New singer in Nightwish (Floor Jansen)

I liked Anette voice, better than tarja but I hate operatic shit. But Annette singing live was not good enough. I saw the other day a live concert and she was often out of tune.

Floor Jansen it´s a quite a good replacement.

Tarja, to big alto voice. Didn't really like her but she did bring uniqueness to their sound. Anette was boring as hell, really poor pronunciation and sounded like 1000x other girls.

That new girl though.. Judging from the clips she sounds excellent, a bit more Soprano voice, clean as hell and a nice balance between classical and "normal" voice. Me like

While I'll readily admit to preferring Floor Jansen over both Tarja and Annette (probably because I've never been a Nightwish fan), I hope she continues with her ReVamp stuff rather than joining Nightwish as a permanent replacement. Always liked her in After Forever and her stuff with ReVamp is better than Nightwish at least for what I'm looking for from female fronted metal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wtf, how did I miss such news ?

I think annete was awkward too. This one sounds very promising ! I like that she sounds a bit more like Tarja, without being an ersatz. I think it's a better move for nightwish not to try too much to avoid a Tarja-like singer, that was their signature sound.

EDIT : holy shit, just realized she's originally from After Forever ! No surprise then, I found her very very good by then, I just never took the time to dig in this band. I found her very convincing in the live videos I found back in the days of after forever.

Checked out some other clips with her other band. Damn!!! She can even growl kind'a. Really cool. And I, liked i said before is more of a fan of that Soprano voice then dark alto voices. Could be kickass!

I never liked that woofy opera type of singing that sounds like yawning. I wish they'd let her sing with power but knowing the taste(lessness) of that synth player it won't be happening. :) But hey!!! I'm happy they found a vocalisti without a strong accent. :)

I never liked that woofy opera type of singing that sounds like yawning. I wish they'd let her sing with power but knowing the taste(lessness) of that synth player it won't be happening. :) But hey!!! I'm happy they found a vocalisti without a strong accent. :)

To me, that's what Floor brings to any band - over the years she has lessened the opera vocalizations and increased her overall powerful singing voice. On the last After Forever album it really showed. While they definitely took the album single Energize Me in a commercial direction, her voice on the entire album sucked me in big time.

And her studio work with her new band:

I'd probably go as far as to say she is my favorite female metal singer of that type. While I mentioned several other female lead singers that I like in metal more of the traditional metal variety like Veronica Freeman of Benedictum, and Leather Leone of the old David Chastain band Chastain, they are more in the vein of female version of Dio or Dickenson. While I'm also a fan of Angela Gassow's work with Arch Enemy - were talking apples and oranges when we get into those comparisons.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last after forever album was great but this revamp band sounds a bit like epica, the riffs are heavy and the classic shit are well done but the riffs are not memorable.