new strings, new bridge?

ESP uses Gotoh, Spertzel, and sometimes TonePros. My best friend has an ESP endorsement and none of his have ever shipped with TonePros stuff. His always have Gotoh bridges and Spertzel locking tuners. And no, Gotoh bridges are not as good as TonePros. They don't even come close. A Gotoh is nothing but a standard TOM knock-off. The TonePros bridges have a patented locking system that no one else can use. What's worse is that TonePros and Gibson make their bridges out of top quality materials, to ensure maximum resonance, sustain and tone (just like a Real Floyd Rose). Gotoh uses cheap "pot metal" in the construction of their bridges and other hardware, which is why they suffer more over time from elements and corrosion (like a "licensed" Floyd Rose).

The only difference between a TonePros bridge and a Gotoh bridge is the holes and allen screws. Pull off your TonePros and tell me what it says on the bottom of it.

The only difference between a TonePros bridge and a Gotoh bridge is the holes and allen screws. Pull off your TonePros and tell me what it says on the bottom of it.

Dude... you're going to have to give me a while on that request. I just put strings on that bad boy 2 days ago. Here is what I DO know. Everyone I've known with Gotoh bridges has has corrosion issues and eventually tuning and intonation issues. All of them have replaced their shit with TonePros, except one friend of mine, who took the whole stop bar, etc. off and installed an old-school Kahler... but he's crazier than a shithouse rat anyway. :lol:

but he's crazier than a shithouse rat anyway. :lol:

Hahahaha, excellent analogy - and just as I did in the sweaty palms thread, I once again nominate my 3 year old (and HEAVILY played through that time) EC-400 as the example of standard (Gotoh I guess) bridge reliability - the thing stays in tune great (it has Grover tuners, which still kick ass, even if they're not the fancypants Sperzel lockers), and the black finish is fully intact on it.

Grovers are awesome man. There's only one thing I've found recently that i like better than Grovers, and that's the Planet Waves Trim Lockers. I have them on both my V's and I'll never use anything else again. Highly recommend them.

I'll save you the hassle of pulling your bridge off: It'll say GOTOH on the bottom, because all a TonePros bridge is is a Gotoh TOM with the TonePros set-screw technology built in.

Actually... no. It doesn't. I remembered that my Black V has a mirrored pick guard, so I went to take a look. My TonePros doesn't say anything on it. No stamping of any kind. So no. It does not say Gotoh. That being said, I know that TonePros has a history of using Gotoh bridges for their "large-pole-pieced, Euro-style" TOM's. However, My guitars are Gibson's which use the smaller Nashville-style poles. Anyway... I did some more research and found some stuff that shot down even some of my points.

1. Apparently, there are NO TOM's made from solid-steel. The process for that kind of part would just be way too costly. All of them, at least the one's we have been talking about, are die-cast from a Zinc Alloy.

2. The corrosion of the bridges that friends of mine have owned must be coincidental. If ALL these bridges are made from the same materials, then ALL of them will corrode the same, depending on how much Acid the oils in your skin contain.

3. Larger string Myth: Definitive, bottom line. Moving to larger strings will NOT cause more breakage. I have personally spent 19 years proving that wrong and it seems as though some others here have spent time doing the same.

4. If you are constantly breaking the same string on your TOM, the most likely scenario is that you have a bur on that particular saddle. Have a PROFESSIONAL sand it out and it should be fine after that.

5. However, if your bridge looks like Emdprodukt's bridge, replacement is advised. :)

Okay I will order a TonePros Bridge but I'm still confused about the size of the bridge... too many options to choose from :)

This should be the right one? (Except for the color...)

http://www.thomann.de/de/tonepros_t3btc_tuneomatic.htm

Actually... no. It doesn't. I remembered that my Black V has a mirrored pick guard, so I went to take a look. My TonePros doesn't say anything on it. No stamping of any kind. So no. It does not say Gotoh. That being said, I know that TonePros has a history of using Gotoh bridges for their "large-pole-pieced, Euro-style" TOM's. However, My guitars are Gibson's which use the smaller Nashville-style poles. Anyway... I did some more research and found some stuff that shot down even some of my points.

1. Apparently, there are NO TOM's made from solid-steel. The process for that kind of part would just be way too costly. All of them, at least the one's we have been talking about, are die-cast from a Zinc Alloy.

2. The corrosion of the bridges that friends of mine have owned must be coincidental. If ALL these bridges are made from the same materials, then ALL of them will corrode the same, depending on how much Acid the oils in your skin contain.

3. Larger string Myth: Definitive, bottom line. Moving to larger strings will NOT cause more breakage. I have personally spent 19 years proving that wrong and it seems as though some others here have spent time doing the same.

4. If you are constantly breaking the same string on your TOM, the most likely scenario is that you have a bur on that particular saddle. Have a PROFESSIONAL sand it out and it should be fine after that.

5. However, if your bridge looks like Emdprodukt's bridge, replacement is advised. :)

Okay I will order a TonePros Bridge but I'm still confused about the size of the bridge... too many options to choose from :)

This should be the right one? (Except for the color...)

http://www.thomann.de/de/tonepros_t3btc_tuneomatic.htm

That's the one man. Just need to order it in black, yeah. Just remember, it seems that it's been revealed that the only reason you'll really want a TonePros is for improved sustain/tone, and the fact that it stays locked in place when you change strings. So, make sure that the extra cash is worth it to you.

This still doesn't support your claim that a TonePros bridge is made of substantially better material than a Gotoh bridge. Why would TonePros shaft the people with large, metric posts, and give a better product to those with the smaller, USA posts?

1. I'm not located in the US and this seller doesn't ship worldwide
2. I don't need a tailpiece because my strings go through the body

thanks anyway dude! to be true I really don't care about the color because my current bridge isn't black anymore. :)

This still doesn't support your claim that a TonePros bridge is made of substantially better material than a Gotoh bridge. Why would TonePros shaft the people with large, metric posts, and give a better product to those with the smaller, USA posts?

If you'll read the rest of that particular post, I already corrected myself as to the build materials of different bridge makers.

Well, considering that i hit my strings just as hard as Zakk him self, and almost never break any strings(Once a month on atleast 5 hours a day.), im pretty sure that its not the strings that is the problem.
Either you are hitting the strings with too much of the pick(So the pick hooks the strings.), or the saddles are going fubar.

Buy som 360-600 sandpapper(Almost as finegritted as toiletpapper), and fold it, and then put it down into the saddle and sand it just a little bit in the front and the back of the saddles(So the edges get nice and smooth).
Ive done this on a couple of guitars ive had problems with breaking strings, and it works really well.

Edit:
And see too it that the sandpaper isnt moist, if it is, it will stick more to the saddle and cause scratches instead.