axemaiden

makes you eat dead things
Aug 21, 2007
grendel's mothers cave
Sonata Arctica –Unia
Nuclear Blast - NB 1854-2 –May 18th 2007
By Axemaiden

SoA.jpg

Anyone who has never experienced Sonata Arctica before is likely to be impressed by their musical background. Formed over a decade ago in a small town in Finland, their particular blend of melodic power metal made them gain fans extremely quickly and resulted in a lucky chance to tour with Nightwish which put their names on the musical map, so to speak.

Unia is their latest album release and doesn’t disappoint in comparison with their former releases. I’ve been a fan of their music for a long time and this album does indeed push them in new directions out of the “melodic power metal” bracket, you can hear strong influences from much heavier bands for example Paradise Lost and even a hint of Cradle of Filth but the innovative guitar techniques break them into interesting territory which is more reminiscent of Satriani or Mattias Eklundh. You’ll understand if you listen to the guitar solo on the track ‘In Black and White’.

There are a couple of tracks which didn’t really impress me a great deal, they were good but I didn’t find them particularly overwhelming, for example ‘Under Your Tree’ wasn’t hugely interesting musically speaking, but on the whole the album is very impressive with the band members stretching themselves to a higher musical capacity, especially regarding keyboards, vocals and guitar work. It would have been nicer to hear a bit more unusual and innovative drum and bass work however as the musicians are very talented but seem to be used as background only for many tracks. The production on Unia is outstanding however and has obviously had a lot of care and thought put into it, resulting in a rich and multi layered album which is a joy to listen to. It is definitely worth buying.

Official Sonata Arctica Website
Official Nuclear Blast Website

i was dissapointed by this one. it sounded bland and weak. silence was much better

great breakdown though. the "melodic power metal" tag is right on.
~gR~

Absolute commercial drivel, lacking the fire necessary to be called "heavy metal". A pop "sheep" in metal "wolf" clothing...

ha! see, I don't agree with either of you, its definitely more subtle than some of their earlier work, but its the kind of album that grows and grows on you the more you listen to it! cheers genocide roach for your compliment, it made me smile ;)

This album definitely grows on you. I've loved this band for years now, and the first 4 or 5 times I listened to this album, I was nearly disappointed... after letting it grow on me, I think it's their most impressive album yet. Brilliant.

There's a LOT of melody and rhythm going on that doesn't really hook you until you give yourself a chance to wrap your head around it, but once you do, you'll be very pleased.

This album is in no way commercial... I mean, it's very progressive. Maybe a few tracks are radio-friendly, but using the argument that "This is poppy, it's not metal enough to be called metal!" is stupid - music is music. You either take a particular piece of music for what it is, or you can bitch about how it's not "true metal" or whatever.

It's got a couple gems, and a bunch of turds... They should sell it at walmart. :D

The band experienced some emotional turmoil during the recording of Unia songs and I think it damaged their usual passion of performance. I still think that Unia is a great album. Now that Jani is out of the band, Sonata Arctica will most likely take some unusual turns in the direction of their music. I am looking forward to the future of Sonata Arctica. Tony Kakko is a great song writer and musician. He will always continue to do great things.

I just popped this on again today after not hearing it since posting in here previously. I'd have to say it's good for sporadic listens. :D

i was pretty disappointed with this album....i was pretty hyped up to hear new SONATA but it wasn't as good as i expected....better luck next time guys