New Sonata Arctica -UNIA

Dec 3, 2004
Arizona, USA
www.ryanseek.com
I've never been a huge Sonata Arctica fan, but this new album is different. Gone is the typical Euro-power metal tempo, replaced with some rather excellent songwriting that idles somewhere in the mid-tempo vein. There are plenty of up-tempo sections of songs, so it's not like they've wimped out, but I'm sure SA traditionalists are screaming bloody murder because of the complete absence of the standard double-bass drumming.

I love it! I never liked repetitive double-bass drumming anyway. The songwriting is key here. Totally awesome, totally old school. It's got just enough prog to make it interesting (aka Savatage) while retaining its metal edge throughout, except for a few ballad moments (which I always felt SA was best at).

I hear influences ranging from Therion and Devin Townsend, to Star One (Ayreon) and Kansas. It's a diverse album, especially considering their past catalogue. Don't pass this one off as just another Sonata Arctica album.

It's a definite top-10 of 2007 contender for me.

That's cool, both Stratovarius and Sonata going away from the boring typical uptempo Euro-Power. I hope all others will follow !!

Melodic Prog Power is what i call 'em. Both Reckoning Night and Unia are killer albums, much better than the generic Ecliptica and Silence.

Sorry, I haven´t agreed with any of you. I don´t like too much euro "happy" metal but, in my opinion, "ECliptica" is one of the few amazing albums in that subgenre. However. I consider since then Sonata Arctica didn´t record anything good. Well, in every album I can listen a couple of ok songs but, for me, nothing more.

I listened "Unia" and i talked with Tony Kakko last week when he and keyboard player were in Madrid for promotional tour. I think they have dared in this new album. "Unia" (like Transiberian Outcast) said is quite different to the their previous career. I like a lot "For the sake of revenge" and even "In black and white" but overall, I´m not too much into "Unia". It didn´t hook me.

However, maybe I´m suggested ´cause every time I saw Sonata Arctica live (5 times) it has been a shame. Drunk, not hitting the note, Tony singing much worse than in studio...

TSO, I gotta give you props man, I'm really digging this album. I couldn't get into their past material, but this is very good.

I was in the same boat, my friend. But I read enough controversial reviews/discussions that I knew this wasn't your daddy's Sonata. Once I heard it, I knew I better make a stink about it or more people would miss it simply because it's Sonata Arctica and they aren't a fan of the band.

Hopefully more people will give it a chance. It sure is a brilliant album. Right up my alley as a Savatage fan. :headbang:

I hope there are more involving tracks than the single "Paid in full". I've given it two listens (with a few more to come) and so far it hasn't really done much for me. I welcome any change into the "prog" realm that SA take, their old sound didn't have much life left in it IMO, but the single (all that I've heard from the new album) really lacks the hooks of the old SA material. I hope it grows on me and the album isn't a dissapointment.