Boston, MA
www.myspace.com
and it even got album of the month!

yayayayayayay! :)

http://www.calamityproject.com/review/index.php?rid=465

kayo dot
choirs of the eye
tzadik

if you're anything like me, once in a while you become completely bored with music and you find nothing to be anything satisfying, and that everything tends to have absolutely no innovation whatsoever. then comes along a band such as kayo dot, that takes the road less travelled, and puts out a record that completely blows you away.

formerly known as maudlin of the well, the band shed the monicker, broadened the horizon of their songwriting, and in the process developing an eclectic, beautiful, and awe inspiring sound. utlizing a variety of stringed instruments, pianos, horns, and electronics, kayo dot creates these amazingly orchestrated pieces that you find yourself totally engulfed in. the more quiet and melodic parts often have a feel of like a score to a really good movie. the stringed instruments (such as the violin for example), the trumpets, and the pianos really give it that orchestrated/symphonic sort of feel to it. they linger quietly, and build up over a period of time, turning into epic pieces and often lacing over heavier, distorted parts. it's got a great contrast and feel to it.

this album is definitely not for those who are close-minded. this album is the kind of album that challenges you, intrigues you, and is not typical to anything you've ever heard. it also happens to be, by far, one of my favorite records to be released in a long, long time. ever since i got the cd, it hasn't left my cd player, and if it does, it's to go into my discman. not many records are capable of doing that with me. that should tell you just how much i adore this album! in the past couple of weeks, whenever someone asks me about new music, this has been the first band to be recommended by me. if you like a variety of music, and are into bands such as sigur ros, gregor samsa, neurosis (think later stuff), isis, and if you're into orchestral/symphonic music, this is THE album to buy. another good point i should mention is that this happens to be the ONLY album that i have ever spent money on and reviewed. that's how amazing this record is, and how much i believe in them. look no further, this just very well may be the record of the year, if not the next two!

FuSoYa said:
Demonspell, how does it compromise it?
I think he means that since the guy bought it it might skew his judgement into saying that it is good as he payed for it. Nobody likes to buy a shitty album, I know I sometime find myself giving a better review than it deserves to an album I pay money for.

I usually lower the mark to compensate after I realize it.

I'm thinking it in more of the fact that the reviewer was bringing unnecessary attention to the fact that he doesn't have to pay for the music he critiques, and it comes across as being arrogant ("why should I spend my own money?") rather than a token of praise...

...or maybe it's just jealousy on my part since I'm not on any promo lists. :)

promo lists are both a blessing and a curse. I get my share of free music, but a good portion isn't really to my taste. and I have to write about it. and not too negatively as to make their publicist angry enough to cut off my flow of free CDs.

(though I really don't generally actually *hate* anything I've received so far)