Megadeth.. I watched the vh1 behind the music deal of them, and then i started obtaining their music. The song that really got me listening was skin of my teeth.. great song with an awesome solo. After that, they took the spot of fav band. Opeth is right with them though.

mot- said:
I'll use this thread to promote an album which is way too unknown and underrated though many magazines praised its excellence: Mindrot - Dawning

If atmospheric Doom/Death (not your standard approach) sounds good to you, give em a chance.

I would've written my own description, but that review says everything:
"They simply do not get more underrated, underappreciated, and/or unsung as this one folks! This now-deceased Doom/Death-band from Orange County, California, achieved something so dreadfully beautiful here that I remain in eternal confusion as to how this masterpiece did not get the notoriety it more-than-deserved. Sure, many magazines praised the hell out of it, but did the readers listen? Not the majority of them it seems. Pitiful...

And how did I happen upon this? Back in '96, browsing the USED section at my CD-store, saw the cover, looked cool, bought it, loved it. There was a time where this was the ONLY thing that played in my stereo for an entire month! I could go on and on about my highly personal experiences with "Dawning". If divine intervention exists, my obtaining this album, at such a time in my life, is one such example.

Opening title-track: absolutely gut-wrenching in its dark fortitude. It clenches at the deepest recesses of the soul, setting an almost ritualistic atmosphere for the rest of the album. Vocalist Adrian Leroux is just...I mean...wow! He really sounds like an invocator of the dark forces of the underworld. Switching from Death-roars to vintage-ANATHEMA-wails on a dime, the sullen pain in his voice is a sound to behold.

Musically, this could be called Atmospheric Goth Metal, but its heaviness would, in my eyes, put it somewhat in the Death Metal-category as well. The emphasis, however, is on dynamics. The band is not afraid to use keyboards, movie samples (sometimes as "motifs" from which an entire song is built, as in "Burden"), clean guitar passages, the sound of ocean waves and rainstorms, and anything else to make the song more colourful and deep. Drummer Evan Seinfeld is of the dexterity of a Gene Hoglan - fast, crafty, and ballsy. The other musicians just follow his sure-footed lead, and in the end it's all just so...so...ooohhhh...so DEVASTATING! Gets better with every listen.

The songs themselves are long, mutating beasts, scavenging the soul for prey, making a slow, delicious feast of the mind and, ultimately, the sanity! And hey, is the loss of sanity not EVERY Metalhead's goal in life? How can you resist this temptation? You should be scouring eBay for this rarity right now!

Anyway, I cannot put into words what this album means to me. Maybe I'm being a tad personal or biased, but alas...I do not care! Some albums are just "like that" for some of us, if you're a music-lover, you most certainly must know what I mean, and if not, you should! What else can I do but say: seek at all costs!!! Perfection in pre-packaged shrink-wrap, what more do you need?

10/10
Gabe"

welcome to.. what? 6 years ago? more? ok

Mot do you have any mp3's of this band mindrot? If so, would you be kind enough to send me one. I looked into the band and seen some good reviews. Their website has no fucking samples though!!!! Just give me the first track if you can? I'll pay you back by giving you one of my 72 virgins when I die and visit allah?

Funny topic. I actually hadn't listened to them for about month and not too often before that, but for the last week or so I've had an Opeth relapse and have been listening to them nearly non-stop. Opeth is my fav band, although I do that with a lot of bands I like. I go on binges. I re-discover my love or what have you. Not, that I ever lose it, but I take breaks then listen non-stop for a while.

Me too! lol, Opeth is still my fave band and I guess forever! Yesterday I found myself in a sentimental trap, Opeth came to mind and calm the sadness! We don't need to listen to our fave band always, if you are needed and wanted by the will of listen go on :p
Currently listening to Dan's Projects :D Opeth always in mind
I think to me Opeth is like a shelter where everething is perfect!I guess that's why I don't need to listen always, but to listen for the real pleasure