new song - I need some opinions by people with "fresh" ears...

FuryG

New Metal Member
Sep 28, 2004
Hey dudes! Here's a song that I worked on for the last couple of days... Just need some general opinions if the sound and the general mixis any good. I've not that much experience with recording and mixing, so every comment is highly appreciated!

here's the link: song1mix1

I used a Boss GT-6 with the integrated MesaBoogie Simulation -> to soundcard via SPDIF -> Steinberg Warp -> Waves GTR Guitar Tool Rack -> some heavy EQ-ing with Waves Q10

sounds pretty decent so far. the drums need some serious work though. they just sound too plastic. they might even be too busy perhaps. and the snare sounds too rigid on the fills...maybe some velocity variances between hits would help. or a different snare sample altogether.

the guitars sound really good, although slightly beefless. damn good for a direct recording though!

interesting song structure and differences in styles from section to section, have to say I admire that.

what did you use for the drums?

btw the right channel seems to be lacking guitars..at least to me.

production is great though it needs some bass, since its kinda "technical" it would really ace if u added a little "technical" bass if u know whut i mean ;) , but anyways it sounds great from my point of view and pretty socking that such a sound can be aquired from using such a simple technique like the way u mentioned earlier, anyways carrier flux u mentioned that the saner was too rigid and that it needed some velocity change during the continous playback, well ive been suffering of such a problem and was wondering do u usually manually change the velocity (i did try that but it took a shitload of wasted time) or is there a software of a plug-in to aid in such a thing, by the way i did notice that the right channel is a bit lacking but i think he left some of the solos to be mostly panned to the right or atleast thats whut i think :), anwyas nice music too furyG

cheers

Doom Monk said:
production is great though it needs some bass, since its kinda "technical" it would really ace if u added a little "technical" bass if u know whut i mean ;) , but anyways it sounds great from my point of view and pretty socking that such a sound can be aquired from using such a simple technique like the way u mentioned earlier, anyways carrier flux u mentioned that the saner was too rigid and that it needed some velocity change during the continous playback, well ive been suffering of such a problem and was wondering do u usually manually change the velocity (i did try that but it took a shitload of wasted time) or is there a software of a plug-in to aid in such a thing, by the way i did notice that the right channel is a bit lacking but i think he left some of the solos to be mostly panned to the right or atleast thats whut i think :), anwyas nice music too furyG

cheers
I do it manually in sonar. I do a ton of velocity alterations. my keystrokes go like this:

right click > tab twice > random number between 1 and 127 > enter > play > [listen] > stop > right click...repeat... (just giving an example of how many keystrokes it is per note)

yeah it takes some time. and I do it for pretty much every instrument but the kick. especially highhats, rides and snares. you need a lot of variation to keep them from sounding too robotic. there are some midi .cals out there for cakewalk that will randomize things but they're kind of funky, and I don't know what exists for other hosts. once you get in the habbit of doing this it becomes second nature though, and you'll feel less like it's a waste of time.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, or if I'm just imagining it.. but the stereo seperation feels a little weird? Did you maybe mess with phase, or use one of those stereo expanding mastering tools or something?

Moonlapse said:
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, or if I'm just imagining it.. but the stereo seperation feels a little weird? Did you maybe mess with phase, or use one of those stereo expanding mastering tools or something?

that's the first thing that struck me as odd as well...

Moonlapse said:

no, didn't do anything regarding the stereo image...

I uploaded a new version (added a solo at around 2:18 - any thoughts on the guitar tone there? I used the GT-6's integrated 5150-Simulation).

I also tried to add ab it more lowend and to make the bass a bit more audible...

concerning the drums, I want them to sound kinda "machine-like"...

song1mix2

Carrier Flux said:
I do it manually in sonar. I do a ton of velocity alterations. my keystrokes go like this:

right click > tab twice > random number between 1 and 127 > enter > play > [listen] > stop > right click...repeat... (just giving an example of how many keystrokes it is per note)

yeah it takes some time. and I do it for pretty much every instrument but the kick. especially highhats, rides and snares. you need a lot of variation to keep them from sounding too robotic. there are some midi .cals out there for cakewalk that will randomize things but they're kind of funky, and I don't know what exists for other hosts. once you get in the habbit of doing this it becomes second nature though, and you'll feel less like it's a waste of time.

thats nice to know i must try that...but i also use sonar and came up with soemthing else, i multiplied the same snare sample i have into 3 other samples but i placed them each in a different pad on my controller then later on i add different velocities to each snare and then play then randomly along the song but still on blast beat parts it still kinda sounds a bit machinish, butt hen again i havnt do do the same to the rest of the pieces on the kit but thats because snares r most annoying :)

cheers

Doom Monk said:
thats nice to know i must try that...but i also use sonar and came up with soemthing else, i multiplied the same snare sample i have into 3 other samples but i placed them each in a different pad on my controller then later on i add different velocities to each snare and then play then randomly along the song but still on blast beat parts it still kinda sounds a bit machinish, butt hen again i havnt do do the same to the rest of the pieces on the kit but thats because snares r most annoying :)

cheers
one thing I do on snares during blasts is bring their velocity down globally [in the blast section anyway] so they're barely audible, kind of like how a real drummer's snare gets quiet when they're blasting. and when you do this you don't need as much variation because you can barely hear the snare anyway ;) you also might need to play with the the threshhold of your compressor on your snare track so that the blasting snares don't get too loud.

ur totally right :), after really listening to a few "blasting" bands i noticed the snare's overall volume is kinda low and somehow the ride bell or the hi-hat seems louder then the snare....cool tip thanks again ;)

cheers