New Scourge song

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!! :)
Very nice guitar work as usual too :)
Of course, you do know that everytime one of you lot puts up a song you always depress me because the crap i come up with you wouldnt wipe your backside with compared to all the songs you guys have come up with (that means you crossy, moony, timmy etc!)
Bastards :lol:

It was recorded in my study and my bedroom... both of which miraculously double as our studio ;)

Rhythm guitars were my Jackson. Mic'd amp. Tube preamp before going to the computer. The main leads were a Les Paul. The harmonised leads were the LP and the Jackson.

Bass was a shitty Squire Precision bass that I hired for $20 and that was DI'd through my tube pre to the computer.

Vocals were recorded on my Rode NT1... yes you guessed it, through the tube pre to the computer.

Drums were programmed in a sample sequencing program called Fruity Loops.

That's about it really.

OK, bear in mind that these are just my opinions and nothing more and it means absolutely nothing if you disagree with me! I'm told opinions are like assholes... :)

First the negatives (in my opinion):

The drum machine sounds very drum machine-y! (Is that a word? HAHA!)... The programming is pretty damn good but I think the sounds let it down a bit. There's a few tricks you can do to make it sound more real, like mix down each drum on its own and apply EQ & FX to it (especially early room reflections), also varying the velocity of different snare / hi-hat hits make it sound more realistic.

I was surprised to hear that the guitars were mic'd - they sounded DI'd. Very buzzy and lacking... body, I guess. I'd say that could be fixed with a big boost to the midrange and a slight hi-cut. This will also space your mix out a lot more too because the highs & lows won't be fighting for the same frequency space as the cymbals / hats & kicks / bass.

Bass - well, you know what's wrong with it! HAHA! If you're gonna DI bass, try an amp simulator plugin like Cakewalk's Amp Sim or Amp Sim Lite (free with Cakewalk) - that makes a HUGE difference to the sound! Bulk compression helps too...

Vocals - you can tell you used a NT1 - great mic! The only complaint there is that the melody of the vocal line got a little lost every now and then.

Overall, the mix could have benefitted from a lot more mid range boost and some hefty compression to crank it up...

Now, the positives!

Great fuckin' song!!! :D You guys have got something great happening here! Very Megadeth inspired but with the kind of harmonies that make me wanna go "Yeah!!!!" :)

The solos are great (did I mention the excellent harmonies?) and the bass was pretty water-tight too! Locked in well with the drums also!

Vocally, it's pretty good too! Very "Dave" I think, which can never be a bad thing! :)

I really can't wait to hear this stuff done with a real drummer in a big studio (or better yet, live!).

All I can say really is well done! Write that damn album, become hella-rich and hella-famous and take over the world! :D

That's awesome Tim!! I was hoping you'd rip into it... hehe.

I heard it was cool to do remixes of songs... so I thought I'd give it a shot... well not one of THOSE kinds of remixes anyway. I'm not really in a position to improve the drums and bass a huge deal at this stage. However I have severly eq'd the guitars... the buzzing is gone and to my ears they sound much fuller.

I've just put up a small sampleto get your opinion on to save you downloading the whole thing again.

http://www.geocities.com/scourge_band/Legend2sample.mp3 - you'll have to copy and paste this into a new browser window because geocities are retards.

Your points about the drums are correct. I think they'd sound much better if I mixed each sample down onto a different track and tweaked each one individually, but because I'm running 6 rhythm guitar tracks, 2 guitar tracks per solo, 4 or 5 for the harmonised parts, at some points 4 vocal tracks, a bass track and then a drum track... my computer starts to get very angry with me and starts crashing like a one armed taxi driver scratching his ass. The samples aren't that great either, but they're the best I have... unless you want to supply us with some Dungeon drum kit samples ;)

Bass - don't have any amp simulator plugins unfortunately. Might see what I can do about renting a bass pod or something next time. I agree it sucks but that's the best we can do at this stage.

You know, until you said it, I didn't really notice the buzzy guitars... it's always good to have a fresh pairs of ears while doing all this stuff.

Anyway, glad you liked it... thanks again for the honest criticism!!!

I believe in telling like it is or just keeping my mouth shut completely if it's shit! :)

The way I see it, you can either do that or just say "yeah, man, it's cool" regardless of what you think of it because you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I personally think that does more harm that good in the long run because you're not really finding out the truth until you're faced with someone like a label manager telling you the stuff that no one else would own up to!

What I DO hate, though is for people to say "dude, it sucks" without having any good reasons to back it up. That's just as bad as "dude, it rules!" I think!

But you guys got out of it lightly compared to my review of our mix of the Resurrection album... and also Tania's 'Can You Deal With It' (which I LOVE, by the way, but there's a lot of things I'd do different!)

Anyway, let's move on...

The sample sounds so much more in your face than the last mix! It's hard to tell what it really sounds like with the annoying MP3 compression artifacts but that's a necessary evil for the web unfortunately...

I'd probably personally go as far as ripping even more high-end off the guitars and pushing them back in the mix a little, giving everything a little more sonic space - however, with the drums and bass how they are, you wouldn't see much of the benefits of this because both of those things are taking up a little more room than they should too (which you can't do much about with the way they are).

Essentially what you should be trying to achieve is everything having it's own space in the mix, so no overlapping EQs unless the sounds are purposely designed to work that way.

For example, the kick and bass share ROUGHLY the same frequency range but sometimes you can loose your kick drum in the mix when the bass is on top of it. What you'd do is cut the bass at under 60hz (because you won't hear it), around 200hz (to give the kick's body more room) and maybe a tad over 3kHz (because you don't really notice it missing in the mix). Then with the kick, boost it's upper mids and highs to make it cut through (where the bass has been cut).

With stuff like guitars, you should EQ your rhythms to sound the same because they're designed to work together rather than fighting for the same EQ space.

These are only extremely rough guides but it's the principle of it. The biggest mistake you can make (and trust me, this is what we did on Rederrection) is to make each instrument sound fuckin' HUGE by itself and try and blend it together! Bad move - unless you're planning to listen to each bit separately (which you're not!), there's no point in doing that - the important thing is how they all sound together. You'll find that if you solo certain instruments in a well-crafted mix, they'll sound thin or dull or not very powerful... until you combine them with the rest of the song and suddenly they sound huge! That's because the other instruments are filling in the sound and you're hearing it as a certain instrument sounding massive when it's really a combination of sounds (EG: Thin, middy guitars + dull bass = crap solo'd but HUGE sounding guitars in a mix).

Have a look here for a lot of great tips: http://www.studiocovers.com/articles.htm

Anyway, I won't go on! Drop me a line sometime and I'll tell you how to get some drum samples and amp simulation happening! And keep writing that stuff!! :D