New Theocracy Album "Ghost Ship" Announced

I got "Beginnings" by Nouveaux on CD way back when it came out, so I still have my copy. Will be listening to that song and imagining what the Theocracy version sounds like until they finally release it. Hopefully, it will be sooner than later. And I hope the Club of Souls comes back soon as well. Didn't see any link to it at all on the newly updated page. :( And the album teaser sounds great, Matt! Can't wait for October.... So far awaaaaaaayyyyy.......

I'm highly looking forward to this! I also was wondering what happened to the Club of Souls?

Getting closer... The teaser sounds fantastic!

The website looks great too, but I can't see any link to Ultimate Metal.

Hey Vaalwrath, isn't "So far awaaaaaaayyyyyy" a Roxette song?
My cats gave me both Swedish Hitz Goes Metal CDs for Fathers' Day - not that either features that song.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vaalwrath
Matt, this is all recorded in your studio? Amazing sound! I just listened to the trailer, just incredible!

Correct. Thanks! :)
Lots of practice over the last several years between working on our stuff and mixing other bands.

Thank you all for the kind words--I'm glad you're so excited and can't wait for you to hear it! We've been working on it for so long that I'm dying for other people to hear it...

Good call on the forum and Club of Souls links on the new site--I'll ask Harmon about them.

And finally, I can't believe how many people are asking about that Nouveaux cover! It wasn't for a bonus track--I'm kicking around the idea of doing a covers EP sometime soon with a few cool songs like that. I wasn't sure if people would be interested in something like that from Theocracy, but apparently so! But we wanted to get the new album out first before worrying about that.

Thank you all again!

That was a Sanken CU41 on the lead vocals and a Neumann TLM102 on the choirs.
Sanken, that's pretty exotic! What made you choose that mic? What mic preamp? Sorry about all the questions Matt, You are outstanding at what you do and I am a huge sucker for music gear!

Last edited:
No worries--always fun to talk about gear. :)

I picked up the Sanken because I was always curious about them since Geoff used that mic on Mindcrime, Empire and Promised Land, and one randomly showed up used cheap at Guitar Center back when I hadn't yet gotten my U87s.
It worked ok--it's a very neutral and "true" mic, so the midrange was linear, which was good, but it needed to be brightened up pretty drastically. The chain was the Sanken into a Vintech 273 or Neve 1073 (depending on the song) into an Empirical Labs Lil' Freq for brightening up top, into an Empirical Labs Fatso for compression and warmth.
Then at mix it went through the Lil' Freq again (for even more top end) and a Retro 176 compressor. Hope this helps!

Sanken, that's pretty exotic! What made you choose that mic? What mic preamp? Sorry about all the questions Matt, You are outstanding at what you do and I am a huge sucker for music gear!

Thanks so much Matt! Always cool to see what equipment people use and why. Just pre-ordered your CD off Amazon, can't wait to hear it!

All the snippets and the teaser sound great! This seems to have the potential to become my new favorite Theocracy album.
By the way...did anybody else think of Tourniquet when hearing the heavy riffs at the beginning of the teaser? Great minds think alike :thumbsup:

Getting closer... The teaser sounds fantastic!

The website looks great too, but I can't see any link to Ultimate Metal.

Hey Vaalwrath, isn't "So far awaaaaaaayyyyyy" a Roxette song?
My cats gave me both Swedish Hitz Goes Metal CDs for Fathers' Day - not that either features that song.

I guess it is.... Hadn't really thought about that when I posted it, lol. But an E.P. of Theocracy covers sounds pretty sweet!..... But, then again, so does a Theocracy Christmas album..... but I digress, lol. ;) Especially if it means we'll get that bonus song from the Japan version of "As the World Bleeds", which I still haven't been able to nab, despite going to several Japanese sites as well as Amazon for a decent price. Nor the Japan version of "Mirror of Souls".... But I DID manage to nab a copy of the digipack version of MOS for pretty cheap. Less than $18 dollars after taxes/shipping & handling. The wait for the new album is killing me..... 48 more days to go.... well, no, since I pre-ordered, a little less than that, but.....

I have already pre-ordered 3 copies of the upcoming "Ghost Ship" album - if for no other reason than the undeniably incredible chorus from the song "Easter" in the Official Album Teaser, which begins at 1:26. I cannot understand why some of Matt's songs haven't been used as soundtracks in movies simply because many of them are so inspiring and powerful; the aforementioned track preview perfectly captures (for me) the joyous spirit of hope and joy that the resurrection and promises of Jesus Christ hold for all of us who believe in him - even more so in such a dark and fallen world.

Looking forward to the eventual posting of the lyrics for the new album here on the boards, which are are as of great importance as the melodies (an opinion that it appears likely Mr Smith shares, judging by the quality of composition of same to date :) ) A heartfelt Thank You - to Matt and the band, what you are doing has eternal value: I sincerely hope that the album sells extremely well and enables your talent - and most of all - its message(s) to reach so many people who need the peace and joy that surpasses all understanding, that can come only from our God.
Rob

Reactions: Vaalwrath and Aish!
Only 5 weeks to go - give or take for me, with shipping to Australia.

I've just ordered Ghost Ship through Ulterium with the bonus of the S/T on CD, & I'm really looking forward to hearing both.

Already owning the original S/T CD, I've waited a few years to buy the re-release, hoping for a bonus version, but I'm sure it will be bonus enough as it is!

And finally, I can't believe how many people are asking about that Nouveaux cover! It wasn't for a bonus track--I'm kicking around the idea of doing a covers EP sometime soon with a few cool songs like that. I wasn't sure if people would be interested in something like that from Theocracy, but apparently so! But we wanted to get the new album out first before worrying about that.

Thank you all again!

Speaking for myself (and many others), I would buy a quadruple disc set of Theocracy Covers. :)

Reactions: Vaalwrath and Aish!

Thank you all again!

I was just thinking this morning that having an acoustic cover of the entire And This is How I Feel album by Nouveaux would be incredible! You would definitely take a perfect album that impacted so many back in the day into the present. Pumped to hear more EPs soon. Theocracized Petra would be cool from the On Fire era. :D

Reactions: Aish!