New Ripper Owens Track

Thanks for the link, the song is pretty good indeed, Very different from his Beyond Fear material.

It reminds me most of the stuff on Framing Armageddon. I'm now officially excited for this release. That record converted me to a Ripper fan, and I was really hoping he'd get something similar sounding together. I agree with the Dio comparison, which can also be made with some of the Framing Armageddon stuff.

So I just spent the last hour and a half hanging out with Tim at the listening party for his new CD and I think the majority of you will be quite pleased with this. I was kind of hoping to be able to purchase it early but he wasn't there to sell merch, just to hang out.

So I just spent the last hour and a half hanging out with Tim at the listening party for his new CD and I think the majority of you will be quite pleased with this. I was kind of hoping to be able to purchase it early but he wasn't there to sell merch, just to hang out.

Awesome! Can't wait to hear it. Where do you live?

Really cool happening. :kickass: Glad you had the chance and enjoyed it. Thanks for the hint on the album.

There's another track now streaming on Myspace, called Cover up. It's heavier than the other one, and cool. I'm guessing it's the track with Jeff Loomis on it, though that's not clearly stated anywhere. Only that it's got a lot of widdly widdly going on. A pretty cool old school-ish track.

I'm looking about as forward to this as I was John Arch's excellent solo disc a few years back. All evidence so far suggests a cool old school disc (with Tim's excellent singing, of course).

There's another track now streaming on Myspace, called Cover up. It's heavier than the other one, and cool. I'm guessing it's the track with Jeff Loomis on it, though that's not clearly stated anywhere. Only that it's got a lot of widdly widdly going on. A pretty cool old school-ish track.
You have good ears sir, it's Loomis. The lineups for each track can be seen at Tim's website.

Generally speaking I love his vocals but neither of the released tracks have made me go wow at any point. Ok, safe sounding metal. Still don't quite understand why this isn't a Beyond Fear release. Marketing reasons maybe, so they could have all these guest musicians and put big "featuring members of..." stickers on the CD. I guess it would look pretty odd for a "real band" like BF instead of a solo album which everyone expects to be a mishmash anyway...

Really looking forward to Ripper's show in Sweden Rock though! He has a cool band together in Comprix, Caffery, Ellefson and Wright. Not sure if he's going to do any Iced Earth considering the way he was booted but I have my fingers crossed for Priest's Cathedral Spires and Heart of a Killer by Winter's Bane.

Ok, safe sounding metal. Still don't quite understand why this isn't a Beyond Fear release.

I like Tim's vocals. I never had a problem with him been chosen for Judas Priest (my problem with those albums was the poor composition), I like his work in Iced Earth "Framing Armageddon (Sometihing Wicked Part 1)", I like the cover he sung of 'Mr. Crowley' and I like his work now with Yngwie Malmsteen last album. But I didn't liked the stuff of Beyond Fear, maybe again is the way he feels for that band the sound must be (composition) opposed to what he wants to do as a solo name.

As for 'The Cover Up' is funny because now he reminds me of Ralf Scheepers who reminds me of Halford (more than Owens does IMO) :lol:. Now the song is definitively old school metal, the album sounds promising indeed. I already have it on my wish list.

I managed to find it and download it to see if the albums lives to the expectations of the players and Owens vocals skills.

I must say I don't know what to do with Tim anymore. Like I have posted before I liked him in JP (the bad composition wasn't his fault), I liked him in Ice Earth (still have to check TGB :eek:), I like him a lot with Yngwie Malmsteen. But I don't like him in Beyond Fear and now his solo album fails to deliver to me the kind of metal I was expecting. Many songs sound either modern to my taste or even a leftover from "Demolition" days :err:. I think Owens can be a very good hired gun but he can't deliver his own stuff well.

I was hoping to pair this album with the new Primal Fear since both vocalist song alike to me and even if the new PF is not as good as "New Religion", it's ok (I have to spin it again). But PMG just don't click with me, I will have to spin it again too but something tells me I'm gonna end skipping it :mad:

Has anyone managed to listen to it already?

My review of Play My Game....

http://rockandrollazine.blogspot.com/2009/05/tim-ripper-owens-play-my-game.html

I really wanted to like this one because it’s Tim’s first album stepping out o his own. The end result however is forced, contrived and sadly doesn’t jell to well.

At this stage in his career and with this kind of fire power I was expecting a blockbuster.

I guess you summarized perfectly what I feel regarding the album after 2 complete listenings. Sorry Tim, I'm not gonna buy it :erk: