New Shardborne Studio Update-Drums -(prog tech)

no offense but tell you drummer to actually hit the fucking drums.
Drums sound weak but have a high potential to sound huge with the right playing to go along with it.

just imo :)

Dont know if its just the video or the bad mix, but they are actualy relatively hard hits,

Its instrumental music as well, so a lot more to be done still.

when you see someone from the top your eyes cant realy see the depth
because of that its looks like his hits are weak

imo you should have record the video in different angle

Camera angles and such werent really a concern when we were tracking, In fact the camera is duck-taped to the ceiling. All of the videos were kind of last minute things so we would have some sort of documented footage for ourselves.

Anyways, heres update 2 from our new EP, this one is some guitar parts from two the songs, just rough mixes again for the videos,
No bass recorded yet, might do an update again when bass is done.

The mix here just has ampsim/digitech guitars, to be reamped at a later stage

Cheers,
Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
I was judging how hard he was hitting by the video :p
No matter what angle the camera is at it still sounds like his "hard hits" are equivalent to medium hits in most sample packs, his plain just sounds weak is all. But because the music is instrumental it might not hurt the mix like I was thinking.
Excited to see where things go with this

Ciaran the moustache'd the guitarist from the vid here. Ben the drummer in the vids is handling the production duties on this, I did our last effort.
I'll fill in some of the gear details!

Mics used on kit are
Snr top Beyer M201
Snr bot Audix I5
kick in Audix D6
Kick out Studio Projects B1( at the end of a tunnel built w/ blankets)
Tom1 Audix D2
Tom 2 Audix D2
Tom 3 Audix D4
Tom 4 Audix F12
Ride Oktaka 012
Hats Oktava 012
China Audix f15
Crash l Audix F15
Crash r/hats r Audix F15
Oh/Room Rode Nt1 and Nt1a
All the drum mics going into a Focusrite saffire interface, all the cymbals going into a Focusrite octopre LE

Guitars used are a Schecter C7 hellraiser 7 string and an Agile Intrepid 8 string. We'll probably use a few other guitars for cleans and leads. We've a few jacksons with floyds for the leads and might use a jap strat for the cleans. Gonna try a few acoustics aswell- got a martin and might be able to borrow a nice taylor, our bassist has a 12 string acoustic which may get used too!
So far its just the Digitech gsp 1011 being used for tones to monitor with. Gonna re-amp later. Got a nice selection of amps to play with. More on that later!

New update on the Shardborne recording we've been doing.

We've finished tracking, re-amping and editing the songs and Ben is in the process of mixing them at the minute.

On guitars we used
Peavey Rockmaster-> Marshall 9100 el34 poweramp
Gsp 1011 using Mesa dual rec sim-> Marshall 9100 el34 poweramp.
Laney Gh50 l
Marshall JCM 800
For cleans/just breaking we used a little 14 watter head my friend built and the GSP.
All the guitars were put through a Harley Benton 2X12 w/ V30's and miced with a single 57 off axis.
Bass was a cheap enough 5 string DI'ed. We'd another nicer bass there but it had some problems with the electrics so unforutnately we couldn't use it.

Ben experimented with summing the tracks on the Hill Audio console we've got in the house but we're probably gonna mix mostly ITB since in the inital tests the cons outweighed the pros. The ITB mix was clearer but more sterile and the mix done on the desk was more together but that little bit too muddy compared to the ITB one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah Shane ,it's my go to amp for the clean/just breaking stuff! Used it over the last few days tracking guitars for an alt rock band. Sounds great and the single tone knob makes it very easy to dial in a tone quickly. Must send you on a few clips on stuff I've used it on- if you ever want anything re-amped through it too just let me know!

Yeah Shane ,it's my go to amp for the clean/just breaking stuff! Used it over the last few days tracking guitars for an alt rock band. Sounds great and the single tone knob makes it very easy to dial in a tone quickly. Must send you on a few clips on stuff I've used it on- if you ever want anything re-amped through it too just let me know!

Aye, brilliant!
I'm just glad the damn thing is getting used. the 18watter is sitting in a corner over here as I've no cab for it yet. I keep telling myself I must get a 1x12 for it some time, but living in a flat means the volume can never be high enough to be satisfying.

How are you finding the "boost" channel? I remember it as being pretty terrible but I'd say it could be useful for some mad fuzzy leads. What kind of cabs are ye using to get the clean tones with the 14watt?

It's nice with the boost, often use it for the slightly crunchy tones- the tone knob has to be kept low in that mode or it gets thin and the gain never really goes over noon either for the same reason. I usually record with the V30 loaded harley Benton but I use it with my Marshall 425a greenback loaded cab for one bands stuff. The handy thing with the 14watter is that you stick it on and know pretty much straight away if it'll suit.

We've just had this mastered today by Richard Dowling at WAV mastering. ( Carcass, Entombed, Napalm Death, Kylie Minogue!). He's an excellent mastering engineer and his place is great- Manley Slam, Shadow Hills comp, the works! He happens to live a couple of blocks away from us too so whenever I bring him a project we get to sit in on the session.
Getting a slight revision of one of the tracks done and sending it off to the printers tomorrow!

Here's a link to one of the tracks from it.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7495143/02 Deimos.wav
Here's the cover!
Shardborne%20Art%20cover.jpg