March Hare - How's this mix coming together?

Right on. Happens to me when mixing records all the time. One of the most stressful things ever. Best thing is to start a mix on one track and then balance it out on a few others until you get the middle ground. Failing that... automate, autromate, automate.

+1

SO stressful but as you go through the songs it all tends to work itself out.

If its the clip I posted without vocals a few months back then I'm surprised you like it so much. To me that version sounds really flubby and boxy, at least on my headphones and I can't bear to listen to it anymore. I'm glad you liked it though!

I loved it too ! :)

Like everyone says, the first "new" mix you posted was great except for the snare, but you got that fixed with the revised version.

I love the vocals you guys added to that song.

Matt - sounds good, but have to agree about the snare... though the second clip is much closer to what you need IMO.

I think my favorite snare tones of yours are the mixes you did for "Lost at Sea" and "WDS". Definitely have a snap, but have body as well.

Otherwise - glad you're working on the album man! :)

Um, okay, I listened on my monitors and that snare sounded completely different through my Sony MDR-7506 headphones, I swear. Here's a mix I just did with my Alesis M1 monitors at very low volume. I think many of you will find the artificial snap of the snare to be gone.............I hope.

New mix without headphones

The snare is definately better IMO, but I think it sounds like the vocals dropped a few dB's or am I wrong?

The snare is definately better IMO, but I think it sounds like the vocals dropped a few dB's or am I wrong?

LOL. Probably. I should have probably listened on the headphones too to see how it sounded first before I posted. Everything sounds pretty balanced and on my loudspeakers, though.

By the way, Onqel, I fucking LOVE the TSE X30, and you deserve much respect for making such a fine plugin. I'm using quad-tracked guitars on this song, 2 instances of TSE X30 and 2 of Gearbox. The main riff on the verse is 4 tracks of TSE X30.

Thank you Splat, it means a lot to me especially since I've been a fan of March Hare before I even thought of getting into the ampsim modeling ;)
Too bad I haven't released anything new yet, it would be fun to be able to throw that gearbox of yours away :saint:

Too bad I haven't released anything new yet, it would be fun to be able to throw that gearbox of yours away :saint:

I concur!

Matt, this sounds INCREDIBLE.

Aside from the mix, the music is unbelievable.

Thanks!

Matt - new snare wins!

Nice! I'm glad I got people's input on this.

<3

Sounds fuckin awesome. Any chance you could give some details on the bass? It sounds huge and blended perfectly

Thanks a lot. Chain is Fender P-Bass, Dimarzio Split P Pickup, 2 instances of Gearbox, one for full spectrum clean bass, and one for distorted bass with low and high pass filters at 3500Hz and 1000Hz respectively.

THIS ROCKS. As a matter of personal preference, I still slightly prefer the snare from February, but still, this new mix sounds fucking stellar. And if you got as close as you did before with the 7506s, you are a far better man than I. I wish my mixes sounded half this good. NEED MORE!

Um, okay, I listened on my monitors and that snare sounded completely different through my Sony MDR-7506 headphones, I swear. Here's a mix I just did with my Alesis M1 monitors at very low volume. I think many of you will find the artificial snap of the snare to be gone.............I hope.

New mix without headphones

annoying snap is definitely gone ! nice work !

I love the song.

Ok, I think I'm done here. I turned up the bass a bit for some more balls, opened up the attack on the bus compressor, and voila, I'm digging this! I hope you gents concur.

Finished mix...........for now

Sounds pretty damn good. Couple things

The guitars/bass could use some tightening at 1:16, the bass is clicking and popping just before the kick/guitar.
The guitars have an amazingly tight lowend.. but the guitars as a whole are too dry/tight. The drums are roomy, the vocals have a lot of delay, the bass blends really nicely but the rhythm guitars seem quite separated. Perhaps a touch of delay? Not usual for rhythm guitars but this isn't exactly straight metal.

^ Agree. I also think some of the layers behind the vocal in the first verse could come down a bit - some of the words are getting a bit smeared on my side. Maybe also a tit hair louder with the snare too, but that's just me.