New Saxon Fan

If you start with the 'Wheels Of Steel, 'Strong Arm Of The Law', 'Unleash The Beast' and 'Lionheart' albums, then you can't go far wrong. Two albums from when it all started, and two of the recent albums.

As for live stuff, there are plent of reviews out there. Not to mention the lastest Saxon album that has just been released of course, 'The Eagle Has Landed 3'. That album has a lot of the old songs on there, as well as a lot of the new stuff. So it would be well worth you getting that.

Welcome to the forum.

Lionheart747 said:
If you look around you can actually find that both Wheels of Steel and Strong Arm of the Law are on a joint CD,then just build up your collection,but i agree with Paxoman,anyway welcome to the forum and enjoy Saxon....

Good point mate! I forgot to mention that you can buy 'Wheels Of Steel' and 'Strong Arm Of The Law' as a double package cd, with bonus live tracks. That really should be your first buy.

Power and the Glory is another classic release. Certainly one of the best. My recomendation would be to get heavy metal thunder... before anything else. It has Classic saxon tunes rerecorded with a more modern sound that is a great representation of there biggest classic songs. Denim and Leather is another classic release but wheels, strong arm and power and the glory should be picked up before them. Also The first Eagle has landed is one of the best live records ever made

Hmm, yeah, hello there!

Paxoman's list was pretty good. Wheels of Steel, Strong Arm of the Law, Denim and Leather and Killing Ground and Lionheart. That would be my list. Their albums from 1980 to 1984 are the best IMO. The others aren't bad, but maybe harder to listen to, I think.

welcome to the club bro, get yourself "metalhead", and if funds are tight , the "best of" album has all the standards for a dirt cheap price.

Bosnian Witchfinder said:
i would disagree with getting killing ground first, because although its really catchy the hard rock songs wear off after a couple of plays.

Each to his own. You might be right about KG, but I still think it has some catchy songs that are perfect when you're just starting to listen to Saxon, you know. IMO, the first song to listen if you want to listen to Priest, is Breaking the Law, even though you'll propably hate it after few days :heh:

welcome to the club bro, get yourself "metalhead", and if funds are tight , the "best of" album has all the standards for a dirt cheap price.

Do Not get 'a collection of metal', it is the worst best of album that ive ever seen, in the sense that it misses out nearly every great saxon song: nothing off strong arm, power and the glory, no wheels of steel

+ it has i can't wait anymore

lets see,
the best of saxon (emi)blue cover

eagle has landed
ride like the wind
crusader
frozen rainbow
midas touch
denim and leather
broken heroes
dallas 1pm
princess of the night
and the bands played on
never surrender
this town rocks
strong arm of the law
heavy metal thunder

cannot think of a better introduction to Saxon then that list of songs . well worth the 5.99 i paid for it and i already had a good number of the tracks on disc.

but in general, i agree , most "best of's" are horrid, especially if they are independent of the band itself

Thanks guys :)

and hello Angel ...yah i've always heard of saxon ,but had hardly heard them :)

Thanks for your recommendations..i plan to snag the eagle has landed 3 when i see it here in the states....

Speaking of which, when was the last time saxon played the states?

Justin

Looking forward to Saxon at Wolves (one of the few benefits of living here is we get some good bands come through) again!

Mind you, we have a few bands on the way round prior to that (BOC at Bilston).

On the subject of Manowar touring England, they annihilated wolves civic last time out (Agony and Ecstacy tour, Skyclad supporting)!

Looking forward to seeing any of you folks then!

Klingonbear said:
Looking forward to Saxon at Wolves (one of the few benefits of living here is we get some good bands come through) again!

Mind you, we have a few bands on the way round prior to that (BOC at Bilston).

On the subject of Manowar touring England, they annihilated wolves civic last time out (Agony and Ecstacy tour, Skyclad supporting)!

Looking forward to seeing any of you folks then!

I'll be at Wolves! See ya there.

I tell you what, Bilston is getting better for gigs lately. I can't afford BOC as I have a few things on in July, but I'm going to see Jeff Healey there in August.

:headbang: