The Black Metal Timeline

MasterOLightning

Optimator
Jun 3, 2003
Chicago
www.myspace.com
There are those who vehemently state that black metal died. The year they give varies, be it '94, '95, or '96. While some argue that the death of
black metal was largely of an ideological sort, others will say that black metal came to a musical demise at this time. I have always doubted this musical demise, feeling that the importance and quality of some early releases was greatly exaggerated out of a sense of nostalgia and elitism while newer releases have been overlooked.

I don't really want to discuss ideologies here. I want to look at the quality of albums produced in given years, starting in 1990 or so. Some will argue that ideology largely determines the quality of black metal, which I agree with to an extent, but when I hear high quality metal coming from ideologically empty bands like Velvet Cacoon, it casts doubt upon the necessity of a true ideological foundation. People who especially identify with the ANUS point of view--I'm interested in what you have to say, but I don't want to see the thread denigrate into the types of arguments that usually occur with ANUS people.

Now the reason this isn't something I'm just doing on my own time is because my knowledge of black metal is far from complete. I need all of your input in filling in what the most significant black metal releases have been. I'm looking for the releases you would categorize as being "very good" or better. Albums that would score at least 8/10 in most people's minds. If the lists start to get out of hand, I'd trim out the more borderline choices. I'd also include albums that have been important or influential in spite of mixed opinions on the quality (ex; Mayhem's Grand Declaration of War, or Emperor's IX Equilibrium; albums by critical bands that mark large changes). That being said, there's no need to list every Darkthrone album Total Death through The Cult is Alive, or all the experimental Ulver albums.

I'm just going to start by posting a few no-brainers and then I'll open the thread so people can start suggesting. Remember that I'm interested in looking at things year by year, so give the year of the albums you think represent the best black metal has to offer. There seems to be enough of a mix of old school and new school black metal fans to get a good balance.
Bathory - Blood Fire Death

Bathory - Hammerheart
Master's Hammer - Ritual
Root - Zjevení / The Revelation
Beherit - The Oath of Black Blood
Root - Hell Symphony
Samael - Worship Him
Burzum - s/t
Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky
Immortal - Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism
Sabbat - Evoke
Samael - Blood Ritual
Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon
Burzum - Det Som Engang Var
Darkthrone - Under a Funeral Moon
Dissection - The Somberlain
Immortal - Pure Holocaust
Necromantia - Crossing the Fiery Path
Rotting Christ - Thy Mighty Contract
Satyricon - Dark Medieval Times
Varathron - His Majesty at the Swamp
Abigor - Verwüstung / Invoke the Dark Age
Bethlehem - Dark Metal
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi
Gorgoroth - Pentagram
Graveland - Carpathian Wolves
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Darkthrone - Panzerfaust
Fullmoon - United Aryan Evil
Graveland - Thousand Swords
Ildjarn - Ildjarn, Det Frysende Nordariket
Immortal - Battles in the North
Kvist - For Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike
Mütiilation - Vampires of Black Imperial Blood
Necromantia - Scarlet Evil Witching Black
Vlad Tepes/Belketre - March to the Black Holocaust
Blut aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta I - Fathers Of The Icy Age
Burzum - Filosofem
Gorgoroth - Antichrist
Ildjarn - Forest Poetry
Ildjarn - Strength and Anger
Sacramentum - Far Away From The Sun
Sort Vokter - Folkloric Necro Metal
Summoning - Dol Guldur
Aeternus - Beyond the Wandering Moon
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Graveland - Following the Voice of Blood
Hades - The Dawn of the Dying Sun
Moonblood - Blut & Krieg
Nagelfar - Hünengrab im Herbst
Nokturnal Mortum - Goat Horns

Mutiilation - Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul

Averse Sefira - Battle's Clarion

Drudkh - Forgotten Legends
Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God

Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
Dark Tribe - In Jeraspunta - Die Rueckkehr Der Tollwuetigen Bestie
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
Velvet Cacoon - Genevieve
Deathspell Omega - Kenose
Drudkh - Blood in Our Wells
I know that's not many yet. I'll be working on it. Please be selective in your recommendations, otherwise the list will be too large to be useful. And nitpicking over one choice or another too much isn't productive either.

Well obviously Blood Fire Death by Bathory in 1988. I suppose that could be considered a landmark album, not only because most people consider it to be good, but because Quorthon started branching off from Black Metal.

A more recent Black Metal album is The End of Halcyon Age by Twilight Ophera. I don't think it got a very favorable review on Metal Archives. I think it's kind of in the vein of Emperor, with synths and various melodies over the riffs.

And I agree with Battle's Clarion :)

I'll add Bathory, but I don't see the point in digging back much farther than '88 since I'm interested in whether black metal does indeed take a precipitous drop in quality in the mid/late '90s. I don't know of many BM albums made '97-'02 that are very highly esteemed. I started following metal in '03, so I'm more aware of the esteemed releases from that point onward.

Here's my contribution

1987:

Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Mayhem - Deathcrush
Sarcofago - I.N.R.I

1988:

Tormentor - Anno Domini

1990:

Blasphemy - Fallen Angel of Doom
Master's Hammer - Ritual
Root - Zjevení / The Revelation

1991:

Beherit - The Oath of Black Blood
Root - Hell Symphony
Samael - Worship Him

1992:

Sabbat - Evoke
Samael - Blood Ritual

1993:

Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon
Havohej - Dethrone the Son of God
Impaled Nazarene - Ugra-Karma
Necromantia - Crossing the Fiery Path
Rotting Christ - Thy Mighty Contract
Throne of Ahaz - Nifelheim
Varathron - His Majesty at the Swamp

1994:

Abigor - Verwüstung / Invoke the Dark Age
Bethlehem - Dark Metal
Countess - The Return of the Horned One
Forgotten Woods - As the Wolves Gather
Gorgoroth - Pentagram
Graveland - Carpathian Wolves
Infernum - Taur-Nu-Fuin
Mortuary Drape - All the Witches Dance
Rotting Christ - Non Serviam

1995:

Abigor - Nachthymnen (From the Twilight Kingdom)
Arckanum - Fran Marder
Barathrum - Eerie
Ildjarn - Det Frysende Nordariket
Ildjarn - Ildjarn
Immortal - Battles in the North
Kvist - For Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike
Lugubrum - Winterstones
Legion of Doom - Kingdom of Endless Darkness
Maniac Butcher - Barbarians
Mock - Vinterlandet
Mütiilation - Vampires of Black Imperial Blood
Necromantia - Scarlet Evil Witching Black
Summoning - Minas Morgul
Vlad Tepes/Belketre - March to the Black Holocaust

1996:

Absurd - Facta Loquuntur
Bethlehem - Dictius Te Necare
Blut aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta I - Fathers Of The Icy Age
Falkenbach - ...En Their Medh Riki Fara...
Gorgoroth - Antichrist
Ildjarn - Forest Poetry
Ildjarn - Strength and Anger
Isvind - Dark Waters Stir
Maniac Butcher - Lucan Antikrist
Mortuary Drape - Secret Sudaria
Mysticum - In the Streams of Inferno
Sacramentum - Far Away From The Sun
Sacrilegium - Wicher
Sort Vokter - Folkloric Necro Metal
Summoning - Dol Guldur

1997:

Aeternus - Beyond the Wandering Moon
Forest - Like a Blaze Above the Ashes
Graveland - Following the Voice of Blood
Hades - The Dawn of the Dying Sun
Kampfar - Mellom Skogkledde Aaser
Legion of Doom - For Those of the Blood
Moonblood - Blut & Krieg
Nagelfar - Hünengrab im Herbst
Nokturnal Mortum - Goat Horns
Obtained Enslavement - Witchcraft
Sorhin - I Det Glimrande Mörkrets Djup
Veles - Veles - Black Hateful Metal

I'm going to leave it there for now. I could've added a few more, but I feel these are the best and should be investigated by enthusiasts of the genre. I might add some more from later years when I can be bothered.

Reactions: MasterOLightning
I don't really see what listing all this stuff does towards proving black metal isn't dead, other than saying that there are still quality releases out there to enjoy. My picks of ones not already mentioned:

Tiamat - The Sumerian Cry

Fester - Winter of Sin

Dissection - The Somberlain
Satyricon - Dark Medieval Times

Fullmoon - United Aryan Evil
Zyklon-B - Blood Must Be Shed

Destroyer 666 - Unchain the Wolves

Aeternus - ... And So the Night Became

Windir - Arntor

Destroyer 666 - Phoenix Rising
Weakling - Dead as Dreams

Nachtfalke - Doomed to Die

Astriaal - Renascent Misanthropy
Watain - Casus Luciferi

Dark Tribe - In Jeraspunta - Die Rueckkehr Der Tollwuetigen Bestie
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora

Averse Sefira - Tetragrammatical Astygmata

Reactions: MasterOLightning
I added a big chunk of releases. Thanks Byne and Malignance. I included selections that I remember being highly praised. I left off some because I didn't want one person's judgment to play too big a role.

I'm surprised more people aren't interested in this thread. Too much to read I guess. I suppose a lot of people aren't really so interested in breaking stuff down like this either.

I'm sorry, but you ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT ignore Hellhammer for the purpose of this thread. Please add the following:

1984 - Hellhammer - Apocalyptic Raids

Also, this:

1992:

Immortal - Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism

black metal is not dead...far from it!!! the best stuff is in the underground, we can mention classic albums all we like their is still a fair undergrowth especially in europe.

Whenever I hear or read someone about someone saying "Black Metal is dead" I always think about painting, and how in the fine art world, every 10 years or so (ever since the camera was invented) some douche says that painting is dead, and the art world shuns it for a while, until a few years later it of course comes "back".

Some forms of art, for whatever reason, have the bad luck of being proposed as dead every so often. I suppose because people think nothing more can be done with it. And they are always proven wrong.

No, I don't think black metal is dead. Far from it. But I did want some way to substantiate that claim. And I haven't been proactively updating things as I should have been. I'll add Anthems, although I find it to be a "good" album at best. After the first half it really falls off. But because so many people love it, I'll put it in. By the way, anyone who prefers Anthems over ITNE could not possibly be any more wrong. Anyone with good taste knows that ITNE (and probably WotT) is better.

I certainly would include Xasthur and Leviathan. I have such a hard time deciding which are the best releases though. Many Xasthur releases are mediocre as whole, but at times touch greatness. Both seem to have their absolute best songs on split albums. I think the Xasthur/Leviathan split, Xasthur/Nortt split, and Tenth Sub-level of Suicide are the best releases of these bands. I'm interested in knowing what other people think though.