New Theocracy Album "Ghost Ship" Announced

Erm, I'll agree to disagree with you on Paper Tiger. I see it more as a commentary on the identitarian insanity currently plaguing secular society in general and higher education in particular -- the rise of the "cult of victimhood" and the rush by its adherents to jockey for power and prestige within the SocJus movement. The lyrics are pretty clear-cut. Most astute was the observation that few if any of those who are complaining most loudly about their perceived "injustices" have ever experienced real suffering; they make a great show of their oppression and alienation, and spend most of their time patting each other on their backs while congratulating each other for their bravery and willingness to stand up to TPTB.

The simple reality is that their pampered, comfortable lives spent onine and at university classes can't even begin to compare to the nightmares lived by those overseas who know REAL oppression and isolation. The lyrics inject a much-needed (and intelligent) dose of perspective into a situation that's rapidly reaching critical level right under our noses.

Tell that to African American boys brutalized and killed by cops in the streets whose ancestors were mutilated, castrated, hung on trees and burned alive (while the authorities turned a blind eye) still no more than thirty years ago, women who live in fear because society views their bodies as meat, immigrants who face slander and threat to their lives every day, and persons living in abject poverty who are told that it's their own fault.

America has only ever been America for some. The realities overseas are tied into the very same realities that minorities at home are trying to raise our awareness of, and if you don't think so, you don't know your history. There is no "cult of victimhood." There is a reality of victimhood created by white supremacist capitalist Christian patriarchy around the world. All that white male Christians have to complain about is that they can't push everybody else around quite as much anymore.

But then, false charity and denial of systemic reality has always been the hallmark of Western Christianity. "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." - Dom Helder Camara

Last edited:
Tell that to African American boys brutalized and killed by cops in the streets whose ancestors were mutilated, castrated, hung on trees and burned alive (while the authorities turned a blind eye) still no more than thirty years ago, women who live in fear because society views their bodies as meat, immigrants who face slander and threat to their lives every day, and persons living in abject poverty who are told that it's their own fault.

America has only ever been America for some. The realities overseas are tied into the very same realities that minorities at home are trying to raise our awareness of, and if you don't think so, you don't know your history. There is no "cult of victimhood." There is a reality of victimhood created by white supremacist capitalist Christian patriarchy around the world. All that white male Christians have to complain about is that they can't push everybody else around quite as much anymore.

But then, false charity and denial of systemic reality has always been the hallmark of Western Christianity. "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." - Dom Helder Camara

It's always posts like this, that make me realize how much systematic power I have as a white Christian male, and how I am really slacking in my hereditary tasks of holding other people down and working towards making our power more institutionalized. It also reminds me that I need to update my white privilege card.

Reactions: Aish!
It's always posts like this, that make me realize how much systematic power I have as a white Christian male, and how I am really slacking in my hereditary tasks of holding other people down and working towards making our power more institutionalized. It also reminds me that I need to update my white privilege card.
Sardonically brushing off your privilege is one way of doing just those things, so no worries.

So for the first few listens or so through the album, I've just been jammin to the music and the melodies of the vocals and catching a few lyrics here and there. Yesterday, I actually read the lyrics in the book. Wow, some deep and strong lyrics in these songs.

I've always put Matt up there with his song writing abilities and his lyricism/being able to rhyme his lyrics. He does it better than most rappers. As far as my knowledge of metal, lots of song writers don't rhyme most all of their lyrics. To do it at this level and really say something powerful at the same time is impressive to say the least. He's always been nice with the pen. I mean, even the Christmas songs are great lyrically, lol. But, I'm getting off of my point.

I'm glad yall make the music you do and write the kind of lyrics you/yall write. Even if yall don't get super popular and well known as other bands, and criticized for the kind of lyrics yall write, I'm glad yall stay on this track. That song 'Around The World And Back', the last section that starts with "So many try to qualify". From that point on, all the way to the end, that was some powerful delivery of them lyrics, lol. The whole album (like all the others) was sung great, that's just the latest thing I remember, hahah. Reminded me of the end of 'Absolution Day'.

Also, the sound levels of everything sounds great. To me at least. Good mixing. So yeah, now that I've been letting the album soak in and not riding the wave of the awesome instrumentals and vocals anymore, it just gets better the more I listen to it, and the more I read what he's actually saying. At the same time, I'm trying not to overplay it, hahah.

That being said, the album is aight. 3/10. Lol ^_^ Jokes.. 10/10. Adios!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Vaalwrath
My Ghost Ship CD finally arrived today (two weeks late!) and frustratingly it's taken me 10 hours to listen through.

The songs do feel a bit short and not as proggy as the first three albums, but the booming heaviness is spectacular!!

Congratulations to Matt, Jared, Jonathan, Val and Shawn on maintaining the Theocracy sound, but taking it to a more mature and imposing level. I'm looking forward to falling asleep listening to Ghost Ship again tonight!

My Ghost Ship CD finally arrived today (two weeks late!) and frustratingly it's taken me 10 hours to listen through.

The songs do feel a bit short and not as proggy as the first three albums, but the booming heaviness is spectacular!!

Congratulations to Matt, Jared, Jonathan, Val and Shawn on maintaining the Theocracy sound, but taking it to a more mature and imposing level. I'm looking forward to falling asleep listening to Ghost Ship again tonight!

Glad you were finally able to get the album! So, I am betting it was worth the wait!

I know. I don't have a favorite yet either. It is so solid from beginning through the end! And I don't think it is possible to listen to it too much. ;)

Has anyone else ever picked up the Japan Edition of Ghost Ship? After looking closer at my own copy, I realize that, except for the OBI strip, it is identical to the regular edition. No additional Japanese liner notes/lyric sheet, which I find to be rather curious. It's as if someone just attached an OBI strip to a regular edition of the album. Though the OBI is a full-sized one and has an interview on the inside... Otherwise, though... Rather disappointing... And not just because there were no additional bonus tracks on it. :(

Have to say, man. This album is growing on me even more, lol. I've always liked it since day one, but, somehow I'm appreciating all the songs even more. Especially 'Easter'. The last song on each of the four albums are/were great choices and really good finishers.

At my job, I work in the back and I can use a bluetooth speaker to listen to music, and lately, I've had the Theocracy albums playing. I'm happy a remastered version of the first album was made. Shawn killed it on the drums, and it sounds great. I know it's super early to say, but, I'm so looking forward to the next album to hear and get a taste of what else yall cook up, lol.