Former Opeth Addicts who now rarely listen to Opeth...

I'm into OPETH since their Orchid debut. After Still life I lost interest but bought the albums anyway. The music stays very good and Mikael's voice sounds better and better, though the newer CD's cannot hold my attention. I know the recept of OPETH and that bothers me a bit. CHILDREN OF BODOM is a band whose recept does bother me. After the first two releases I had heard enough of this band and never listened to newer stuff anymore. I guess I won't be buying a new OPETH CD either...

I'm just about done playing them everyday, I haven't listened to them for about 2 weeks now, but I did watch the Lamentations DVD yesterday (which is awesome). I can't listen to Opeth all the time, I have to be in the mood for it. Strange thing is, I get that mood when I go to sleep, I really like some music that my 'dark' side likes. Albums like MAYH/BWP/SL/Deliverance are awesome to play when going to sleep.

Everything I'll say now has probably been said here before, but I'll still share my thoughts for your pleasure. It's been a few months since I really listened to Opeth at, you know, 8-hours-a-day-every-day-rate, and now I'm just listening perhaps one album every now and then. I've always had a broad musical taste, and because of my musically adventurous mind I think I just can't stick at just one band so much. I really think they should put out new material quickly to keep the listeners' attention. I know there's something coming next spring, but the wait is killing me. Well, I still consider them to be my favourite band.

Nowadays I'm mostly listening to Pain of Salvation, Kate Bush, Gentle Giant, Yes, Ulver etc.

karelrulez said:
I'm just about done playing them everyday, I haven't listened to them for about 2 weeks now, but I did watch the Lamentations DVD yesterday (which is awesome). I can't listen to Opeth all the time, I have to be in the mood for it. Strange thing is, I get that mood when I go to sleep, I really like some music that my 'dark' side likes. Albums like MAYH/BWP/SL/Deliverance are awesome to play when going to sleep.
I know exactly what you mean by playing them to go to sleep. When i get sick, i HAVE to listen to them. I got a real bad cold a couple weeks ago, and the only way to go to sleep was to take alot of nyquil and listen to MAYH+SL and by the time they were both over i was in the zone hehe. I also listen to them to go to sleep when im not home.. like at my dads or just anywhere if i bring my cd player. Usually puts me out after 2-4 songs.

I have a theory about why Opeth is good bedtime music:
The music is so captivating you just forget to think, and then off you go. At least I have sleeping problems because I just can't stop thinking at night. My theory might suck. What do you think?

I'm not sure why, but I'm suprised to see so many people in a similar situation. My enthusiasm for the band started waning somewhere between BWP and Deliverance (note that when I say 'waning' I mean that it is no longer obsessive :oops: ) And as with most others, they are STILL my favourite band. As far as my listening habits go, of course with any release of a new Opeth album, it's starts with almost exclusive play time.... then lots, then slowly sinks back into my 'playlist' to a point where it's not really listened to more than any other one band. So yeah, a month or 2 after a release you would be mistaken for thinking I did not hold the band in such high regard.

The list of other bands I have picked up and regularily listen to since that time is extensive, and quite literally obscene, so I'll just throw out a few off the top of me 'ead:

Lacuna Coil, Alchemist, The Gathering, Saturnus, Pain Of Salvation, Schaliach, Arcana Raison D'etre, Sanctum, Anathema, Amorphis, Arcturus, Blackfield, Delerium, Dan Swano, Edge Of Sanity, Dargaard Ulver and so on and so forth. Only about half a dozen of those bands are even considered to be in the same league as Opeth to me though (as in how far I go out of my way to actively listen to it).

Anyway, most of that has already been stated in one form or another on this thread already, but I just wanted to bring something up which I don't think HAS been pointed out as of yet, which is, of all those who have 'moved on' from Opeth in that sense of the word, how many of you have gone one to have an obsession (healthy or otherwise) with any other SINGLE BAND since then? I'm betting you're all like me, and that after Opeth, you all started to spread yourselves rather thin, and don't spend any significant amount of time with one band (at least not as significant as the time you spent actively listening to opeth) since then.

Am I right?

I haven't really sat down and listened through an entire Opeth album in a while. They used to be on constant rotation a few months ago, but once they release thier new album I'll probably start obsessing again. I've been on a Kalmah binge for the past few weeks...those mothers can shred

annt said:
I have a theory about why Opeth is good bedtime music:
The music is so captivating you just forget to think, and then off you go. At least I have sleeping problems because I just can't stop thinking at night. My theory might suck. What do you think?
Yea thats pretty spot on in my opinion. If im not just REAL tired when i go to bed i keep myself awake because my mind just keeps thinking about shit, whether its stress cause of school or just anything. Opeth tends to keep my mind occupied the whole time, and because its more music based than lyrics, its easy to dream off to. I cant go to sleep listening to megadeth or anything. I dont really know why.. its just the atmosphere is different.

BLackwater86 said:
well, I think Kalmah is better than Bodom...especially lyrically

well, thats not saying much. ive seen better lyrics written by pre-schoolers than bodom's.

but i have trouble thinking of a metal band with lyrics worth reading as it is, so i guess it really doesnt matter.

Lord Herpes you're an arrogant little prick. I take back any kind sentiments I projected towards you in our one and only im conversation months ago. Frankly you annoy the snot out of me. 1,000's of dullards post on Ultimatemetal.com. Yet you are the only one who annoys me. It must be your pretensiousness I can't stand. I'm not attacking you sir. Just explaining one of the many reasons why the Opeth board blows the proverbial man-member. Have a nice day.

NineFeetUnderground said:
well, thats not saying much. ive seen better lyrics written by pre-schoolers than bodom's.

but i have trouble thinking of a metal band with lyrics worth reading as it is, so i guess it really doesnt matter.

Haha, yea, trouble man! At least most metal bands don't quote themselves...