Getting others into Opeth

I'm not hell-bent on coverting my friends to Opeth, thats too much like being an annoying preacher for the Catholic church that won't stop until you are a god-fanatic. Moreover its just intensely frustrating when you can't get people who currently think they listen to thoughtful music to acknowledge its validity.

Hmm yeah #1 problem with Opeth. Once you're into it, there's no turning back... if you used to be a fan of old school metal or nu-metal, it makes you look back in digust at how simple and predictable the music is... it just makes it difficult to listen to anything else.

Well my parents find some appreciation in it which is pretty cool. A friend of mine bought BWP but hasn't gotten anymore because he isn't a huge music fan and can't find them. A friend of mine who was basically into jazz and classical and eclectic stuff wanted to hear some of my music because he respected my open mind. I lent him Still Life, and he loved it. He just hasnt bought any CDs yet unfortunately.

_Transparent_ said :-

patience. not everyone has it

perfectly stated. Just what I was going to say.

Opeth requires patience to get into it. I was probably lucky. The first song I'd ever heard was In the Mist She was Standing and straight away the first chord grabbed me...it was so winding and melodic. Not all of Opeth is like this and much of it requires patience to get into it. You could say, its easy to like something if your exposed to it 365 24 x 7, but I think Opeth is different. There's something barely seen, deeper under the surface that requires you to peel it back like an onion. Very layered...

This is what I appreciate.

Alot of other music is quite simplistic with basic structures and progression...which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Its probably required if you want to have some background music or just something easy listening. I tend not to have Opeth on when I'm with non metallars and I usually wouldn't play it at a party...unless someone asks.

For me, its personal music.

I don't really care about getting other people into Opeth. If they see something in it, good for them...if not, no matter.

sorry about the long rant...but I haven't posted for days and I'm pent up like a quadraplegic on speed...sorry about the bad joke as well...

Originally posted by Cutter

perfectly stated. Just what I was going to say.

Opeth requires patience to get into it. I was probably lucky. The first song I'd ever heard was In the Mist She was Standing and straight away the first chord grabbed me...it was so winding and melodic. Not all of Opeth is like this and much of it requires patience to get into it. You could say, its easy to like something if your exposed to it 365 24 x 7, but I think Opeth is different. There's something barely seen, deeper under the surface that requires you to peel it back like an onion. Very layered...

This is what I appreciate.

Alot of other music is quite simplistic with basic structures and progression...which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Its probably required if you want to have some background music or just something easy listening. I tend not to have Opeth on when I'm with non metallars and I usually wouldn't play it at a party...unless someone asks.

For me, its personal music.

I don't really care about getting other people into Opeth. If they see something in it, good for them...if not, no matter.

sorry about the long rant...but I haven't posted for days and I'm pent up like a quadraplegic on speed...sorry about the bad joke as well...

Just quoted this because its the smartest thing I've read in a long time, you are exactly right. Opeth would go down terribly at a party, and probably put a lot of people of it. I also acknowledge the fact it is personal music. Its something you listen to without subjecting to others, because you know when you hear it it is special.

I really don't think Opeth is an aquired taste though, I think anyone no matter what age or disposition could enjoy it, people just have unbreakable perceptions of what music they should enjoy. For example, I'm sure all of us here hate pop music, if everyone in the world had a completely open mind or was not governed by their ideologies we would all be jamming to n'sync. Perish the thought.

Sorry if the preceding post sounding a bit cheesy.

Two friends of mine have recently gotten into Opeth. I played three of my friends "Harvest" and "The Drapery Falls". Two of them bought BWP shortly thereafter and one of them just bought Still Life & Morningrise. They both love BWP. Unfortunately, the third friend did not like Opeth, but he did say that they were interesting.

I picked these two songs because they are very melodic and there is minimal growling. The fact that they hear the clean vocals before the growling kind of eases them into it.

Originally posted by Static
I know its wrong to try and force music upon others, and it rarely works, and why am I the only one out of anyone who can see its brilliance?
That's pretty much the whole point I think, you either see the brilliance or you probably never will...

The same for Metal in general, you either are open to it and willing to like it, but if you aren't you probably never will...

You shouldn't try and FORCE Opeth (or any music) on someone. You play it for them in the car, at your house, whatever you wanna do. You can't tie them up, gag them, and threaten them with violence if they don't listen.

In another thread people were talking about preachy Christian metal bands and how they can be annoyed by their supposed "preachiness". Well, think of it the same way with music: don't be preachy and indignant about your music. Share it with them casually. Some people need to be eased into new ideas.

There are several bands where at first I did not see the brilliance of their music but after time I grew to love their music. Don't give up because a person doesn't like Opeth the first time they hear it. Keep on trying but don't ram it down their throats.

I agree that the Tool t Opeth transition seems like a natural one, although I was never much into Tool. Anyway, my experience was like static's. I tried to turn a Tool fan (the drummer in my band actually) onto Opeth by lending him BWP. He couldn't get past the growls, although he liked the drumming. I didn't get the impression that he listened very carefully though.

BTW, I enjoyed the posts from the folks who's reletives are steeped in music theory. I've always wondered what that sort of person would think of Opeth. Although the composer/dad said Opeth was "trying" to expand rock music. Was he implying that they failed?

I play Opeth pretty much all day in the gas station I work at and people really do appreciate its complexity... all except some jackass that came in today and asked "Is this Korn?"... LOL! I told him no- Korn wished they had one tenth the talent Opeth does in 1 single solitary note.... he wasn't happy. :lol:

Originally posted by erich

BTW, I enjoyed the posts from the folks who's reletives are steeped in music theory. I've always wondered what that sort of person would think of Opeth. Although the composer/dad said Opeth was "trying" to expand rock music. Was he implying that they failed?

Nah, I think its more the fact that my father loves his classical music so much (e.g Beethoven, Schubert etc...), and is so sure of its unrivaled musical complexity (and to be fair he's probably right) that he could never bring himself to openly admit a 'rock' band was as complex or skilled.