French Black Metal

polarity

New Metal Member
Feb 19, 2004
I'm looking for recommendations, again :)

I've heard Deathspell Omega's latest, which is fucking incredible, as well as "Inuquisitors of Satan". I've also heard Mutiilation's "Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul," which is kinda nice, if hard to get into. That's pretty much the extent of my French BM experience. I know Torgeist, Belketre and Vlad Tepes are supposed to be premiere bands, but I don't know what releases are worth checking out. Please don't just recommend artists, but releases also, and don't recommend anything that isn't at least notably original, if not seminal. Thanks.

I second Mutiilation's opus Vampires of Black Imperial Blood.

Also, check out these releases;

Ad Hominem - Planet Zog: The End
Belketre - Ambre Zuetki Vuordrevartre
Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vertusta
Blut Aus Nord - Ultima Thulee
Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
Children of Maani - Veil of Osiris
Haemoth - Vice, Suffering and Destruction
Kristallnacht - Of Elitism and War
Nehemah - Shadows of the Past
Peste Noire - Macabre Transcendance
Vlad Tepes + Belketre - March to the Black Holocaust

suela said:
Check out the bands "Seth" and "Anorexia Nervosa"

Unless you fancy CoF, avoid Anorexia Nervosa.

Hirilorn is a good band.

The newer Mutiilation albums are too norse. Not interesting.

"Light of a Dead Star" is the best Nehemah.

Try "Et pleure le batard" by Seviss. the band is comprised of VT and Belketre members, they resemble Malicious Secrets, another French band.

"Notre Amour Eternel" by Belenos is a superb release.

I'll second Mutiilation's "Vampires of Black Imperial Blood". It's just unbelievably dark and antisocial. It feels like it was recorded the day after the band murdered someone. The first two tracks are espeically brillant.

Also Blut Aus Nord's "The Work Which Transforms God" is essential as well. Extreemly dark, but in a totally different way then VoBIB. Extreemly atmospheric and layered.

I only have 2/3 of Deathspell Omega's "Infernal Battles" (damn you dial up!) but those 2/3 are excellent.

Vlad Tepes are deffinitely an interesting band, but theres not much going on musically, so they don't have much staying power. Good nontheless...

Antaeus - De Principii Evangelikum is one seriously deranged album. Really good too, and the vocalist is the same as on the latest Deathspell Omega. I haven't heard CYFAWS so I don't know if it's any good.

Demiurge said:
Unless you fancy CoF, avoid Anorexia Nervosa.

Hirilorn is a good band.

The newer Mutiilation albums are too norse. Not interesting.

"Light of a Dead Star" is the best Nehemah.

Try "Et pleure le batard" by Seviss. the band is comprised of VT and Belketre members, they resemble Malicious Secrets, another French band.

"Notre Amour Eternel" by Belenos is a superb release.
Notre Amour Eternel rules + the reedition of Notre Amour Eternel and Triste Pensée are available on L'ancien Temps (completly different productions but still rule)

Memoria Vetusta is superb , it's maybe the best Blut Aus Nord album along with The Work ...but more beautiful & melodic . Get the re-release this year as soon as it'll come out

I don't really have much to add, but these are albums I'd recommend:
Ad Hominem - Planet Zog: The End
Belenos - Notre Amour Eternel
Belketre - Ambre Zuetki Vuordrevartre
Belketre/Vlad Tepes - March to the Black Holocaust
Black Murder - Feasts
Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
Hirilorn - Legend of Evil and Eternal Death
Mutiilation - Vampires of Black Imperial Blood
Nehemah - Light of a Dead Star

Sorath said:
Antaeus - De Principii Evangelikum is one seriously deranged album. Really good too, and the vocalist is the same as on the latest Deathspell Omega. I haven't heard CYFAWS so I don't know if it's any good.

Antaeus absolutely fucking rules. Easily one of the top ten black metal bands ever, regardless of where from.

Cut your Flesh and Worship Satan is an essential entry into ANY collection.