axemaiden

makes you eat dead things
Aug 21, 2007
grendel's mothers cave
Tortuga – Kings of Albany
In At The Deep End Records – 10 November 2008
By Axemaiden

iatde041.jpg

Kings of Albany is the debut album from the Norwich-based self-confessed ‘troupe of miserablists’ Tortuga. Although cynical and aggressive ‘post-hardcore, noise and doom’ isn’t my particularly favourite genre of music, I do have quite a soft spot for Tortuga, mainly due to their depressive, yet brutal lyrical honesty and their ability to remain realistically humorous regarding their music and their attitudes to the world around them.

Kings of Albany has quite a strong Black Sabbath influence in places, although with a much heavier, more chaotic and more melancholy feel to it, especially on track one, ‘The Lachrymose’ and four, ‘Somethingness’, but there are also a couple of tracks, especially ‘Somethingness’ and ‘Nothingness’ which remind me of some of the darker and more contemplative Danzig songs, for example ‘Sadistikal’.

To be honest I think that Kings of Albany is an extremely promising album, it definitely needs more work in places, for instance production on the vocals, but I don’t think Tortuga would suit a particularly over-polished sound anyway. Generally however, the album is a refreshing and honest portrayal of this group and if you are a fan of this genre of music then they are definitely worth keeping an ear out for.

Official Tortuga Website
Official Tortuga Myspace
Official In At The Deep End Records Website