New to DIs and reamping:Halp!!!

penguin_316

New Metal Member
Oct 17, 2009
So I am trying to get into reamping after a friend told me about this new Engl 530 amp sim and I can't get it to sound good for the life of me.

1)I am using -18 Db on my DI input from a podxt(i think this is my main problem..the Pod as a DI)
2)I make 4 tracks, 2 left and 2 right...panning as 100% and 80% for left and right sides
3) I make a group channel and run all 4 tracks into one
4)I am using the vst plug in of the Engl 530
5)I am using SIR to run catharsis' s-highpres impulse
6) I run a high/low pass filter at 80Hz and 11,750Hz and EQ -1.5Db at 130Hz with a medium Q(100-200Hz)

So why am I getting fizz and not the tone of my dreams. Seriously, any help is appreciated.

Oh, and I forgot to mention I have my Podxt set up to "send clean guitar" so it isn't some kind of issue with whether my DI track is clean.

for startes, you need to have one amp sim and one cab sim for EACH guitar track, unless you are running stereo versions of the TSE X30 an stereo impulses. then you can run the L&R to a channel, but no more than 2 guitars this way. think of the sim as an amp, and the sim as a cab. you wouldn't run more than one guitar into an amp/cab. like I said. there is nothing wrong with using a POD as a DI. I have a Line 6 UX8 and use it for my DI's. just make sure it's sending a completely clean signal to the DAW. the only reason you would need to use the pad is if your pickup is clipping the input. if it's not, turn it off. try that and see how it works for ya and get back to us. good luck, and welcome to the best forum on the internet :)

So I am trying to get into reamping after a friend told me about this new Engl 530 amp sim and I can't get it to sound good for the life of me.

1)I am using -18 Db on my DI input from a podxt(i think this is my main problem..the Pod as a DI)
2)I make 4 tracks, 2 left and 2 right...panning as 100% and 80% for left and right sides
3) I make a group channel and run all 4 tracks into one
4)I am using the vst plug in of the Engl 530
5)I am using SIR to run catharsis' s-highpres impulse
6) I run a high/low pass filter at 80Hz and 11,750Hz and EQ -1.5Db at 130Hz with a medium Q(100-200Hz)

So why am I getting fizz and not the tone of my dreams. Seriously, any help is appreciated.

I make a group channel

ok

and run all 4 tracks into one

not ok

Group em for post-EQ or stuff like that, but use an amp and an impulse loader per track.

EDIT : Sorry, I didn't see FS' answer. Pretty much same thing as mine!

Ok good stuff guys, it figures I would noob it up with something logical lol. I'll give it a go you way. I was just lumping them together cause i figured it would be easier on my overall CPU since i have stability issues with all this stuff going on at once.

For impulse cabsims (i.e. SIR, Voxengo Pristine Space etc.) group channel is appropriate, because convolution is linear process (of course stereo processing must be used).
Ampsim is different beast, stereo processing with guitars panned left and right will be OK, but same CPU usage will be with two mono-instances, so no gain...
Only convolution can save some CPU power.