T(h)rash-Metal Mix (X30, Legion & Co)

osum

Misanthrope
Jun 26, 2011
South Germany
Drums are awesome, but guitars you should try to get them more coherent, the right one is louder they should be at the same volume

guitars are decent, and indeed the right one is louder. Im really loving the drums. Can we have some information on the drums, they sound really nice. For some reason the guitars sound much better on my headphones than on my monitors. But once again the right guitar is louder.

Thx. You're right, I have to redo the guitars, they aren't very great.

Info for the Drums:

Base-Preset is the Frederik Throdendal Metall Setting from Metal Foundey.
The Kick is blendet to 50% with the DespiseIcon Kick (here from the board) and to 20% with the Chris Adler Sacrament Kick (also from here)
Snare is 40% Devil and 20% Chris Adler Sacrament Snare.

/Edit, here's a new version...now all gtrs are x30: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32193848/new-20.08.2011_v2.mp3

mmmm sounds much much better, if i could summarize the mix in one word id say THRASH. If i had to give some criticism id say during the verse it sounds as if the bass is drowning the mix. Could just be me?

"Snare ist 40% Devil und 20% Chris Adler Sacrament Kick." You mixed 20% of a kick into the snare?

Chain:

TSE808->TSE X30->LeCab

Settings:

TSE808:
Drive: 9 o'clock
Tone: 12 o'clock
Volume: 3 o'clock

TSE X30:
Drive: 12 o'clock
Bass: 1 o'clock
Low Mid: 11 o'clock
High Mid: 12 o'clock
Treble: 13 o'clock

LeCab:
On the left 2off-presshigh and on the right ASEM-Recto.

EQ:
HPF at 140hz
LPF at 9000hz
-3db at 350hz

so you used 2 different impulses for left and right guitar? or both impulses mixed together for each rhythm?

Thanks i tried the same guitar chain and wasnt sounding near ur clips (i know were using different guitars) but still wanted to get close to something near urs. The sound i was getting was a bit less "gainy" lack that punch that ur guitar had.... Anyways were u using the latest tse x30 version?

Can i ask the mastering chain u used too :D

X30 ist version 1.6, this is the latest I think.

Mastering change is nothing special, just that:

Untitled.jpg

Hey dude sorry for so many questions lol but i took some screen shots of my guitar chain just to compare with you because with those impulses i cant get that punchy sound that your getting.
Left Guitar:
Left_Gtr.jpg

Right Guitar:
Right_Gtr.jpg

Both those guitars go to a guitar bus were i apply the EQ.
GtrBus.jpg

Is that something like yours? and heres a clip so that you can hear the guitars by themselves.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/728056/clip.mp3

Reason why im so interested is because im trying to get some different sound with other impulses instead of the same ones i use(guitarhacks), but for some reason when i use others they lack that gainy high punch so to me they sound a bit boxy :(

Well sounds already good imho. Btw for all the channels I don't use the StudioEQ VST but the EQ you get with that "e"-Button.
Actually I have 4 guitar tracks (but NO quadtracking in this case)

Panning:

100 - 70 - 70 - 100

Actually I don't like it to push threads but it would be really cool if some of the pros here could give his opinion :)