New to Empirical Labs EL8

shredder10

Replace that #@#|@#∞!!
May 19, 2010
Caracas
www.myspace.com
Hello friends,

It's been a while since i posted here, this time i write you guys here to ask for some guidance with this Distressor i purchased some weeks ago, and arrived today.

I have a vocal session to record within a couple days and i'd love to try this buddy while tracking.

Is there a recommended/particular chain setup you'd suggest?

Thanks dudes, and dudettes? :D

I use it on the way in, and I run mic>mic pre>distressor>line input on my interface.

I usually start with these settings..

ratio 3:1
DET: HP
AUDIO: HP Dist 2
Input 7
Attack 5
Release 5
Output 7

I often use the opto setting on vox, sometimes followed by a 1176 style setting during mixdown
The opto has a great charm though, especially on bass and vox....I never use the middle settings on anything, usually it's either very fast attack, or very slow attack...no idea why tbh.

I use it on the way in, but i usually split the signal before the AD (half normalled patch bay), and record the dry and the compressed vox on separate tracks, just to be safe.

Great!!
Thanks Brian, i take it those are safe starting points! =)

For further attitude sounding vocals, would you push it a bit more
right there while tracking or after, during mix down? How has it worked best for you?

I was thinking about that, keeping the original and unprocessed signal.
Don't want to overdo it and mess things up since i'm not that accustomed to it yet but as i've been discovering it handles heavy comp real good.
But, am not sure how it'll behave on context.

I've been fiddling with it all day, and i agree Lasse; it's doing real fine and smooth using the opto settings.
Using the settings suggested on the user manual hasn't reported as effective, maybe i'm missing the nuances of it.

About that 1176 style setting, that'd be on the same unit right?

Also, i've never been a fan of ITB comps on guitars; have you tried this one on them?

Thnx!

I normally run 4:1 or 6:1, Attack between 3 and 5, Release between 1 and 2, Dist 3 mode. That's on the way in with vocals. Normally just kissing the yellow on GR. Has worked 100% of the time.

I tried the opto mode once, but not again. Not really sure why, but I think mostly because it doesn't sound like an opto comp to me, and I'd rather use it for its own sounds, with tweakability rather than go for some la-3 preset which doesn't sound like one.

One cool thing about distressors are you cant make them sound bad, even if you push them hard they seem smooth.

Well, i wish i could own one of those classics gear! But hey i think it's a great improvement from the not so incredible 160A though.
Thanks Ermin, i'll try your suggestion too. You've had this unit for a long time now right!

I think this is one of the settings mentioned in the manual that I really like on the way in:

6:1, attack at 2, release at 1 or .5, HP detector in. This setting kinda acts like an L1. Catches all the peaks and really nails them and doesn't catch a lot of the soft stuff...very transparent given the high ratio.