New Saga release...

Wilkie

Feb 24, 2004
Farnborough, Hampshire, UK
Saga's new album, 'Network', is released on 20th September. I've heard a few samples already, and I am SOOOOOOOO exicted by this release. My first thoughts are, that this is the most important Saga album since 'Heads Or Tales', and should put the disappointment of 'Marathon' behind them :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Geez, I sure hope so. I'm one of those folks on here who is a BIG SAGA fan and was pleased with Full Circle and was extremely pleased with House of Cards.... but felt really burned by Marathon - I believe I have played that CD approximately 4 times and that's it. I was so disappointed with it....

Haven't heard any samples fromt he new one but sure hope you are right!!

(isn't Negus not playing drums with them anymore?...)

I know exactly what you meant. They started the 'Marathon' tour by playing 3 new songs in the set, and ended with just two.

The new tracks can be heard here: -Saga Network Samples

Steve Negus left last summer, but Christian Simpson is doing a fine job. I think he ONLY uses an acoustic kit, and it sounds great, even from these samples. Maybe (dare I say), even a bit like 'World's Apart' :OMG: :OMG: :headbang: :worship:

Never heard any Saga album...I am curious.

I was thinking of starting with Generation 13?

What do you saga expert think?

Thanks,

JF

ps can't believe I never checked these guys out...I may live in the USA, but I am Canadian!

No expert here, but I think "Generation 13" is a good album for a prog fan.
And to me, "In Transit" is still one of the best live albums. 80s sound, but simply great.
Got "Marathon" before the last tour, but don't like that one at all.

Yes, 'Generation 13' is great, as it has recurring themes (both musically and lyrically). If you're more of a tune person, 'World's Apart' is widely considered their finest hour. However, judging by the samples from 'Network', that may be about to change......

Hi again guys,

picked up G13 this weekend (also Marathon...zut! I should have checked here earlier for your comments re:Marathon).

I listened to G13 2x and it has a lot of potential. I wasn't expecting such a sound. Pretty unique sounding. I dig it so far and I think it will grow a lot more. To me that's a great exemple of how re-using themes and lyrics on an album can make a whole without ever getting boring.

Haven't listen to marathon yet...comments soon!

Thanks for turning me on these guys!

JF

jfcote said:
Hi again guys,

picked up G13 this weekend (also Marathon...zut! I should have checked here earlier for your comments re:Marathon).

I listened to G13 2x and it has a lot of potential. I wasn't expecting such a sound. Pretty unique sounding. I dig it so far and I think it will grow a lot more. To me that's a great exemple of how re-using themes and lyrics on an album can make a whole without ever getting boring.

Haven't listen to marathon yet...comments soon!

Thanks for turning me on these guys!

JF
You're welcome!! I will be interested in your thoughts on 'Marathon' :wave: