New Thy Art is Murder video - Will Putney production

I am blown away if those really are natural drums (snare/toms). That's crazy. I must know the secrets.

Print with audible preamp distortion, multiple passes through compressors, likely to be some parallel compression in there as well. Listen to how dirty and fucked up the midrange, and then listen to the toms actually distorting on the hard hits in the breakdown towards the end. To quote Will, "that's the sound of transformers blowing up."

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=10433413

Does this do it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good fucking lord, I have to have this album. The fucking BRUTALITY. And it sounds great while it's happening, two horns way up.

Print with audible preamp distortion, multiple passes through compressors, likely to be some parallel compression in there as well. Listen to how dirty and fucked up the midrange, and then listen to the toms actually distorting on the hard hits in the breakdown towards the end. To quote Will, "that's the sound of transformers blowing up."

Nice. The main thing I am interested in is how he managed to put the source through all of that without getting HH bleed brought up to obnoxious levels. I can guess during slower snare sections a gate would do, but what about during the blasts where the hits are so close it has no time to close and open, yet you don't hear the HH jumping up in volume.

He said he'd screen shot the automation for me. It was apparently exhausting.

Ohhh how I'd love to see that. I am always striving to get natural snare to sound as good as like how he got with this. My trouble is always with HH bleed. I've been thinking about getting one of the guards like Baressi uses on his snare mic to help, but seeing how Putney did this magic would certainly help too :D

As someone who's been striving to achieve something similar with Drums the answer is a metric cunt-ton of automation. Don't think there's much point knowing exactly how Will got there as everyone's workflow will be different.

As someone who's been striving to achieve something similar with Drums the answer is a metric cunt-ton of automation. Don't think there's much point knowing exactly how Will got there as everyone's workflow will be different.

Well for one thing, it would help to see what he is automating.

But aside from that its just will. His ears know things. He has foresight for days. His engineering chops are excellent. I really could have never picked a better guy to craft our record.

i can +1 what Marshy and Jeff say. I know for a FACT that the SNR is natural, albeit of course, obscenely and AWESOME processed. Hard to believe? Fuck yes. But we're talking Will Putney here. Not some laptop metal kid who used to be in a band that recorded with Sturgis, saw his process and decided to open a 'studio' and continued the REGRESSOION happening in metal production.

Automation is the key here. Only way to do it.

A lot of work, but the payoff is totally worth it if you want to go with ALL NATURAL drums....aside from the kick (depends on genre' but for the shit I do, I ALWAYS end up sampling the kick, so)... =D

Just enjoy how BRUTALLLLLLLLLLL this shit is.

we're talking Will Putney here. Not some laptop metal kid who used to be in a band that recorded with Sturgis, saw his process and decided to open a 'studio' and continued the REGRESSOION happening in metal production.

funny i just saw you begging to the same "laptop metal kids" to buy your kick samples :erk: ..awkward