New song in progress with vocals - how's the sound?

Good work man. Sounds nice.

Just wondering, what happened to those bass tones you used to do where it was just grinding down the center? I thought that was one of the most appealing elements of your old work.

I could be imagining things, but the lead vocal sounds like it's a bit rich in telephonic mids. Check around 1kHz? You got some fizzle spikes on the rhythms which could be eating into vocal space and un-CLAing the mix. You can gain some vox and ambiance clarity by taming those, but you'll lose aggression on the rhythm tone.

EDIT: I think the cymbals could be a bit heavy around the 4-6kHz area? The mix sounds bright in a somewhat harsh way, rather than airy and lush.

Ermz, as always, thank you so much for the analysis. You're pretty much spot on on everything you stated after listening to the mix again. I'm sure I can rectify most of those issues. The bass grind comment really shed some light on this last version. It's totally absent in comparison to the very first rough draft I made while we were writing the song. The bass was very front and center on that and I must have unknowingly tucked it back further and further as I added more instruments over the top. It's so easy to get carried away getting those guitars front and center when they are the last thing you record. I'm going to try and balance the bass grind and guitars out, letting each one be showcased for different parts.

I have nothing to offer except that this sounds absolutely brilliant and I love the song too. I suppose a bit grindier bass wouldn't hurt (as already pointed out), but I really like it as it is even so. Oh, and you just inspired me to drop $100 on Allaire. Any updates? I wanna hear the whole song!