Opeth + snow

ricochet

ghetto philosopher
Jul 7, 2001
behind closed eyelids
Visit site
It rarely snows here, but today it started snowing for the first time since I've lived here. After a few hours of accumulation, I got the urge to walk around and listen to Opeth. So, I bundled up, put Still Life in my portable cd player, and started walking around my apartment complex.

It was a very amazing experience and made me appreciate the music so much more. I just walked and listened not keeping track of time or caring about anything else. I stared at the sky as the snow was hitting me in the face. People were driving by slowly staring at me, but I didn't even pay any attention to them. I played the cd all the way through then made my way back to my apartment.

I know many of you live in places that get a lot of snow. So, have you ever walked around while listening to Opeth? You are very lucky to have such beauty even though it may seem like a hassle. I am really thinking about going to Appalachian State University next year in the mountains near here. I have been there a few times, and it is a really nice place with a lot of cool people.

I just felt like sharing my first Opeth snow experience and was curious what those of you who are around snow thought. I think it makes the music so much better. Yes?

On a side note, I won't be going to school tomorrow since the roads are so bad. :D

P.S. Sorry, Oyo. I know there isn't very much snow in FL. :p

I live in Texas, and it NEVER snows here. But yesterday it did. I happened to be driving to my lake house when it was. It was cloudy, foggy, and snowing as we drove through the wilderness. This was the most amazing atmosphere for any music. I decided to put on Emperors In the Nightside Eclipse, what an experience that was!!

It's nice reading a calm clean post from someone :) Thanks opethiansoul. Everything was basically positive. If everyone posted like that then we would have a sweet message board.

Oyo, I hear you. I always said that there is no way I'd live in Mississippi after high school. Go figure, I moved out of the state on my own after my 10th grade year. :D

SaintJoshy, thanks. I try to remain positive with my posts and not offend anyone. I agree that a lot of the negativity here could make things much easier/better if it wasn't...here. It's all good, though. :p

It is very different listening to music like Opeth in the snow. What's cuulest for me, is walking in the snow in the middle of the night, when it's so much more calm and peaceful, and the dirtiness from all the cars and people is hidden by the dark.

What's not so cool is bitterly cold wind. Snow I like. Winter winds? Blech!

It's very funny. This was actually at night but not late at night. It was dark outside so it gave it that much more atmosphere. However, I was thinking that it wasn't really that cold outside since I was out there for about an hour and a half. There was really no wind. Just snow, Opeth, darkness, and me. What more could you ask for? :p

i've lived in hong kong for the last 12 years so i've never seen snow since i used to live in canada which was when i was 3...i loved it...hopefully when i go to university it'll be a place with a snowy season

llamaura, I haven't tried to listen to Crimson in the snow yet. I need to do that before it all melts. It's a bit late now as it's 2 am, and I am fading pretty fast. :p I will try to do it in the morning...but no the sun will be out, and it'll be melting and wet. ugh!

Spike, never heard 'Hyuck'. I suppose it's just the behind American in me.

bleed for me, stop trying to influence me to go to a snowy university. :p

Originally posted by Spike
Well, I would have gone with "Awwwwww, Hyuck!". But to each his own I guess!:rolleyes:

Ha.! I stick my tongue out at you (in the most non-confrontational way).

OpethianSoul: :lol:
Okay, okay, I'll leave you alone. But when I'm walking through the snow listening to Crimson... ( I will laugh some more.)

This is relly snowy place and I can tell you that listening to music while out in the dark, cold place with snow all around really is a thing worth experiencing. I always listen to music when I'm out with dog or walking to school or out for some other reasons.
For me it raises the atmosphere the music creates to a new level.

Personally I don't like snow very much, unless it's dark, quiet and no people around.....maybe then it would be cool to play "nectar" or "to bid them farewell".........I'll try pretty soon......Norway is cold these days.......aaarghh....

Originally posted by Qsilver
This is relly snowy place and I can tell you that listening to music while out in the dark, cold place with snow all around really is a thing worth experiencing. I always listen to music when I'm out with dog or walking to school or out for some other reasons.
For me it raises the atmosphere the music creates to a new level.
Same here :) except without the dog :p

Well here is my experiences with listening to music outside my room (or in in some case)

- I simply love the sound of rain when it rains a lot, i often open my window and listen to Morningrise. It's evn better when it is at night (while still raining a lot).

- I love to listen to music while at night, i don't know why, but it transcend(sp ?) the music, especially symphonic stuff (like In The Nightside Eclipse wich is totally awesome while at night, in a car or walking). Some Hollenthon song do it also, especially the ones with lot of choirs, i still remember the day while at night in the bus, i was listening to the end of conspirator, it was magic, like time had frozen, i was like alone in my own world, so strange, but so good...

- I never experienced musc while walking in the snow, but i will try it as soon as snow will start to fall here.