new to metal

Have to agree there.

Immolation are probably the best Death Metal band around today, don't know why I didn't mention them.

As for the Black Metal recommendations :lol:

Avoid Dimmu Borgir and Cradle Of Filth.

They are a joke.

The only black Metal I find worth listening to is

Dissection
Graveland
Demoniac
Emperor
Immortal (Early)

I suppose Early Suidakra is Black Metal, now more Folky Death Metal.

Iced Earth are the top for me when it comes to Power Metal

Burnt Offerings is far and away their best album, just avoid the hideous Days Of Purgatory, it's horrible.

Nevermore need to be mentioned, check out the album Dead Heart In A Dead World, great album, a masterpiece of Modern Metal

Heavy Metal Samurai said:
Have to agree there.

Immolation are probably the best Death Metal band around today, don't know why I didn't mention them.
I had just mentioned them as the first band in the previous post. I don't know if I consider them the best death metal band, but someone who likes latter day Gorguts would definitley like Immolation, so it is a good recommendation for the guy.

MURAI said:
Why did you not like Nile instantly like I did? They have that epic atmosphere in their songs.

Well, assuming I could ever like it, I probably listened to it at a time when I wasn't in the mood for it. I am pretty fickle, and since right now I am really enjoying the few metal CDs that I have (including, right now as I type, "In Their Darkened Shrines" . . . so yes it was my mood at the time), I thought I better dive into it and learn as much about it as I can before my mood switches and I want to listen to Jacques Brel or Gyorgy Ligeti. Thus in a few hours days weeks when my interest is renewed I'll have a variety of things to listen to.

Okay, I'm back with my most recent purchases and orders (not all metal but whatever):

Current 93- Dogs Blood Rising
Paddy McAloon- I Trawl The Megahertz
Hark Hollis- s/t
My Dying Bride- Angel and the Dark River
Cryptopsy- None So Vile
Sun 0)))- Flight of the Behemoth
Opeth- Blackwater Park
Neurosis- Times of Grace
Earth- Earth 2
The Zombies- Zombie Heaven
Ved Buens Ende- Written in Waters
Khanate- Something Viral

So . . . currently I possess the Opeth, Khanate, Ved Buens Ende albums. The rest are in the mail somewhere.
Very preliminary opinions:
Opeth: I like this for the most part, but some of the guitar parts annoy me.
Khanate: Well, I'm not sure what to think. At first I hated the vocals . . . but it's really growing on me. Musically it's great.
Ved Buens Ende- Also didn't care for the vocals as much (liked them even less than Khanate), but again, musically it's great.
This will all change with time.

I'm really looking forward to the Cryptopsy album. Never have I moved my mouse so quickly as I did between the time of hearing the first few seconds of the sound clip and clicking on the order button.

I think next time I make an order I will focus on trying out more of the extreme stuff.

Blimey, going in at the deep end with Cryptopsy methinks.

Well, if you enjoy Cryptopsy, you should enjoy Nile, Enthroned, Morbid Angel, Carcass, Kataklysm, Rigor Mortis and Sadus, to name a few :)

hello mr. palomar...

my musical background is quite the same as yours (i start listening to metal in the late 80's then i listen to john zorn in 1990 and it change my life :lol: ).....

so i think i am the right person to suggest something....

let's go:

ATROX-great norwegian band with avantgarde female vocalist...i love monika edvardsen:cool:...check also TACTILE GEMMA with her....

MESHUGGAH-i think you have to listen to them better 'cause they are the real avantgarde metal at best...

FREDERIK THORDENDAL'S SPECIAL DEFECT-it is the solo album from guitarist of meshuggah....highly recommended jazz metal avant music....like a mix between free jazz-allan holdsworth and morbid angel :lol:

CANDIRIA-as mentioned before...to me highly better than dillinger escape plan...kenneth schalk their drummer is a monster...he should be the new drummer of painkiller not hamid drake :lol:

PECCATUM-gothic metal avantgarde from ihsahn ex EMPEROR mastermind

SAND INTO LIQUID(ex-MEGACE)-great avant prog metal from germany ...with a great nina hagen-ish female vocalist...

ORIGIN and last SKINLESS album-they have both john longhstren the most impressive metal drummer ever together with flo mournier of CRYPTOPSY.......

THE DESERT OF TRAUN-solo project by ex ESTRADASPHERE drummer david murray...like thordendal album but more in the black metal way...

DEATH-all albums after LEPROSY...expecially INDIVIDUAL TOUGHT PATTERNS and HUMAN...

SECRECY-really hard to find ones...but they were the best prog metal ever...

CYNIC-avantgarde death metal fusion...a classic

MEKONG DELTA-strange mix between classic metal-trash and contemporary classical music....

AESMA DAEVA-gothic experimental metal from u.s.a. with operatic vocals...

ESOTERIC-the best doom metal band ....forget khanate :lol:

RAM ZET-cyber metal meet gothic with some bizarre inserts...

DEATHROW-"deception ignored" album was a pioneer in technical experimental trash before meshuggah...

VOIVOD-until "nothingface" they were the quintessence of experimental metal...

NOCTURNUS-cyber death metal

KAYO DOT isn't metal...is a good post rock album..personally i don't suggest it...but i hate post rock..so...

:)

forget khanate :lol:

)

I wouldn't go that far... but if you like Merzbow you'll fall in love with Esoteric and Khanate. Things Viral is incredible.

I'll try to repeat anybody, most of what i would've suggested has already been, but anyways, here it goes:

Anacrusis: Progressive Thrash, no its not an oxymoron

Martyr: Technical Death Metal very much in the vein of Atheist (they share a guitar player with Gorguts actually!)

Enslaved (viking metal, then went more progressive/psychedelic) I recommend Below the Lights, Monumension. Maradraum is a bit inconsistent but the opening track is awesome. Eld is a very good album as well.

Bathory: Hammerheart, Twilight of the Gods, Blood Fire Death and Blood on Ice.

In The Woods...: If you like Agalloch I heavily suggest you give this (sadly) departed band a try.

At the Gates: Slaughter of the Soul

Earth: Not the pre-Black Sabbath banmd but the Drone band from the early 90's. Someone mentioned Sunn O))) and they're very similair

Burning Witch: Similair to Khanate and Khante, which could be explained by the fact that they share two members (Stephen O'Malley and Greg Anderson, these men are geniuses!)

thats it for now

I'm partial to:

Deicide - best death metal money can buy
Vital Remains - death
Cryptopsy - ultra-heavy canadian death
Cradle of Filth - more symphonic/melodic black metal
Enslaved - prolific black metal
Behemoth - old albums: old school black new albums: death
Goatwhore - old school black metal
Arch Enemy - melodic death/prog
Amon Amarth - melodic death
Burzum - black metal band that started it all
Dying Fetus - ultra-heavy death
Emperor - innovators of black metal genre
Hate Eternal - powerful death
Kataklysm - canadian imported death
Lamb of God - heaviest new american death metal
Marduk - old school black metal
Mayhem - old school black metal
Misfits - Gods; Danzig owns your soul
Opeth - uncategoriable metal
Slayer - Old school death
Suffocation - old school death
Venom - one of the first black metal bands
Zyklon - reincarnation of Emperor in a death metal band's body

If you're into wierd stuff I'd highly recommend you should check out LIBIDO AIRBAG - a mix of industrial, techno/drum & bass and extreme goregrind. Really wierd and funny shit. They're from Germany, go figure.
Download some samples from the site and let us know what you think.

you should also check out these electronic/industrial-influenced bands.....
S.M.E.S.
Nunwhore Commando 666
Smothered Brothers
Dataclast