First mix with the TSX X30 amp sim

matt i love that tone! had fiddled around with the x30 and got some very digital sounding results...

i so much love how you share all your settings with everyone! really cool, dude! ;-)!

Ok boys, here's the settings.

Mixer settings

Guitars 1 and 4 panned 100% L and R (Recabinet impulse) I used Gearbox for the Vetta compressor to drive the X30 a little harder.

Guitars 2 and 3 panned 80% L and R (Catharsis Impulse) No Gearbox compressor to drive these guitars

Curve EQ Preset I captured the direct output from my Peavey Rockmaster so I could get the X30 to sound like it)

Here's an audio sample of how the guitars sound on their own. Only processing was HP LP at 60 and 12000.
Sample

:loco:

Wow really nice mix

I've heard this song before, I guess you posted a mix of it before. I remember because the vocals in the chorus really reminded me of James Maynard's voice, really good vocals (and the guitar is great as well, I like mix no.2 the best)

Thanks again for all the comments. I hope I get to everyone with questions in these responses below:

This sounds great. Congrats. The bass is real? I like it a lot.

By real, I guess you mean real amp or sim? Its my Fender P Bass reamped with a PODX3 into 2 separate Line 6 Gearbox VST patches. One track for bass body, one high passed at 800hz and low passed at 2500k for bass distortion. No other compression or anything was added this time.

this sounds dirty man
good job! :kickass:

how did you record the bass?

See post above ^

Matt, sorry I'm appallingly late to this, but this sounds fantastic as always dude, both musically and production(-ally? :D). That snare is popping like hell and is so full, absolutely spectacular, and I LOVE those chimey clean guitars, and of course the bass as well. However, now that the distorted guitars just came in, they're a bit too loud IMO, and honestly I don't feel the Engl character works very well for your style of music, just too dry and grainy (best for more extreme styles IMO). And damn, heavy Maynard vibes from your singer in the heavy spots, you found a good one I'd say!

Thanks so much Metaltastic! Thanks for the input on the distorted guitars. After a few listens in my car, I did notice the guitars were not sitting in the mix as much as I would like, especially after just picking up the new Katatonia CD :OMG:

Thanks dude, that's very kind ;) ...what about the backing track without the distorted guitars :D

That request may not materialize quite yet, sorry! :)

He basically removed most of that character when he CurveEQ'd it to sound as his Peavey Rockmaster IMO :p
Awesome mix/song anyway .. hehe

Indeed, the curve Eq patch does change the sound quite a bit!

what was the chain for the vocals?

The mic was a dynamic EV ND767A into a PODX3. Minimal EQ into Antress 1176 clone compressor then into a desser.

That's a shame man. I thought the tone on the track you had up for mastering was the most crushing one you ever got (after some master-tweaking anyway :)).

You had better use the amp for the reamp project I'm sending your way though!!! :lol:

LOL! Yeah, I like the tone I got from the Rockmaster on the song Both Sides. I tried using the Rockmaster tracks on this song, and it sounded like mud. A lot of it was because I used my Ibanez on Both Sides and my Fender Squier on this song, and the Ibanez sounds 1,000 times better. Plus I hate spending the time to reamp 4 separate tracks only to find that I had them slightly overgained or something like that. With the VST sims, I can adjust all 4 guitars in real time and hear the result which is a major plus as far as my sanity is concerned. Plus, my wife would kick my ass out of the house if I kept reamping through the real amp over and over again!

@everyone : I can't open the curve eq file in voxengo curve eq... the extension file is .vstpreset

@splatt : Can you post something about mastering chain / settings ?

An easier way to read it Nuno, but it means the same ;)

My bad! I read it fast and I thought he was asking for the settings.

It´s a real bass and not a Vsti, that was I wanted to know. As expected, to have such a good sound with a vsti would be much harder. Thanks Splat.

Just wanted to mention real quick. My impression when listening to the rhythm guitars by themselves is that they may have a bit too much uncontrolled low-end rumble. That may be your trip for this track, but if you don't mind me interjecting, i think cutting some of that back and letting the bass guitar take dominance will give you a fatter mix in the end.

Also the overall thing just seems to be lacking a little bit of glue. It's an ITB thing. I usually have a gentle compressor or saturator on the end (in fact the latter worked wonders on your 'Both Sides' track) in order to bring the transients together a bit. Unfortunately in digital land we don't have the transient-soaking bus capabilities of actual desks unless we actively put some dynamics control in there.

I've always felt that your tracks benefit a lot from some more analogue. The real guitars on Both Sides, along with running the whole mix out to the GSSL did great things for it IMO.

Just wanted to mention real quick. My impression when listening to the rhythm guitars by themselves is that they may have a bit too much uncontrolled low-end rumble. That may be your trip for this track, but if you don't mind me interjecting, i think cutting some of that back and letting the bass guitar take dominance will give you a fatter mix in the end.

Also the overall thing just seems to be lacking a little bit of glue. It's an ITB thing. I usually have a gentle compressor or saturator on the end (in fact the latter worked wonders on your 'Both Sides' track) in order to bring the transients together a bit. Unfortunately in digital land we don't have the transient-soaking bus capabilities of actual desks unless we actively put some dynamics control in there. Mix is also less hot, which helps things out a bit.

I've always felt that your tracks benefit a lot from some more analogue. The real guitars on Both Sides, along with running the whole mix out to the GSSL did great things for it IMO.

Thanks so much for the great feedback Ermz. I seem to achieve better results when I take your advice and apply it constructively. I do struggle with the decision of rolling off more rumble from the guitars in order to gel better with the bass. I love really powerful and deep guitar tones, but sometimes its best to let the bass do its job so I'll have to play around with that. About the mix glue, that's one thing I always struggle with as well. The last version I posted had a clipper instead of a limiter for volume maximizing, and that may be causing some of the hard transients poking around a bit. I just did another master where I removed all EQ, softened the compressor attack, and used a limiter with no clipper and it glues a little more. If you don't mind, take a listen: I also added the link to the start of the thread - (4th version)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/868701/Sneap/Clouds%20at%204%20Stems%2012.mp3

I asked something and no one answers me...

I can't try the curve eq preset that splatt put in this thread with voxengo curve eq... don't know how to use it...

can someone explain me how to do please ???

I asked something and no one answers me...

I can't try the curve eq preset that splatt put in this thread with voxengo curve eq... don't know how to use it...

can someone explain me how to do please ???

USEFUL LINKS / FAQ. PLEASE READ!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
•How do I use the Search function? The search function in Ultimate Metal is not very effective as short terms are not allowed. So before asking something (that has more than likely been asked 15 times before), please go to Google, enter the text you're searching for and copy/paste this:

Quote:
site:http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap OR site:http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/sabbat OR site:http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment OR site:http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips OR site:http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/sneap-produced-albums OR site:http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/rate-my-mix-tone-threads OR site:http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/off-topic-tavern

You're welcome.

Oh, I really love this as I love everything else you have done. I fail with this sim (haven't yet discovered how I use it with my mixes) but you sir have done well. Well done! And yes, your mixes are almost professional. The songs...don't ever ask. Would you ever try harder? ...oh, I guess you would. And that's the greatest thing in this.
You really try. And you create diamonds. You are "humble"...It feels like You're not a person that does "ask" too much or do take too much "credit" from anything. I'm grateful for that.

And I won't even begin with the singer.

Splatt88, you´re not only one of the best producers on this forum, but also, by far, the coolest one when it comes to sharing patches, settings, presets, info and techniques. Thank you very much.

Are you using the PODx3's "normal" or "pad" instrument input? And for the bass?
Are you using the PODx3 as the soundcard though USB? The vox chains hardware is just the mic to the PODx3 and the rest is all software (no 'outboard' pre)? Thanks.

I would _love_ to hear Wake darker skies with these settings! ;) (..it's in my top 3 favorite songs)