New shitty mix for everyone to rip to shreds...

xMannequiNx

Mar 29, 2009
Hey guys. For anyone interested in bashing a very poor mix this is your thread :)

http://codingrockets.com/stuff/studio/Bounce1.mp3

Guitars = TSS -> soloC -> catharsis impulses -> compression/eq/harmonic exciser
Bass = direct -> comp/eq/limiting
Drums are obviously sampled, with Sneap's chimera samples, overheads are 2 sm57s XY into firestudio (yeah I know shut up) -> comp/eq
Absence of vox is because they were so shitty I have to have the singer come back in to redo them. There is a small portion of singing vox that I decided to keep that have comp/eq/verb on them.

I'm having a really hard time making this pop. Nothing is really powerful enough. And also the mix is super super muddy and I really need some help with that.

this was mainly a song for me to practice mixing, which is why I didn't worry about those timing issues.

But I didn't find them to be too bad...just at the beggining 30 seconds theres some rushing and then slowing down

I'm having a really hard time making this pop. Nothing is really powerful enough. And also the mix is super super muddy and I really need some help with that.

i think you're having a hard time making this 'pop' because of the timing issue. your transients are all over the place and nothing is locking together well enough to have some solid punch.

it's all about the transients my friend...

besides the timing and stuff...i think this track has a lot of potential..idk what advice to give you, but keep tweaking it because it doesnt sound bad at all:)

just realized this...were using almost the same exact plugins, and gear (i.e chamaira samples, tss, catharsis, soloc, and so on) haha

which DAW are you using? you may have to give me some tips

I found the timing issues made the song really hard to follow. If it was tighter (mainly the drums) you would have a much more fun mixing it, and probably get the punchiness it's lacking. I think everything sounds ok, so maybe try tracking it again, possibly to a click track.

Lets say we ignore these damn timing errors how can this mix be improved? When I say "pop" i mean more like sounding professional like it came from a good studio (again, ignoring the timing...please)

I'm sorry but I can't fix the timing because I don't have the click track to this song anymore.

just realized this...were using almost the same exact plugins, and gear (i.e chamaira samples, tss, catharsis, soloc, and so on) haha

which DAW are you using? you may have to give me some tips

I'm using protools, with mainly protools plugs and psp vintagewarmer. Mastered with ozone.

I could probably fix the timing by recreating a click and then bouncing the drums as midi and then quantisizing. Does anyone know how to do this in protools (equivalent to audio to score in logic)

If it's not tight it doesn't pop. :)

If you want to have a powerful mix, everything needs to be tight.

If it's not tight it doesn't pop. :)

If you want to have a powerful mix, everything needs to be tight.

+1. you can't have one without the other bro. stuff that comes out of a 'professional studio' is more often than not fairly 'tight'.

sorry, but that's lifeee

Ignoring timing issues, no can do. you can't sit everything well in the mix sonically if in time they are not, as everyone said, it'll never have that punchiness or "pop" as you call it.

other than that, not bad at all, but I dislike the drum sound, it's way too huge for my likings, kick drum sound is kind of annoying, snare lacks some punch and overheads are over the place. Guitars and bass, good stuff IMO