New Project, New Mix, New Grooves.

Humidfume

Hey guys, working on a side project with a friend of mine which (if it's good enough) should allow us to work together on a more concrete basis.

I mixed this from scratch, no presets, no old plugins etc...

It's my first time actually mixing myself in possibly 3 years? I've been using my other band's vocalist / guitarist presets for that duration.

But as it's a new project I wanted to start from fresh. Please please please give me your feedback on both riffs and the mix!

Cheers!

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah not bad. I like your riff style with the runs. The mix isn't great but a good starting point i think.

Waht did you use for guitar´s? Nice sound and tune!!!

Hey man! I used my custom Hart Guitar (Endorsee baby!!! :D) with a Warpig in the bridge. Focusrite 2i4 interface and TSE X50 into keFIR cab cim. JJ impulses.

hWGz5Dg.jpg
FrWJlq8.jpg
OwSawHu.jpg
GLzJv8K.jpg

Thanks!!

Sick man! Vocals sound brutal as always.

Thanks man!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok no problem, can you elaborate on what you think the problems are?

Sorry I didn't follow up sooner, I seemed to have missed thread updates!

There's nothing inherently problematic...the first mix sounded a bit machine-gun like on the drums and I can barely hear any distinct bass. The guitar sound is fine...you can hear everything so from a mix perspective it's fine i guess.

I just feel (and maybe i'm a fuddy-duddy) but everyone is creating tracks with a very similar sound and feel to each other. I am not criticising your music or anything though, don't get me wrong. Everyone seems to mix in the same way...a lot of low cut on the guitars and creating this clean, stale kind of sound. There's little room for ambience any more in everyone's music.

What do you use to create your guitar tone?

Sorry I didn't follow up sooner, I seemed to have missed thread updates!

There's nothing inherently problematic...the first mix sounded a bit machine-gun like on the drums and I can barely hear any distinct bass. The guitar sound is fine...you can hear everything so from a mix perspective it's fine i guess.

I just feel (and maybe i'm a fuddy-duddy) but everyone is creating tracks with a very similar sound and feel to each other. I am not criticising your music or anything though, don't get me wrong. Everyone seems to mix in the same way...a lot of low cut on the guitars and creating this clean, stale kind of sound. There's little room for ambience any more in everyone's music.

What do you use to create your guitar tone?

NP! I definitely understand where you're coming from, for me I haven't referenced anyone in particular, I just love the way huge production sounds, Tesseract, Textures, Periphery, Karnivool etc.

Guitars are TSE X50 and keFIR.

This is my first mix in about 3 years (without using presets etc) so it's all done from scratch with new knowledge / experience in live sound teching.

Sorry for making you repeat yourself regarding the guitar tone. I just realised now you already answered that question. That's an incredible job with the x50...you've done much better than I did to get that kind of sound out of it. I thought it might have been a Kemper on listening haha!

Sorry for making you repeat yourself regarding the guitar tone. I just realised now you already answered that question. That's an incredible job with the x50...you've done much better than I did to get that kind of sound out of it. I thought it might have been a Kemper on listening haha!

Honestly it's not a problem :D. With regards to TSE, thank you so much! I learned a lot about TSE and best methods using it from a friend / bandmate who mixes our band stuff. If you set it up right TSE seems pretty transparent, the better the gear, technique etc the better the tone. That's been true for us across 4 guitars now. Perhaps even 5?

Pre gain: 3 Bass: 1 Mids: 6 Treble: 6 Presence: 10 Post gain: 10

Then it's just cab sim / impulses.

In short, with TSE I've found that low bass, high Mids and decent treble put you in good sted, then use eq after to boot or cut problem areas.

Cheers!

I guess the cab sim and impulse part is a big part of it? I have little patitence for mixing and matching and auditioning them. I bought Recabinet in the end and blended their stock cabs to reasonable effect. But year, what you also say about guitar technique is a big part of the sound.

I have a Kemper now and it's definitely a big improvement tone wise and am reamping some of the songs I used VST plugins on.

I guess the cab sim and impulse part is a big part of it? I have little patitence for mixing and matching and auditioning them. I bought Recabinet in the end and blended their stock cabs to reasonable effect. But year, what you also say about guitar technique is a big part of the sound.

I have a Kemper now and it's definitely a big improvement tone wise and am reamping some of the songs I used VST plugins on.

Yeah it's like 70% of the overall tone in my opinion.