First mix with the TSX X30 amp sim

Splat - really good - Any thoughts on this sim? Is this a keeper for you, or will you move onto another? Honestly, this is the best mix of C@4 I've heard.

Reason I ask is... my favorite song from you, and probably has become one of my favorites period would be Wake Darker Skies - any thoughts on a remix of that with this sim? And when is your album out - I want to buy it. Like tomorrow. :)

Oh, and Operation Mindcrime is up there dude - I pull that out every once in a while and listen all the way through - MCII was pretty dissappointing though.

Thanks for all the nice comments, folks!

What was the guitar/pickups you used for this? Sorry to ask, I'm sure it has been mentioned.

I used a 1980s Fender HM Squier (looks like an Ibanez RG) with a floyd rose. Its actually a really nice guitar that I've had since 1993. I originally had EMGs in it for years, but for this recording I used a Dimarzio Tone Zone for the distorted guitars. The two single coils I used for the clean guitars are a stock American strat neck pickup I took out of my friend's old guitar and a Seymour Duncan strat replacement in the neck. Both singles are very low output.

Splatt

for your sd2.0, are you using usual patch you made a year's ago on you're esnipsbusinessfiles ?

No its different. There's no effects going on in the S2.0 mixer, all in Cubase. The kit is stock except for the snare, which is the Maple snare (I think) and I set my drum map to only trigger the snare muted hits, not the snare center hits. These samples are much deeper and tighter. I set the tuning of the snare drum to 2.2 in the S2.0 mixer for a little higher toned snap. I've been using very little EQ and comp on my latest mixes, no more that a few dbs here and there with wide Qs.

I'm curious to know about the Cubase's Roomworks verb settings you used on snare

I'm not a Cubase user for now, but I'd like to achieve that kind of magic touch of reverb on snares with TLSpace or maybe Logic Studio's Space Designer (verb on snares is something I never get to sound to my taste. So I'd like to give a try to some different approach

I think any verb would do, really. I do seem to like the Roomworks verb though. I set the verb time at about 1.6 seconds and a predelay of 10ms. I also shave off the tone on the bottom and top end EQ of the verb until the snare hits blend in nicely.

Can you post DI tracks of the distorted guitars? I wanna play too haha :headbang: Also a stereo mixdown of the rest would be nice :heh:
pleeeeaaaase :saint:

Sure, here's the DIs I recorded through my PODX3. They're not the best sounding DIs in the world!
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/868701/Clouds at 4.rar

Splat - really good - Any thoughts on this sim? Is this a keeper for you, or will you move onto another? Honestly, this is the best mix of C@4 I've heard.

Reason I ask is... my favorite song from you, and probably has become one of my favorites period would be Wake Darker Skies - any thoughts on a remix of that with this sim? And when is your album out - I want to buy it. Like tomorrow. :)

Oh, and Operation Mindcrime is up there dude - I pull that out every once in a while and listen all the way through - MCII was pretty dissappointing though.

Yeah, I love this sim. I've already finished Wake Darker Skies with this new sound:loco:. The album is STILL being worked on. I have very little time to work on it anymore, plus I'm still waiting for Matty to finish the vox on Metis. Then it will be done.

Lastly, yes, MCII was not good. Not good at all. Sigh.

Hey Splatt,

Great work as usual.

Any reason you aren't using your Peavey for the final tracks?

Thanks Ermz! Its just a pain to reamp the Peavey with limited time and 2 kids. With the VSTs I can have 4 new guitar tracks in about 90 seconds!

Yeah, I also hoped you would go with the peavey for the final mixes but if you have to go with a sim then I definitely prefer this over the Pod. I played around with it too and I think it's one of the best sims I've used. Sadly, I'm not a big fan of the engl tone in general but it seems to suit your stuff perfectly.
Glad to hear that the album is almost finished, I'm really exited about hearing the whole thing.
Btw, when it's finished how are you planning to release it? You're not signed on a label right?

Thanks Ermz! Its just a pain to reamp the Peavey with limited time and 2 kids. With the VSTs I can have 4 new guitar tracks in about 90 seconds!

That's a shame man. I thought the tone on the track you had up for mastering was the most crushing one you ever got (after some master-tweaking anyway :)).

You had better use the amp for the reamp project I'm sending your way though!!! :lol:

Seriously can't stop listening to this. Fucking amazing dude, seriously get a cd out _now_

Singer is extremely fit for this shit, perfect voice through all of the parts, and surprised me with the screams shit was sick.

Mad epic shit

Man, i love all of your work...but i think your ambience/verb work is amazing!!! Any tips on reverb??

I just listened to this again, and then again.. dude this is a fucking masterpiece! I love the guitar tones on this, and the clean sound is just so clean dude! it really cuts through the mix very well.
Did you add any hi or lo pass to the TSX X30 guitar tracks for this? and what reverb vst did you use for this? the reverb sounds awesome dude, all the reverb plugins I have just muddy the sound!

Matt, sorry I'm appallingly late to this, but this sounds fantastic as always dude, both musically and production(-ally? :D). That snare is popping like hell and is so full, absolutely spectacular, and I LOVE those chimey clean guitars, and of course the bass as well. However, now that the distorted guitars just came in, they're a bit too loud IMO, and honestly I don't feel the Engl character works very well for your style of music, just too dry and grainy (best for more extreme styles IMO). And damn, heavy Maynard vibes from your singer in the heavy spots, you found a good one I'd say!

However, now that the distorted guitars just came in, they're a bit too loud IMO, and honestly I don't feel the Engl character works very well for your style of music, just too dry and grainy (best for more extreme styles IMO).

He basically removed most of that character when he CurveEQ'd it to sound as his Peavey Rockmaster IMO :p
Awesome mix/song anyway .. hehe

I gave your DI's a download as well just to compare how hot it would be a good idea tracking them from my own POD, thanks. :)

Digging the lyrics too.

Ah man, hurry up and finish the album already! :D

He basically removed most of that character when he CurveEQ'd it to sound as his Peavey Rockmaster IMO :p
Awesome mix/song anyway .. hehe

Oh yeah, I guess he did do that - regardless, I'm still going by what I hear, and not trying to rip on your plug or anything dude! (if anything, the reason I'm not that crazy about it is precisely because it sounds so similar to the real e530)

matt i love that tone! had fiddled around with the x30 and got some very digital sounding results...

i so much love how you share all your settings with everyone! really cool, dude! ;-)!