Former Opeth Addicts who now rarely listen to Opeth...

AllWithinMyMonster said:
Mot do you have any mp3's of this band mindrot? If so, would you be kind enough to send me one. I looked into the band and seen some good reviews. Their website has no fucking samples though!!!! Just give me the first track if you can? I'll pay you back by giving you one of my 72 virgins when I die and visit allah?

Added you on AIM.

I don't listen to much Opeth, just the Blackwater Park album. I don't really see what alot of people like so much about them, granted, they are good, but they aren't gods like Iron Maiden and Slayer.

So what if I do like Gorgoroth? They are one of the best Black Metal bands out, they might not write the most complicated songs, but I do like them alot better than Opeth.

I listen to them here and there still, but I mostly listen to indie rock and electronic stuff now along with a few metal bands here and there.

Somehow my Trillian Pro seems to be quite fucked up regarding AIM. I can't see anyone online. If you use ICQ, add me: 107213282.

Lately I've been listening to "Orchid" more... I never really got too into this album, but I've been giving it another chance recently and it's fucking amazing. I always liked it but now I'm starting to love it. It's like discovering them all over again :)

I was a huge Opeth fanatic for almost two years - and then, suddenly, I took out Still Life and I never put it back in, nor any of them for that matter. This was something like six months ago, and only in the last few days have I bothered to wipe the dust off Damnation and put it back in... quite odd, now that I think about it - I used to play five or six of their songs on guitar almost daily, and it's boiled down to me playing the 1:30 'Black Rose Immortal' riff once when I'm bored and have nothing else to play... but I've always called them my favorite band.

Opeth were one of the first extreme metal bands that I got into along with Gardenian. And this was a few years ago. I can say I listened to them daily, but I never burned out on them. I just found myself gradually spending less time listening to their work. I found other bands that I liked much more ... though Opeth still do possess some of those special riffs here and there.
It's been a year since I have listened to an entire album by Opeth. The last song I listened to by them was "Black Rose Immortal", and this was at least four months ago.
I've steadily expanded my taste in music and have listened to anything openly. Metal is certainly and always will be for me. I live it. Though I find myself listening to a lot of funk and R&B as well. Here lately nothing but George Clinton, The Gap Band, and Prince have been in my player. Though Death is always played, along with Megadeth and Judas Priest.

Some bands you grow tired of ... some you don't. I never grow tired of the likes of anything Schuldiner did or the classic metal bands. Hell, Prince is always on my playlist as well, from his pop work to the smooth jazz he's been putting out.
Yet Opeth will always be a special band for me.

I just started to stop listening to opeth, there still my favorite band in the world and are geniuses, but till they get a new album for me to bite on... i still listen to them at least once a day, but othere than that i listen to more CHildren of Bodom, and i enjoy learning there solos especially the bed of razors and warheart that i learned yesterday took me like 2 hours to get em down, but they just are a lot of fun to listen to... OPeth is way better though

AllWithinMyMonster said:
How many people here are reformed Opeth listeners? I rarely listen to the band anymore, yet I still consider them my favorite. I remember over a year ago I would listen to this band all day with a glimmer in my eye and a crease in my heart! But now they are just one of the many that are lost in the general shuffle of my music listening endeavors! Who here still follows opeth, but rarely listens to them? And of those who do, what are some of the albums/bands that are preoccupying your time nowadays?

I still follow Opeth but VERY rarely do I listen to them anymore. I am constantly listening to new music (almost hit 500 bands) on my computer. I'm also constantly ordering new CDs and going to shows, so I rarely spend too much time on a band anymore.

The last few days I've been listening to :

Necrophagist - The Epitaph
Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh
Symbiosis - Crisis
Orphaned Land - Mabool

Diabolical Masquerade - (All albums: I'm still sad Blackheim closed the project)

Yeah I rarely listen to them anymore and I consider them as one of my favorite bands too.

I got into everything basically. But mainly experimental music.

I hadn't listened to any Opeth album for several months before the last week or so. "My Arms, Your Hearse" hasn't left my car's CD player for a while now. I think I've just recently discovered how great an album this really is. As for their other albums, I just have no interest in listening to them, especially Deliverance and Damnation. I never cared for Deliverance, but Damnation was once a favorite of mine. And since I've been hearing so much about it recently, I attempted to give Still Life a listen last night, but I just couldn't get into it. Some albums that have been holding me over are:

The Crown - Deathrace King
Katatonia - Brave Yester Days
Daylight Dies - No Reply
Pelican - Australasia
Dark Tranquillity - The Mind's I
Deadboy and the Elephantmen - If This is Hell, Then I'm Lucky
Acid Bath - When the Kite String Pops
All That Remains - This Darkened Heart
The Great Deceiver - Terra Incognito
Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies

I am one of these kinds of fans. Last year I used to listen to an Opeth album everyday. My day was not complete without at least one Opeth album. I would sometimes listen to two albums a day as well. I was in love with them, but it slowly faded during the first part of this year. Maybe after March. Mainly, I got out of them because of all the jackasses in my school who started likeing them. They are a bunch of kids who like hardcore and screamo horse shit. I still consider them my favorite band though. If I actually put in an Opeth album, I would enjoy like last year. I most recently listened to My Arms, Your Hearse last month and enjoyed it like the old days. Recently, I have been listening Rapture, Katatonia, Daylight Dies, Ayreon, Diabolical Masquerade, Edge Of Sanity, Amon Amarth, Hypocrisy, Fragments Of Unbecoming, Evergrey, and October Tide.

Sickman said:
I hadn't listened to any Opeth album for several months before the last week or so. "My Arms, Your Hearse" hasn't left my car's CD player for a while now. I think I've just recently discovered how great an album this really is. As for their other albums, I just have no interest in listening to them, especially Deliverance and Damnation. I never cared for Deliverance, but Damnation was once a favorite of mine. And since I've been hearing so much about it recently, I attempted to give Still Life a listen last night, but I just couldn't get into it. Some albums that have been holding me over are:

The Crown - Deathrace King
Katatonia - Brave Yester Days
Daylight Dies - No Reply
Pelican - Australasia
Dark Tranquillity - The Mind's I
Deadboy and the Elephantmen - If This is Hell, Then I'm Lucky
Acid Bath - When the Kite String Pops
All That Remains - This Darkened Heart
The Great Deceiver - Terra Incognito
Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies

fuck yeah to deathrace king.

Scourge of Malice said:
Lately I've been listening to "Orchid" more... I never really got too into this album, but I've been giving it another chance recently and it's fucking amazing. I always liked it but now I'm starting to love it. It's like discovering them all over again :)

i was in Best Buy yesterday, browsing all the cds, and I came to "O" and what do i see in front of the Opeth section?
Orchid.
I was pretty baffled. so many people on here, i guess from places other then the US are like it's SO hard to get their cds! and i just walked into best buy, and their debut album was there haha. they also had 2 copies D2, 1 copy BWP, and 1 copy D1, but..that's understandable. just thought i'd share the oddity. (i've also seen the "rare" to come by, STILL LIFE in a local cd shop too haha)

^orchid was at best buy? you gotta be kidding me. probably a mistake by the nerd that orders the cds. seriously, im amazed there was even and "opeth" section. then again, i've purchased fates warning albums there. you never know with best buy.

sourge of malice: me too. i found the best way to listen to such an album is to put it in the car, so youre forced to listen to it whilst you drive. eventually, you really like it....or it gets thrown out the window. orchid hasnt made it out the window yet = good album.