New Song From Album done I think? THRASH!

ESPJL5150

Dec 18, 2007
Chicago, IL
www.myspace.com
Sounds pretty badass. There are some tasty riffs in there. Reminds me a bit of Death. The recording sounds pretty damn good. I'm sure there are some tweaks here and there that could be made, but overall it sounds pretty damn good. And are those live drums? If so, good recording job. If not, then you fooled me.

The main tweak I could suggest is, the bass guitar is pretty buried in the mix. The only time I heard it come across was during that part that begins at about 2:20. Before and after that riff, I couldn't hear the bass guitar.

And that polyrhythm that starts at about 3:15 is pretty damn cool.

Thanks man the positive feedback is always good to hear the song is appreciated! Yes Chuck is a big influence of mine! The drums are mix between live and samples from AD, the kick is my own tasty receipe! I always have problems with the bass and the vox though is there any eq tips for this or comp. or special plugins? Thanks man!

Yeah drums sound killer, and I usually hate AD drums, so extra points ;p

Guitars could come up a touch when there aren't any vocals. Vocals could come up a tad, they sound kinda dull too, in comparison to the rest of the mix.

I can hear the bass fairly well but its only in the lows. Try adding some lowmids and mids to it.

Also theres a bit of pumping going on I think in the double bass drum bits.

Im using AD with the Retro expansion those toms are godlike blended with real or on there own! How can i fix that vocal problem though, i was thinking of having him redo it! Don't know about that pumping on the double bass will try and fix it though and thanks for the feedback! And this mix has also NOT BEEN MASTERED YET!

sounds pretty good, but it sounds like the song should be 15-20bpm faster.
The vocals bug me. But i detect a hint of Tom Arraya in there, so maybe he should try easing back on the screaming and go for a yelling approach?

-Sigurd-

Thanks man the positive feedback is always good to hear the song is appreciated! Yes Chuck is a big influence of mine! The drums are mix between live and samples from AD, the kick is my own tasty receipe! I always have problems with the bass and the vox though is there any eq tips for this or comp. or special plugins? Thanks man!

With the bass and vox, those are tough ones to get to sound good. You can have a bass track that sounds killer when solo'd, but disappears in the mix. I can offer some advice, but keep in mind, I'm not an expert like Andy. I'm just a non-pro guy doing his best.

With bass, sometimes a compressor can help smooth out the track and give a more consistent attack, so you can turn it up in the mix a bit without getting any extra loud peaks, but don't overdo it. Music these days it too overcompressed as it is. Also, a little EQ can go a long way. You can usually high-pass the bass without any ill effects, somewhere around 40-50Hz. This can sometimes free up some sonic energy to get the bass up in the mix too. And sometimes a little boost in the mids won't really help the sound when solo'd, but in the mix it will make it jump a little more. This all depends on the characteristics of your bass and guitar sounds.

And vocals, they are a lot more difficult. The compressor can sometimes help vocals in the same way as the bass, but I find it more helpful to just manually level out different sections and types of delivery to get them close to the same level. I like old school stuff where they use a nice reverb along with some delay and stuff, but the modern sound is a lot more dry. This all depends on what you're going for. For vocals, getting a quality take to begin with seems to be one of the biggest keys to a good end result.

I don't mix a lot of vocals. I've been in two bands and recorded our albums and got to work on stuff with vocals then, and a couple of random projects since then, but my solo stuff is all instrumental, so my experience with vocals is somewhat limited.

In my last band, I recorded my vocalist in my closet-turned treated vocal booth which actually worked rather well, suprisingly. I used an MXL condensor running into a Behringer tube preamp, and into my Layla 3G. The MXL and the Behringer aren't the best things money can buy, not by a long shot, but they are still quite good, and I actually got some outstanding tracks that took next to nothing to fit into a mix.

Keep working on your vocal tracks until you feel like they work, and if you can't seem to get them sounding right, it might be time to go back to the drawing board and re-evaluate how you record them. Sometimes starting over on a project, or a particular element is a good thing.

Your stuff sounds quite good already though, so it's a matter of incremental improvements at this point. Good luck.

It sounds killer!!!The drums are awesome!!!I'm interested about the guitar tone very much.I'm recording something similar with a band so any help will be great.Could you post what you've used for guitars?(settings or screenshots if that's possible)Sorry for my bad English.Tnx!

Matthias King thanks for the input man! I'm going to try some bass tweaks and see what i can do with it and try the compression with different settings! Im planning on having my singer redo the vocals period! And to thefrogotten:

The guitars were recorded with a Peavey 6505+ amp head using the preamp out direct into a preamp on my Focusrite 26i/o! I used Kefir for the impulse VST. With a mesa boogie impulse i found on gearslutz i believe but i edited the file! Then i high passed the lows at aroudn 83khz and highs at 4.67 hz! Then i used a TLS saturated driver (nice free plugin) on the warming setting with more drive! Guitars were double tracked one split left the one right but the TLS driver goes on the guitar buss to thicken and warm the sound of the guitar tracks, if you need anymore help just ask!

6505+ settings: PRE at 7 Low at 6 mid at 6 highs at 7 post cunt hair below 1. Presence and Resonance do not matter!

Thanks again guys, and i will be posting some more stuff very soon! Album is due out July 18th! check our myspace at
http://www.myspace.com/labeledband i am the bald guy Jeff!

That's why guitars sounded AWESOME!!!Sorry I can't afford that for now.For now I can afford only some of the free amp simulators(Nick Crow's 7170,TSS,Boogex)Anyone interested to get this tone with resources I have?.Tnx!!!

Also theforgotten if you download the Revalver MKIII demo from Peavey you might just find your way to some tonage like what you want! Cause the VST has a 6505+ model in it! Anyway thanks for the comments guys it's greatly appreciated!